Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the issue is including the entire quote, not what is distributed by a media fascinated with "getting" him.

I went looking for the quote, because to my recollection it was more like "You know, maybe it'll just magically disappear when the temperatures rise, like the flu does."

I have spent 20 minutes and not one source strung together the exact paragraph Corrie says. Lots of "Trump said 'magically ... disappear ... we think'" omissions.

I got it from CNN..... https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/polit...ets/index.html

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," Trump said at the White House Thursday as the virus marched across Asia and Europe after US officials said the US should brace for severe disruption to everyday life.
The President also warned that things could "get worse before it gets better," but he added it could "maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
The point is that mostly everyone I know who has called the situation with the democrats a 'hoax' are the same people who claim the pandemic is blown out of proportion and they also happen to support Trump. Sure, there are people on both sides who call for remaining calm, but the word "hoax" or the idea of an over-blown response to the pandemic comes from Trump supporters based on his response to it.

I am not complaining one way or the other because I have grown up with this mindset and it was not unexpected.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You described calling out Hannity "partisan crap". It's not partisan crap, it's calling out a person's dangerous lies.

But, at least we've maintained civility.
good grief dman get a grip....I didn't specifically call out any name much less Hannity

Old 03-23-2020, 12:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
good grief dman get a grip....I didn't specifically call out any name much less Hannity

Corrie, the post I responded to quoted my response to your "partisan crap" post.

that kinda implies something specific, ya know.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Off-label use isn't uncommon. Doctors do it all the time. The actual organizations tend to be far more conservative but that doesn't in any way stop doctors from prescribing off-label. The FDA doesn't really care about off-label use either way. Which is why Trumps comments are rather stupid about how they're working to make a drug that's been immediately available since the 1940s immediately available soon. It's not some untested drug that needs to be rushed through FDA trials. It's already available. You can go down and get it from your doctor 50 years ago. Supply might be an issue though. There's probably not a large supply of malaria drugs and who knows how quickly they can be produced. That would be a question for the evil pharmaceutical companies which probably weren't consulted.

That's sort of like how the US was going to have tested 500,000 people last week because that's what Trump said. Well, no. It takes longer than that to ramp up the testing capacity.
That was pretty much my point and it should be up to the doctors as is the case. But expecting Dr. Fauci to claim this should be standard procedure based on limited testing is ridiculous. I'm sure like you say that there are other off label treatments and that is their choice. Comments like Trumps are dangerous and led to shortages although they should be temporary.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Corrie, the post I responded to quoted my response to your "partisan crap" post.

that kinda implies something specific, ya know.
yes it does....your name...repeat...you make some great posts....the partisan crap takes away from that

..there's no post on CD for just links and coronavirus information...I tried to start one this morning....some moderator moved it here
which I see the point....the partisan crap started immediately and trashed another information thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
A very small study from France has shown an astonishing 100% viral eradication rate with the combination of 2 drugs - the anti malarial chloroquine and the antibiotic Zithromax.

Too small, not truly controlled for placebo in the same hospital but in these dark times it may be a game changer in those high risk groups where being on ventilator may mean a 50% mortality.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/fr...d-19-duration/

Notice how the study started with 26, and ended with 20? Why is that? 1 dropped out due to side effects, 1 DIED, and the rest were removed because they went to the ICU.

Yeah, your "study" looks great when you remove all the failures. So remember, in this study the death rate was almost 4%.

It still needs to be looked at because it DOES reduce viral loads, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on this being as useful as folks might think. It reminds me of the spanish flu pandemic where a recent miracle drug (aspirin if I remember right) was used, and contributed to increased deaths due to liver failure from getting too much of it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
..because the world is only black and white, and there are only 2 responses to any given situation.

He went to campaign rallies and said the reaction to to the virus was designed to hurt him. You are not being honest with yourself or anyone else.
he did say that. That is the "hoax" - the way the Dems were reacting - in the first case to whatever travel he shut off from China, and calling it a racist thing to do.

It is quite true that for 3+ years, the Dems have grasped at any straw to discredit and impeach him. The reaction calling it "racist" was merely the latest attempt, or "hoax" (since he called it the Russian hoax, the caged children hoax, the impeachment hoax).

Conversely, I would absolutely agree with anyone that says "He never should have said 1/2 of what he did, and even does, about the virus - with the "anyone can get tested", etc". It's a misstatement, and wrong. And he needs to choose his words more carefully - but can't seem to help himself from going off the cue cards and saying other things. It's a weakness.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:58 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,867,177 times
NY trying it tomorrow.
I guess we'll see what happens in a week.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I got it from CNN..... https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/polit...ets/index.html

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," Trump said at the White House Thursday as the virus marched across Asia and Europe after US officials said the US should brace for severe disruption to everyday life.
The President also warned that things could "get worse before it gets better," but he added it could "maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."
Oh, I googled your phrase as typed and found the CNN article .... didn't mean to imply you made it up in any way. It's more "I know I've seen the actual video clip and would like to find it again".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies