Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:06 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,896,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How so? I'd really like to know. I've heard people repeat this but no one has had the knowledge to explain why.
The exact same rules and regulations would just have been in place a bit earlier.
Yes, we could have gotten a handle on this two months ago, which would have impacted the spread of infection and thus, the death rate. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:07 AM

37,973 posts, read 17,930,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
With Covid 19s fatality rate you could expect to see several million deaths in the USA alone. We are absolutely doing the right thing.
Show proof of this. I'd really like to know how you came up with this. It sounds like fake drama.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yes, we could have gotten a handle on this two months ago, which would have impacted the spread of infection and thus, the death rate. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
By how much? Go ahead and show proof that earlier regulations would have made the economy not as bad.

You wont because you can't. You need to actually show some proof using facts, logic, and reason. But instead you say things to say things and all to often you've been proven wrong. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:10 AM

78,713 posts, read 60,892,997 times
Op's political fervor has gotten the better of their ability to look ahead at how the death toll could be more than a couple hundred old people if we don't nip this early.

If this spreads nationally and we just did business as usual, we'd be looking at more like a few million dead people.

Oh wait, I get it! Is this the OP's plan to fix social security?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,989,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a mandated lockdown (like what china did, with militarized police going door to door) is unconstitutional
So would you rather be alive or dead?

Anyway, if the government wanted to do this, there aren't enough military, national guard and local law enforcement available to even do that.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:12 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,483,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
At this point we do not know exactly who is vulnerable. There are reports of healthy younger people ending up in ICU on ventilators. If they survive, some have lung damage. There hasn't been enough time yet to know if their lungs will ever heal.
The damage done to survivors can be terrible. I remember my my great aunt Isis who survived influenza a hundred years ago as a young girl. It was why she had false teeth at the age of 15 supposedly, respitory problems her whole life and only one child.

My point is, with the nature of this virus, with it's 2 week incubation period, it's apparent fast mutation rate we're in for a beating. Don't make other aspects of it worse.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:13 AM

962 posts, read 615,881 times
To those claiming this virus has the potential to kill "millions" or "several millions", please provide evidence to substantiate such statements.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Op's political fervor has gotten the better of their ability to look ahead at how the death toll could be more than a couple hundred old people if we don't nip this early.

If this spreads nationally and we just did business as usual, we'd be looking at more like a few million dead people.
Why wont the "flu shot" that Japan has come up with help take care of this and reduce the numbers? Granted maybe it only works on healthy people like Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh wait, I get it! Is this the OP's plan to fix social security?
Get your hands off my ponzi scheme!

Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 AM

36,765 posts, read 31,015,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true.

However, this is the "real deal". We just had a medical staff meeting about this. All of the precautions and measures taken are 100% appropriate. The only way this crisis turns out better than the Spanish Flu is through aggressive policies to curb the spread.

This is a real medical crisis and people should understand that it is not an overblown hoax. We just banned elective surgical cases to preserve resources; gloves, masks, and gowns are already in short supply. Discussions were made of using the anesthesia machines in the OR as ventilators and using the OR rooms as urgent (ICU rooms).

Hospitals and physician practices are not committing economic suicide for nothing. Think about that for a few minutes.
How many cases do you have at your hospital?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,541,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If our government had taken this seriously a month ago we could have mitigated the economic effects...
what more did you want the government to do??

trump closes down travel to china...and the fascist liberals scream racism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies