Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 08:47 PM

1,711 posts, read 808,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's because people aren't being tested unless they're on the brink of death.
Virginia has tested 6100 people with 460 positives.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
In order to reach the casualty total from the 9/11 attack, 100 people would need to die in NYC every day for the next 30 days! After 9/11, things were pretty much back to normal within a month. Within a year, the whole thing was almost forgotten (except on 9/11 anniversaries).

Draw your own conclusions.
Uh.......so the 5+ trillion (actually more, but why worry about a few trillion) in Security Spending, Bailouts and many other things that are still hurting us today -went away in a month?

That is fantastic. Really.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Even then-9/11 still only took 1/4 as many lives as the H1N1 pandemic, something we seem to have largely forgotten about. A disease that infected upwards of 20% of the country.
Correction: H1 N1 was COMPLETELY forgotten about within one month.
As earth-shattering as the Wuhan Virus seems, it will be completely forgotten by the end of the year.

Odd to realize that......

Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,576 times
Ya know, it takes 1-5 patients to overwhelm an emergency room setting. Doctors and nurses has to go to each and every patient to treat them, take vitals, administer medication....I'm sure you get it. Not counting a patient going through cardiac arrest. Has to perform CPR, administer rescue breaths...But thankfully there's a Thumper. A device that can be placed around a patient and it performs chest compressions perfectly, freeing up personnel from getting fatigue. Have you performed CPR? Yes, you know how much it works you. Back hurting, arms go sore, sides burn from the process. Been there, done that many times. And our protocol is 2 minutes each of compressions before swapping out with someone fresh. And sometimes there's not many people. Then you get tired, not going deep enough on your compressions....I know, I know...I'm rambling on about it.

But sure in ICU wards, there's only a certain amount of personnel assigned working shifts. Most of the time, there's not enough personnel on duty to take care of the sick.

Could that be the overwhelming aspect of these hospitals? Could it be that the media is blowing this up? The media never lets a good crisis go to waste. Funny we don't hear about Russia, the democrats looking for ways to oust Trump, even though they're pointing their fingers saying he's not doing enough. What is there for him to do? The CDC and other healthcare businesses can surely take care of making N95 masks, gowns, splash shields, etc. Look at all the money the healthcare system gets from people. Where's all that money going? Where's the surplus supplies that I and pretty sure a lot of other people are aware of? People are MAKING their own cloth masks. If these masks are efficient, and they are, how come there's not enough?

Something just doesn't add up and sit with me. Yes, I'm being cautious about the situation. I work in the EMS field and aware of protocols to be taken. Our SOPs changed drastically to help keep our personnel safe. I'm sure I'll get called out on this, but oh well. We're entitled to our own opinions and facts that are out there for everyone to read...

Old 03-26-2020, 08:56 PM

Great Data Example using cell phone tracking from one small beach in Florida- could infect the USA and world....

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/sta...81598037913600

Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Correction: H1 N1 was COMPLETELY forgotten about within one month.
As earth-shattering as the Wuhan Virus seems, it will be completely forgotten by the end of the year.

Odd to realize that......
If you are correct I will give you a great big hug and send you a tip. Really.

But, I think the odds are against you due to ineptitude.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Even then-9/11 still only took 1/4 as many lives as the H1N1 pandemic, something we seem to have largely forgotten about. A disease that infected upwards of 20% of the country.
Obama developed a vaccine for H1N1 in six months. They gave it to the old people first. I remember because back then I was too young to get one of the limited supply and got the H1N1. After Obama got everyone vaccinated the whole thing came under control though it still circulates every year and kills young children, the old, and the sick.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
When Trump said, “Americans first”, he wasn’t kidding.

Here we are on the other side of the world from the source, with the most expensive healthcare there is.

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
True, but the main difference is in how each are transmitted. HIV positive comes from direct contact with certain body fluid. SARS-CoV-2 is airborne, resides in hosts that can pass it on. Leaving it behind on surfaces as well as travelling through the air. Much higher probability to catch coronavirus.

Some of the predicted number of cases and deaths is way overblown for sure. But what's hidden? We've tested so few that we may never know the truth. Deaths are probably the only true indicator of the severity.
You totally missed the point!

This is not about how its contracted...its about the "experts" overreacting for their own benefit, same with the media and local governments...ALL have something to gain at our expense.

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Obama developed a vaccine for H1N1 in six months. They gave it to the old people first. I remember because back then I was too young to get one of the limited supply and got the H1N1. After Obama got everyone vaccinated the whole thing came under control though it still circulates every year and kills young children, the old, and the sick.
Actually the vaccine wasn't delivered until November of 2009, the H1N1 virus in April, so 9 months instead of 6. And many older people already had a degree of immunity, so younger people were targeted first for the vaccine, since this bug disproportionately impacted younger people. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_vaccine Perhaps it would have been quicker if Obama had declared a national emergency as quickly as Trump did this time around. Either way, hopefully this pandemic won't hit us as badly as H1N1 did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies