Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM

13,515 posts, read 17,065,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Right To Try, has Democrats scrambling to regain control of your life again.
What the hell are you even talking about? I guess the Dr. in the story was an evil "dummycrat".

Trump has virtually NOTHING to do with this drug being used, other than pinning all his hope for a re-election on it.

From my perspective, as much of a horrid narcissistic con man clown as he is, and his supporters are moronic twits...I would personally give this drug to every person I could to save lives and get our way of life back,even if it meant 4 more years of your bragging and partisan hostility, as well as Trumps.

Hopefully that is clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,713,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Laura Ingraham of FOX news has suggested that hydroxychloroquine in combination with azithromycin may be even more effective in treating COVID-19.
Ah, so a talking head suggested what French Scientists proved?

Wow, she is impressive. It's as if she found the cure!

No one doubts that the real scientists will come up with stuff. No one. But caution is advised. For example, the Chinese have been using some of these for months.....with some decent result for those under 65 without certain conditions.

Well, as you know, the over-65's certainly need MORE help.......

We are all in the same boat here. Science is working on it. But the idea that you or I or a right wing talking head knows what we should do and when is crazy.

The reason these drugs aren't thrown around is that one of them can kill in even 2X the needed dose. Oh, you accidentally took 2. You are dead.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:45 AM

989 posts, read 458,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just watched a video where a reporter was giving Trump a hard time about him giving false hope to the public about drugs that might help. Trump repeatedly said that he doesn't know if it will help but he has heard good things but it was not good enough for the reporter.

If there is something out there that might help a dying person then why not try it?
Because Trump initially came out and said that the malaria drug was a cure. Hell, last Friday my bathroom contractor was in my house telling me that "there was a cure" that Trump talked about and it's over.

If you watched the press conference last week, he said this. Dr. Fauci got on 10 minutes later and shot that down. Said "maybe" they could help but they had nothing to say that it works yet.

So, yes, he gave false hope. If people were smart, they would have seen the statement for the bumble that it was. But for people like the bathroom contractor, that's all it took.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:47 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,713,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Because Trump initially came out and said that the malaria drug was a cure. Hell, last Friday my bathroom contractor was in my house telling me that "there was a cure" that Trump talked about and it's over.

If you watched the press conference last week, he said this. Dr. Fauci got on 10 minutes later and shot that down. Said "maybe" they could help but they had nothing to say that it works yet.

So, yes, he gave false hope. If people were smart, they would have seen the statement for the bumble that it was. But for people like the bathroom contractor, that's all it took.
It's as if these people get their news from Hate Radio instead of listening to Fauci.

Are attention spans really that short? This thing is worth an hour of their (know nothings) time - look up the Facebook interview from friday with Fauci. He answers every question about "cures"...perfectly.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
1. You don't know when or if a person is going to die

2. One company that makes a promising compound just suspended even emergency sales of it.

I know we enjoy (as humans) grasping at straws and it IS LIKELY that eventually some proven compounds will help - maybe even within 120 days or so.

But just consider this. We don't have face masks. Think about that - then tell us all how we are going to get the doses of these miracle compounds.
the big problem with any pharma is that overseas companies often provide either 1) the finished drugs themselves 2) the active ingredients to make the drugs.

so while at least one pharma company has a plant in West Virginia that makes this stuff..a)how much do they have on hand already b) how much raw material do they have to make more c) can they get anymore raw material from the us or outside the US.

also, I would bet the military has a stockpile of this stuff since it's SOP for people to start taking it when they go overseas to certain areas.

Can they spare it? Will they?

Many questions to ask. This is not a complicated drug to make.

BTW, no one thinks Trump is a bigger clown than I do. This is not a typical complete con job by him. He's only overselling it.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 AM

386 posts, read 170,295 times
This has not been announced publicly. I don't believe this. Wish it was true. Pray.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,802,810 times
Then we have this......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/afric...ntl/index.html

Lagos, Nigeria (CNN)Health officials in Nigeria have issued a warning over chloroquine after they said three people in the country overdosed on the drug, in the wake of President Trump's comments about using it to treat coronavirus.

A Lagos state official told CNN that three people were hospitalized in the city after taking the drug. Officials later issued a statement cautioning against using chloroquine for Covid-19 treatment.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:51 AM

29,226 posts, read 22,446,655 times
It's called anecdotal evidence.

When some cure works for one person, it never means much. There are lots of reasons why that person recovered besides just the use of the medicine.

The doctors are looking for something that will cure millions of people that is still safe enough that the medication won't cause further damage to them. Only the established medical protocols- the testing, comparisons, and all the rest in a large group of patients can provide the evidence needed that a cure is safe and reliable.

If a person wants to be a guinea pig, they can always take the risk of an unknown drug before it is available to the public. It is always a crap shoot to be one though, as the person may be given a placebo and won't ever know it, and/or the drug could have side effects no one knows of yet.

A guniea pig always risks catching the disease if the drug fails. Lots of test drugs do make patients feel better at first, but fail later on.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
that's why drugs need to be administered by Doctors. Take 2 grams of tylenol and see what kind of shape you are in.

I care about people who are being hurt through no fault of their own by this virus. If someone is stupid enough to down a half bottle of these pills, I don't want them to be hurt, but who told them to do that?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's called anecdotal evidence.

When some cure works for one person, it never means much. There are lots of reasons why that person recovered besides just the use of the medicine.

The doctors are looking for something that will cure millions of people that is still safe enough that the medication won't cause further damage to them. Only the established medical protocols- the testing, comparisons, and all the rest in a large group of patients can provide the evidence needed that a cure is safe and reliable.

If a person wants to be a guinea pig, they can always take the risk of an unknown drug before it is available to the public. It is always a crap shoot to be one though, as the person may be given a placebo and won't ever know it, and/or the drug could have side effects no one knows of yet.

A guniea pig always risks catching the disease if the drug fails. Lots of test drugs do make patients feel better at first, but fail later on.
It's not an unknown drug.

It's unknown for THIS USE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies