Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 06:23 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

Right now the GOP has upped the dollars to $1200 and $2400 for joint filers.

Again we do not need it and I may not even get it if the income limit is 75k.

The GOP talking about floating a 50 year treasury bond to pay for this.

So all those children running around today get to fund this.

Happy days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 PM

1,138 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Not to us. We do not need it. Give it to those that have lost jobs or had hour's cut back.
I don't need it either, but if they are going to hand it out to career welfare receiving unemployed people, then I want a check too. I am sick of this culture of giving to the non productive and taking from the productive. It used to be work hard and be rewarded. Now it is don't work and be rewarded. That's why so many don't work anymore. It is time we rewarded effort, not laziness.

If people are really off because of the virus, that's one thing. But if they are just career bums, no way do they deserve another handout.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't think they will give it to people on SS. They are giving it to people who lost their income.
They need to give it to everyone or no one. When the government picks and chooses, you can bet the choices are never fair. I'd be happy to see nothing, but not if welfare recipients and college kids living on student loan money, get $1000.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:38 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Terrible idea. Complete waste of money that will make no difference in the average persons life. This is frivolous spending that will do nothing but bury us all deeper, once the smoke clears. It's a feel good political pander bandaid for a bleed out wound.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wish there was an opt out options for people like you who feel they don't need it.
They probably wouldn't opt out. Virtue signalers don't really do what they say they will do very often.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I don't need it either, but if they are going to hand it out to career welfare receiving unemployed people, then I want a check too. I am sick of this culture of giving to the non productive and taking from the productive. It used to be work hard and be rewarded. Now it is don't work and be rewarded. That's why so many don't work anymore. It is time we rewarded effort, not laziness.

If people are really off because of the virus, that's one thing. But if they are just career bums, no way do they deserve another handout.
What I saw was you needed a tax income of at least $2500 to get a payment.

Just nuts the amounts being tossed around by the GOP.

I expect Trump Inc. to be getting a nice check which will never be paid back.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wish there was an opt out options for people like you who feel they don't need it.
I do also.

Wife and I have talked about keeping 20% to cover taxes as it will be taxed next year.

Then we will give to a local (Rowan) helping group. Those people with all their problems need it more then ever.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:54 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
What I saw was you needed a tax income of at least $2500 to get a payment.

Just nuts the amounts being tossed around by the GOP.

I expect Trump Inc. to be getting a nice check which will never be paid back.
Also, if they don’t give $$ (outright grants, not loans), there may not be local businesses to go back to work to when this is over. My froend’s son just opened up his own restaurant about 4 months ago after high-falluting cheffing at some other restaurants. I worry about small businesses like his that will/are experiencing bad times in addition to those who employees who have lost their livelihoods.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 PM

The lower your taxable income the lower the amount you receive according to the GOP. It should only be going to those who have lost job or hour's

Old 03-19-2020, 07:00 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I say screw it. Give it the 2 weeks or whatever and then back to business as usual.
Can't crash the world because some old people are gonna die. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Quarantine and isolate old people and anyone with a compromised health situation. Everyone else recovers with no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies