Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 12:43 PM

989 posts, read 456,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Please tell me all of you are not trying to make this medicine, and the severely steep learning curve associated with figuring out how to treat it, fit your politics.

Really. Seriously, tell me you all are not trying to do that.

Good grief.
Personally, I'm not trying to do that. What I am trying to do is counter the cheerleading of the other non-conclusive studies that were plastered all over right wing sites. These were not studies but anecdotal "evidence" which, you know, there's nothing wrong at all with relating those stories and letting people know. But it's crazy to call them conclusive or even begin to think they prove it. They don't. The recent VA "study" is just another of that same ilk. I think it's actually REALLY important that the information on that data be presented to the public with just the same amount of media and fervor the other stories are getting. And yet, right wing folks and Trump supporters want to bury it, immediately try to say it's wrong or it's a political smear. And I just don't get that attitude.

The VA numbers are interesting to me and I like to read ALL the studies and stories that come out on the drug. Why are people here beating up the negative story and why are people here angry that its getting attention? All the other stories did. It would be reckless not to get the info out to the public.

But it is just another compilation of data and is not a clinical trial; hence, no real proof that it works or it doesn't.

Last edited by ToyVW55; 04-22-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 01:07 PM

7,495 posts, read 7,183,071 times
What happened to the other hydroxychloroquine thread????

Old 04-22-2020, 02:22 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Well, it may be that Trump has now sidelined someone - Dr. Rick Bright - who could help us get a vaccine faster because he refused to peddle the unproved and potentially dangerous hydroxychloroquine to Americans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/u...e=articleShare

Bright "Specifically, and contrary to misguided directives, I limited the broad use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, promoted by the administration as a panacea, but which clearly lack scientific merit,” he said.

“While I am prepared to look at all options and to think ‘outside the box’ for effective treatments, I rightly resisted efforts to provide an unproven drug on demand to the American public,” Dr. Bright said, describing what ultimately happened: “I insisted that these drugs be provided only to hospitalized patients with confirmed Covid-19 while under the supervision of a physician.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:25 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,560,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Well, it may be that Trump has now sidelined someone - Dr. Rick Bright - who could help us get a vaccine faster
There has literally never been a successful vaccine that was safe to use on humans for any coronavirus, ever.

If you are pinning your hopes on a vaccine being your savior, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
There has literally never been a successful vaccine that was safe to use on humans for any coronavirus, ever.

If you are pinning your hopes on a vaccine being your savior, you are setting yourself up for failure.
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying here. Do you think no one's going to develop a vaccine or that this will be perpetually "un-vaccinable"? Or are you saying that if a vaccine were to develop, it would come too late for the poster you're responding to? Both seem kind of ominous, and I don't know if either of those are really something that will necessarily hold (well, the latter can definitely happen but that's a bit brusque of you to say), so I think there might be something else you're saying that I don't quite get.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Who said I was "pinning my hopes on a vaccine"? I was simply pointing out that Trump is sidelining qualified people who might help us get there because he refused to push hydroxychloroquine as a miracle drug. As they say, "reading is fundamental."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying here. Do you think no one's going to develop a vaccine or that this will be perpetually "un-vaccinable"? Or are you saying that if a vaccine were to develop, it would come too late for the poster you're responding to? Both seem kind of ominous, and I don't know if that's really something that's provable, so I think there must be something else you're saying that I don't quite get.
The poster to whom you are responding has proved incapable of reading critically and instead just ascribes to and projects on others whatever pops up in his/her thought bubble. The response to my post was the type of non-sequitur someone might see from someone who processes information on a low level.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm trying to figure out what you're saying here. Do you think no one's going to develop a vaccine or that this will be perpetually "un-vaccinable"? Or are you saying that if a vaccine were to develop, it would come too late for the poster you're responding to? Both seem kind of ominous, and I don't know if either of those are really something that will necessarily hold (well, the latter can definitely happen but that's a bit brusque of you to say), so I think there must be something else you're saying that I don't quite get.
I'm saying that it's unlikely that there will be a successful vaccine developed, yes. Developing a vaccine for any coronavirus is considerably different than developing vaccines for other virus types.

I mean, it could happen, but it's unlikely IMO. It's considerably more likely that this is just something we'll have to deal with until there is sufficient herd immunity developed which would take years of this coming back.

Quote:
Who said I was "pinning my hopes on a vaccine"? I as simply pointing out that Trump is sidelining qualified people who might help us get there because he refused to push hydroxychloroquine as a miracle drug. As they say, "reading is fundamental." Even for highly partisan tribalist rubes.
If this wasn't such a laughably ignorant statement, I'd cut you some slack, but by this point, you know that the use of hydroxychloroquine was pushed by doctors and researchers.....you just set yourself up against them because you have a pathological need to say "orange man bad".

I really hope, for your sake, that Trump doesn't suggest drinking water is a good idea....I'd be worried you'd die of dehydration. You simply wouldn't be able to help yourself.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If this wasn't such a laughably ignorant statement, I'd cut you some slack, but by this point, you know that the use of hydroxychloroquine was pushed by doctors and researchers.....you just set yourself up against them because you have a pathological need to say "orange man bad".

I really hope, for your sake, that Trump doesn't suggest drinking water is a good idea....I'd be worried you'd die of dehydration. You simply wouldn't be able to help yourself.
My position on hydroxychloroquine has never changed: It has never proven to have worked to combat covid, and while I hope it does and testing supports its efficacy, there is no reason for the President to be mentioning it, much less pushing everyone to take it as a potential miracle drug.

I wouldn't take advice from Trump under any circumstances, nor would I change my routine based on what he says or doesn't say. Other than to decry his self-aggrandizement, buffoonery and lack of intellect as repugnant and below the office of the President, I pay his statements little mind. Certainly, better that than like thegreat Trump bootlickers who would squeal with glee that "its raining gold!" while he peed on them.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
My position on hydroxychloroquine has never changed:
I never suggested that it has changed, your position was "orange man bad" from the start. That's one area where you have remained consistent.

Now if Trump came out tomorrow and warned against using hydroxychloroquine, I'm sure you'd immediately go out and demand your doctor prescribe you some. Again, it's just unthinking knee jerk opposition from you.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:00 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
I'm saying that it's unlikely that there will be a successful vaccine developed, yes. Developing a vaccine for any coronavirus is considerably different than developing vaccines for other virus types.

I mean, it could happen, but it's unlikely IMO. It's considerably more likely that this is just something we'll have to deal with until there is sufficient herd immunity developed which would take years of this coming back.
I've also read that it'll be difficult given the lack of successful results for previous coronavirus vaccines, but then again, there's a whole lot more resources and research being poured into this now since it's a global pandemic involving many more countries, including countries with large amounts of very wealthy people. I don't think there's been anything to come even close to provably demonstrating that a vaccine cannot be developed, even if there isn't current evidence that it can (or has).

Quote:
I never suggested that it has changed, your position was "orange man bad" from the start. That's one area where you have remained consistent.

Now if Trump came out tomorrow and warned against using hydroxychloroquine, I'm sure you'd immediately go out and demand your doctor prescribe you some. Again, it's just unthinking knee jerk opposition from you.
Wait, you're saying that he would go out and get hydroxychloroquine just because Trump said to not do so? How does that make sense? What if he's not infected or at-risk? What if he has issues with arrhythmia that makes that particularly poorly-advised? What makes you think he'd go through the trouble of potentially risking his life over something on television that isn't necessarily reliable? Isn't that an unthinking knee jerk response to TEPLimey from you?

Bobby, I really expected greater from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies