Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM

37,962 posts, read 17,940,911 times

Advertisements

“Given that my wife and I had traveled extensively during the weeks prior to COVID-19 social distancing practices, and that I am at a higher risk for serious complications from the virus due to having part of my lung removed seven months ago, I took a COVID-19 test when I arrived in D.C. last Monday. I felt that it was highly unlikely that I was positive since I have had no symptoms of the illness, nor have I had contact with anyone who has either tested positive for the virus or been sick.

at the Speed Art Museum fundraiser on March 7, unlike the other Kentucky government officials there, I had zero contact or proximity with either of the two individuals who later announced they were positive for COVID-19.

Louisville’s health director put out a statement in The Courier Journal that “most of the people at the Speed Ball were at ‘very minimal risk.’” I was not considered to be at risk since I never interacted with the two individuals even from a distance and was not recommended for testing by health officials.

I had no symptoms and no specific encounter with a COVID-19 positive person. I had, however, traveled extensively in the U.S. and was required to continue doing so to vote in the Senate. That, together with the fact that I have a compromised lung, led me to seek testing. Despite my positive test result, I remain asymptomatic for COVID-19.

For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol. The current guidelines would not have called for me to get tested nor quarantined. It was my extra precaution, out of concern for my damaged lung, that led me to get tested."

https://www.paul.senate.gov/news/sta...ator-rand-paul

There you have it. For those who care about the truth and refused to knee jerk until more info arrived. This post is for you. It wont matter to the blind.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:20 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,606,008 times
Tests for me but not for thee

Old 03-23-2020, 01:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,181,236 times
Default Here's what Denmark did for their people

Quote:
Denmark is helping those who can't work due to coronavirus

The Danish government will pay workers 75% of their salaries

https://www.euractiv.com/section/cor...5-of-salaries/

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...kers-employees
The USA is a banana republic thanks to this Oligarchy/Kleptocracy we have allowed to burrow in like parasites.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
This is really a national disgrace!

We just blew WAY past China in cases per capita......and will likely end up having 10X or more the amount of cases they did DESPITE HAVING FULL WARNING.

Sorry, there is no excuse. None. The US Response to this is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:23 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,900,310 times
Lots of people who have diminished lung capacity who do not get a test. I have a cousin who had lung cancer and had to have one lung removed. No test for her.

But she's smart and didn't need someone to force her to self-isolate. That's the big difference between her and Rand.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
How many have actually died though from that 26%? This is a very important piece of information that is being left out.

Just like a few weeks ago our local rhetoric radio station was stating that there were "X amount of confirmed cases" in the bay area. Now this same local rhetoric radio station is stating that there were "X amount of known cases" Word games yield different responses.
Not really an important part of the info since they are, as we speak, setting up field hospitals......any patients that ends up taking up a bed or a respirator is effectively killing another patient.

The real question, with no easy answer, is "how many of that 26% would have died or suffered perm. lung damage if not hospitalized".

My guess would be quite a few of them.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM

19,945 posts, read 9,504,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The easy way to test your hypothesis would be to lift all restrictions and have everyone revert to their 2019 behavior. Then see if only 18,000 people die.
I am certainly suggesting no such thing as the bold! My opinion is just that if there are not a lot of people who die (or who don't die but suffer catastrophic health effects as a result), that many, many people will be very, very angry.

And, to say it again, I am not making any predictions at this point, but since the U.S. is NOT restricting movement nearly to the degree as some other countries did or are now doing, if we end up with fewer than 100,000 deaths, I think that will say a great deal about how this crisis was handled. (And, yes, some people will applaud our political leaders in that case, but I think a great many more will be very, very angry.)

Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,137,515 times
Post Facepalm time, city commissioner in Florida suggests in a council meeting C-19 can be defeated with a hot dryer up nose

Cites One America News Network...
Literally sounds like he was paid to promote it lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maIgybB8wA

Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,810,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21910S

This is what happens when you fire CDC experts.
Poisoning the relationship with China has seriously backfired.

"Alex Azar, secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) said on Friday that his agency learned of the coronavirus in early January, based on Redfield’s conversations with “Chinese colleagues.”"

This shows that, by blaming China again and again, the Trump administration is only trying to divert attention from the fact that the US knew of the coronavirus in early January and wasted a whole lot of time after that, doing nothing but downplaying the virus.
Even I, without any background in medicine, could tell this thing would become huge, simply by watching the news from Asia every day. So, one might expect that highly paid advisers should be able to foresee such a development as well.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,205,547 times
Rands a good guy, thankfully he’s remaining asymptomatic to this due to his lung condition.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-23-2020 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies