Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 11:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Use the search function.

This has been asked and answered in this forum over and over and over again.

I won't be responding again - and I don't think I've EVER said that on this forum. But this is simply one of the things that has been beat into the ground here - it's been done.
It's a very simple question, Chuckity, one you could probably answer in a sentence or two--if you had any kind of explanation, that is. We continue to ask because it hasn't been answered. What did he mean?

Just admit you have no answer for his inanity and get on with it. Everyone here reading this stupid response knows that's the truth anyway.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
All Good.

Each situation differs and has to be addressed based on the resources at hand.

The problem is that we have largely failed in all of them.....or are not attempting them at all. Both.
Agreed we are doing the worst of what other countries are doing. Not testing or isolating people properly and not doing a uniform stay at home order.

That is why I am saying, just let people work. Might as well give up trying to do something that simply is not going to happen here.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is how the U.S. could have handled this if our leadership wouldn't have so busy trying to convince everyone the entire thing was a hoax during the first 2-3 months.

I agree. But that ship has sailed. What now is the question.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:19 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is how the U.S. could have handled this if our leadership wouldn't have so busy trying to convince everyone the entire thing was a hoax during the first 2-3 months.
Yeah. Like the NYC Health Commissioner.

https://twitter.com/NYCHealthCommr/s...646269954?s=20

Old 03-24-2020, 11:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
New York State (primarily the NYC metro area) has 10 times the number of infected people that the next highest state (NJ-which includes part of the NYC metro) does. CA, FL and TX, with higher populations, aren't even close. NYC is becoming this nation's Wuhan. Way past time, but we should be "locking down" the most heavily infected counties, and preventing any travel from there. NYC airports should have been shut down 2 weeks ago.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:21 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. But that ship has sailed. What now is the question.
Today, Cuomo said the first step in the economic plan in New York as it stands now is continue the stay-at-home order until we can get a test for coronavirus antibodies (said timeline TBD but he sounded optimistic) and test people en masse and allow those people to return to work. He did not elaborate on what happens next. He said the cases will reach an apex in 14 days.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:21 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Yeah. Like the NYC Health Commissioner.

https://twitter.com/NYCHealthCommr/s...646269954?s=20
So what? No one is under the delusion that because Trump was catastrophicly wrong about this other people also couldn't be wrong about this.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Why bother with the people you keep trying to reach? They already know exactly what you are saying is 100% correct. They just HATE liberals and Democrats enough that NONE OF IT MATTERS, they only care that Trump is not damaged by his obvious incompetence and carelessness so that a Democrat wins the election. That's really all it comes down to. They think no matter how much harm Trump has done, it's better than having a Democrat in the White House. It's sick but true.
I bother because there are many lurkers who read here but don't post. Disinformation that is being regularly disseminated here must be exposed and debunked, even if we know we won't convince the knuckleheads who do post here regularly.

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
Quote:
For one, South Korea did not do a lock down like India. So getting food was not a problem. They were very proactive on testing, doing 10,000 tests a day early on and quickly isolated those testing positive and those they came in contact with. Early on it was one religious group that had most of the cases so again it was easier to isolate others.

Singapore had a similar response as South Korea. Mass testing and isolating those positive and people they had contact with.

Why Singapore's coronavirus response worked – and what we can all learn

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...011438619.html

Unlike other countries, South Korea also managed to turn its outbreak around without locking down cities or banning travel. In fact, the term "social distancing" first originated with the South Korean president's campaign against the virus.
We are past that point. For some reason we refused the WHO test kits and we are still stumbling on making our own. I suspect they won't arrive till June or July, in order to do mass testing. This is why, we now need a shutdown. If were testing right away, then that may not even be necessary! Now it's too late. You can't go back in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
My primary concern is that at some point DJT may decided that four million US casualties and overrun hospitals are the price we need to pay to turn around the economy. Things will then get really ugly. The wealthy aren't generally known for their compassion, albeit with a few notable exceptions.
And this is what happens when you elect an embecile for a leader. Ditto for when we had the last republican president. They appear to be getting dumber and dumber.

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Agreed we are doing the worst of what other countries are doing. Not testing or isolating people properly and not doing a uniform stay at home order.

That is why I am saying, just let people work. Might as well give up trying to do something that simply is not going to happen here.
According to the curves we still have another week or so to arrest the worst.

The problem with your view is that we aren't there yet. And it is defeatist. There ARE many things we can still do.

But if your opinion is that the USA in incapable of stepping to the plate.....EVEN in that case, the thing to do is wait a month or two. The world will not fall apart in that time. Billions of doses of a pill can be produced in a few months....more ventilators, more experience, etc.

I see the "I give up" approach as being dangerous......for the rest of us. In most cases in History you, by your lonesome, could decide to "end it" and either slip off the life raft or run into the machine gun fire. But in this case you are effectively "abandoning your post as a sentry" causing others to suffer.

That's my opinion anyway. Grounded in science, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies