Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 05:40 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
No, but he didnt help either. For 2 months he didnt let the CDC experts warn of what could, might happen. Now look at us. We could of been more prepared if Trump didnt worry about himself and how this affects him so much. Its always about him.
Obama waited 6 months before he declared swine flu to be a national emergency, by then 12,000 people had died. take your phony outrage and shove it....

Old 03-14-2020, 06:29 PM

114 posts, read 57,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The problem with pointing at this one's 3.4% rate vs H1N1 is that corona is disproportionately affecting the older population, as in the people already vulnerable that would likely die with just about any bad infection anyways. It seems ridiculously hard to find an age breakdown of the mortality rate for H1N1. To reference the regular flu, about 81% of deaths occur in people 65 and older which has been the bulk of the corona cases period, not just the deaths. The data is ridiculously skewed.
I read about a guy just today who’s 35 years old he runs marathons and it’s considered extremely healthy. He caught the coronavirus and was quarantined with other folks who also had caught it. He was on the mend and almost over it and he apparently caught it a second time. They don’t know if it’s a mutated strain, or he hadn’t quite finished building up a natural immunity to it. They could’ve mutated amongst the people he was quarantined with. Anyhow, he’s now on a ventilator and he’s not expected to live much longer. I’m telling you, there’s something they’re not telling us about this virus. They know something they’re not telling us.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:31 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
I read about a guy just today who’s 35 years old he runs marathons and it’s considered extremely healthy. He caught the coronavirus and was quarantined with other folks who also had cotton it. He was on the mend and almost over it and he apparently caught it a second time. They don’t know if it’s a mutated strain, or he hadn’t quite finished building up a natural immunity to it. They could’ve mutated amongst the people he was quarantined with. Anyhow, he’s now on a ventilator and he’s not expected to live much longer. I’m telling you, there’s something they’re not telling us about this virus. They know something they’re not telling us.
I doubt it.
It's just an unknown.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvguru6338 View Post
I read about a guy just today who’s 35 years old he runs marathons and it’s considered extremely healthy. He caught the coronavirus and was quarantined with other folks who also had caught it. He was on the mend and almost over it and he apparently caught it a second time. They don’t know if it’s a mutated strain, or he hadn’t quite finished building up a natural immunity to it. They could’ve mutated amongst the people he was quarantined with. Anyhow, he’s now on a ventilator and he’s not expected to live much longer. I’m telling you, there’s something they’re not telling us about this virus. They know something they’re not telling us.
Very tragic story, no doubt, but also remember even young world-class athletes (younger than this guy) have died unexpectedly in the past and will die in the future as well. Just because this 35-year-old is someone who runs marathons and is considered "extremely healthy", it doesn't mean he couldn't of had an underlining condition, maybe genetic, maybe not, that could be causing COVID-19 to be doing a number on him, you just never know. I've also read of stories of 70 and 80-year-olds who were infected with coronavirus having only a mild form of it and coming out fine, you just never know, life's a lottery sometimes.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:19 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
I just didn't see all the politicization that I do now. What am I missing?
Honestly, I barely remember the hullabaloo about the Swine flu. It seemed to me like something that only affected elderly people. Trump has poisoned the country beyond belief and has done nothing but lie to the public, downplay the threat, defund the pandemic division while his hired lackies pretend like he’s an apt professional.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 03-14-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 07:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Tracking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The exponential increase however will see different results based on where one is.

If in a state with 6 now, and it doubles every 4 days for 12 days, you are at 6*2*2*2=48.

If in Mo, with 2 as of yesterday, 2*2*2*2=16.

If in NY, yesterday I saw case quantity of 427, that would be 3,416 (427*2*2*2)I believe, if it doubles every 4th day for 12 days.

Compounding matters, but far more in states with vast majority of activity NOW.
So if yesterday, 3/13/20, NY state had 427 (although I read 421 cases on rochesterfirst.com), by doing an informal tracking, let's see if the following happens in NY state as far as new cases according to the prediction:

3/13/20= 427 (confirmed at least 421 and 1 death as of that date)

TBD (to be determined):
3/17/20 = 854 cases ?
3/21/20 = 1708 cases ?
3/25/20 = 3416 cases ?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:31 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
So if yesterday, 3/13/20, NY state had 427 (although I read 421 cases on rochesterfirst.com), by doing an informal tracking, let's see if the following happens in NY state as far as new cases according to the prediction:

3/13/20= 427 (confirmed at least 421 and 1 death as of that date)

TBD (to be determined):
3/17/20 = 854 cases ?
3/21/20 = 1708 cases ?
3/25/20 = 3416 cases ?
I think we have to be careful with estimating how contagious it is with the numbers that we have. It is very contagious yes, but is the huge uptick the fact that the government got very few tests out initially so there were few confirmations and now that we are getting more tests we are getting more confirmations?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:51 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
This virus is going to kill a whole lot more people than the swine flu. I understand that Team Trump wants to deny science and facts every chance they get, but that really doesn't matter anymore. Just look around people... the U.S. Navy is quarantining their ships. Whole countries have shut down. The shelves at supermarkets are bare. And we are really only a couple of weeks into this. If things continue to deteriorate at this pace, a month from now, we will likely be without power or clean water. Forget about buying groceries.

We elected an absolute DOLT into the White House. His response has been catastrophically bad. Only a week ago he was calling it a hoax, now it's a national emergency. We are reaping the consequences of putting a reality TV con-man in office.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This virus is going to kill a whole lot more people than the swine flu. I understand that Team Trump wants to deny science and facts every chance they get, but that really doesn't matter anymore. Just look around people... the U.S. Navy is quarantining their ships. Whole countries have shut down. The shelves at supermarkets are bare. And we are really only a couple of weeks into this. If things continue to deteriorate at this pace, a month from now, we will likely be without power or clean water. Forget about buying groceries.

We elected an absolute DOLT into the White House. His response has been catastrophically bad. Only a week ago he was calling it a hoax, now it's a national emergency. We are reaping the consequences of putting a reality TV con-man in office.
When Trump was elected I thought to myself that our only hope as a nation would be to make it through his four years without a major crisis. We almost made it. The next ten days will more or less tell us how things are going to play out. This very well could be the end of life as we know it in the US. This could be to future generations what 1929 was to us; the end of an old way of life and the beginning of a bleak new reality.

I hope it doesn't get bad enough that we don't have power or running water.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Over 200,000 people died worldwide of 2009 swine flu, over 10,000 died in America alone.

39 people, most of them from a Washington rest home, have died in America from the coronavirus.
Yes and that was total. Covid-19 hasn't hit the peak yet. That said with closing everything down, it is actually gonna help reduce deaths in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies