Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 10:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..and the opposite would have been a hysterical nelly president causing panic...and we would never have toilet paper again
..because the world is only black and white, and there are only 2 responses to any given situation.

He went to campaign rallies and said the reaction to to the virus was designed to hurt him. You are not being honest with yourself or anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 10:50 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm a Trump hater. Clear as day on this site.

It's starting to appear to me that a small handful of my fellow leftists/liberals/Democrats actually do want something like this to fail because you think its success means Trumps success.

That REALLY sucks.
IF that's true - and I mean IF, because there is no evidence it is - then it would be an extraordinarily small, scattered collection of demented, hyper-partisan anti-Trumpers who would prefer that Trump looked bad over finding an effective treatment for Covid-19. Anyone who would prefer to see someone fail if their success led to potentially millions of lives being saved is not of sound mind and I don't think their political leanings are the underlying cause of such warped thinking.

It's also important to note that any drug that proves effective in treating Covid-19 has nothing to do with Trump, and he cannot take credit for their discovery or development. If chloroquine and azithromycin turns out to be the miracle cure some people want to believe it is, will that be because of Trump? Obviously not, so why would he get any credit for it? Besides that, people want to find a cure or successful treatment more than they want Trump to fail. Like, c'mon now! Do you think thousands or even millions of deaths (including their own and people they love) is a price "Democrats" are willing to pay to bring Trump down? Everyone wants to find a cure and Dems don't care if Trump himself finds it and is re-elected as a result. I think there are very, very few people who think Trump failing is better than the virus being cured or successfully treated.

On the other hand, Trump has a history of prematurely making bold pronouncements about things for which there is little or no evidence. The Birther Conspiracy is one infamous example; his belief that childhood vaccines might cause autism is another; his assertion that Ted Cruz's father may have been involved in the assassination of JFK is another; his claims that he saw New Jersey Muslims cheering after the September 11 terrorist attacks is yet another. I could continue listing more, but we all know there are many. My point is that those criticizing Trump's promotion of chloroquine are all-too-aware of how he has used his pulpit to spread misinformation in the past without knowing or caring about the facts. That misinformation has been harmful in the past and Trump critics (who aren't all Democrats, btw) are naturally worried about the considerable harm this embrace of unverified medical claims could have on people who listen to him and believe him.

The problem is that, by getting behind a treatment that has not even had a proper Phase 3 study conducted to determine its efficacy, Trump is putting people's lives and health at risk. In most parts of the world, you don't need a prescription to get non-narcotic medications. As a result, Trump's repeated claims about chloroquine and azithromycin could lead thousands or even millions to head to the pharmacy and stock up on the stuff without knowing how to take it properly, what the contraindications, side effects, warnings, and correct dosage are. Not only that, but for those who are sick with the virus, he could be injecting unrest and mistrust into hospitals where doctors generally don't give powerful drugs unless there are peer-reviewed trials that show the drugs actually work. If the patient is in critical condition and there is no harm in trying the drugs, then that is one thing. However, what happens when patients start demanding the drug cocktail because of Trump's hunch?

The caution that some posters here have expressed in regards to chloroquine is justified, IMO, and is not because of a hatred of Trump or a desire to see him fail. There has only been one small study in France and some anecdotal reports that these drugs can be helpful. That is FAR from being a cure, but the way Trump spoke about it was hyperbolic and he massively overstated its known benefits. Trump's willingness to get up on a podium and tell the world that hydroxylchloroquine and azithromycin are a "game-changer," contradicting his own top infectious-disease expert, is bonkers.

Among other things, Trump tweeted that "HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine." At a press conference on Friday, he said about the drugs: "It may work, it may not work. I feel good about it. That’s all it is. Just a feeling.”

So now his "feelings" are determining whether or not a particular treatment is effective and advisable?

He has no evidence to make these kinds of extraordinary claims and Anthony Fauci has had to directly contradict him at the very same press conference, replied to Trump by saying: ""The answer is no, and the evidence that you're talking about ... is anecdotal evidence...the information that you're referring to specifically is anecdotal, it was not done in a controlled clinical trial. So you really can't make any definitive statement about it."

So...my point is that I don't believe any sane Democrat wants to see Trump fail in his response to the Coronavirus pandemic. I would argue that 99.99% of them want to see him succeed because that could be the difference between life and death for them and their loved ones. To claim that Democrats are criticizing Trump without reason is completely baseless and I hope my examples have shown just how dangerous his statements about chloroquine and azithromycin can be, and why he should be criticized for making these claims.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who told you it wasn't?
I'm not hearing about it being used here in the USA and it actually working. Until the number of deaths and cases starts dwindling, I'm not going to believe it. I will believe it when I see it and hear about it actually working right here in America.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
..because the world is only black and white, and there are only 2 responses to any given situation.

He went to campaign rallies and said the reaction to to the virus was designed to hurt him. You are not being honest with yourself or anyone else.
How honest can I be when I agree with him?
...the news media, democrats, and communists were using it against him..and still are....and he was right

You're not being honest when you say he said magic...and that's not what he said at all...
..did you get the word magic from the liberal media?...if so, you just proved his point

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear, from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better. Could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."

Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,409,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Democrats hope not.
They think a significantly worse outlook will increase their chances of gaining power.
I think they're toast no matter what.

I believe the latest poll shows Trump with 55% of votes in support of his handling of the Chinese virus outbreak.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
IF that's true - and I mean IF, because there is no evidence it is - then it would be an extraordinarily small, scattered collection of demented, hyper-partisan anti-Trumpers who would prefer that Trump looked bad over finding an effective treatment for Covid-19. Anyone who would prefer to see someone fail if their success led to potentially millions of lives being saved is not of sound mind and I don't think their political leanings are the underlying cause of such warped thinking.

It's also important to note that any drug that proves effective in treating Covid-19 has nothing to do with Trump, and he cannot take credit for their discovery or development. If chloroquine and azithromycin turns out to be the miracle cure some people want to believe it is, will that be because of Trump? Obviously not, so why would he get any credit for it? Besides that, people want to find a cure or successful treatment more than they want Trump to fail. Like, c'mon now! Do you think thousands or even millions of deaths (including their own and people they love) is a price "Democrats" are willing to pay to bring Trump down? Everyone wants to find a cure and Dems don't care if Trump himself finds it and is re-elected as a result. I think there are very, very few people who think Trump failing is better than the virus being cured or successfully treated.

On the other hand, Trump has a history of prematurely making bold pronouncements about things for which there is little or no evidence. The Birther Conspiracy is one infamous example; his belief that childhood vaccines might cause autism is another; his assertion that Ted Cruz's father may have been involved in the assassination of JFK is another; his claims that he saw New Jersey Muslims cheering after the September 11 terrorist attacks is yet another. I could continue listing more, but we all know there are many. My point is that those criticizing Trump's promotion of chloroquine are all-too-aware of how he has used his pulpit to spread misinformation in the past without knowing or caring about the facts. That misinformation has been harmful in the past and Trump critics (who aren't all Democrats, btw) are naturally worried about the considerable harm this embrace of unverified medical claims could have on people who listen to him and believe him.

The problem is that, by getting behind a treatment that has not even had a proper Phase 3 study conducted to determine its efficacy, Trump is putting people's lives and health at risk. In most parts of the world, you don't need a prescription to get non-narcotic medications. As a result, Trump's repeated claims about chloroquine and azithromycin could lead thousands or even millions to head to the pharmacy and stock up on the stuff without knowing how to take it properly, what the contraindications, side effects, warnings, and correct dosage are. Not only that, but for those who are sick with the virus, he could be injecting unrest and mistrust into hospitals where doctors generally don't give powerful drugs unless there are peer-reviewed trials that show the drugs actually work. If the patient is in critical condition and there is no harm in trying the drugs, then that is one thing. However, what happens when patients start demanding the drug cocktail because of Trump's hunch?

The caution that some posters here have expressed in regards to chloroquine is justified, IMO, and is not because of a hatred of Trump or a desire to see him fail. There has only been one small study in France and some anecdotal reports that these drugs can be helpful. That is FAR from being a cure, but the way Trump spoke about it was hyperbolic and he massively overstated its known benefits. Trump's willingness to get up on a podium and tell the world that hydroxylchloroquine and azithromycin are a "game-changer," contradicting his own top infectious-disease expert, is bonkers.

Among other things, Trump tweeted that "HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine." At a press conference on Friday, he said about the drugs: "It may work, it may not work. I feel good about it. That’s all it is. Just a feeling.”

So now his "feelings" are determining whether or not a particular treatment is effective and advisable?

He has no evidence to make these kinds of extraordinary claims and Anthony Fauci has had to directly contradict him at the very same press conference, replied to Trump by saying: ""The answer is no, and the evidence that you're talking about ... is anecdotal evidence...the information that you're referring to specifically is anecdotal, it was not done in a controlled clinical trial. So you really can't make any definitive statement about it."

So...my point is that I don't believe any sane Democrat wants to see Trump fail in his response to the Coronavirus pandemic. I would argue that 99.99% of them want to see him succeed because that could be the difference between life and death for them and their loved ones. To claim that Democrats are criticizing Trump without reason is completely baseless and I hope my examples have shown just how dangerous his statements about chloroquine and azithromycin can be, and why he should be criticized for making these claims.
this is where his statements could be dangerous: Let's say Fauci knows that there is some anecdotal evidence that this drugs can work. He would much rather the news get out through the CDC...to doctors on the front lines...so they can start prescribing...as opposed to a mass run on the drugs from all corners, exhausting the supply and not getting them to the people who they can help the most, and also to regular users who can't get access to them now.

That is the danger. That's not the same thing as some on the left saying "Trump lied, they don't work".

that's what I was referring to, and yes that has been going on.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
I am a Trump hater and I really really hope this is correct. It seems quite promising, at least for some people. Fauci is handling it properly from a medical/scientific standpoint. You don't promise what is not proven. My biggest reason for optimism in all of this is that I know that brilliant scientific and medical minds all over the world are working so hard to deal with this.

It is clear that although Trump adds his little whispered "it might not work" that his fans only hear miracle cure. I mean, look at all of your threads. That it might not work isn't getting through your heads. Which is why his rhetoric is so dangerous.

I hope it works, or that we find what will work and I will praise the scientists and doctors who got us there.

Not Trump, who denied this would be a problem and delayed preparation so that so many of our doctors are without proper protective equipment to deal with this. So many of my friends are doctors...many on the coasts where they are already knee deep in this. And they don't have what they need. We should have prepared. That pisses me off. Even under the best of circumstances they would be at high risk. Trump put them in third world prep conditions.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
I am a Trump hater and I really really hope this is correct. It seems quite promising, at least for some people. Fauci is handling it properly from a medical/scientific standpoint. You don't promise what is not proven. My biggest reason for optimism in all of this is that I know that brilliant scientific and medical minds all over the world are working so hard to deal with this.

It is clear that although Trump adds his little whispered "it might not work" that his fans only hear miracle cure. I mean, look at all of your threads. That it might not work isn't getting through your heads. Which is why his rhetoric is so dangerous.

I hope it works, or that we find what will work and I will praise the scientists and doctors who got us there.

Not Trump, who denied this would be a problem and delayed preparation so that so many of our doctors without protective equipment to deal with this. So many of my friends are doctors...many on the coasts where they are already knee deep in this. And they don't have what they need. We should have prepared. That pisses me off. Even under the best of circumstances they would be at high risk. Trump put them in third world prep conditions.
I really hope this does work. I'm sick of how America is shutting down. It's like being in a prison right now. And the economy has taken a hit. So much has just gone to pot is ridiculous. We need something to actually work.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Trump’s messaging from day 1 has been to try to get people to ignore the problem. Suggesting that we might be on the precipice is a miracle cure is just an extension of him telling us there is nothing to worry about for months. As usual, he is all about the sizzle and not the steak.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:04 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Trump's messaging from day 1 has been to try to get people to not panic.....and we ran of out toilet paper anyway

...thank you liberal media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies