Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 01:50 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,146,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't see what is sad about it. This has zero to do with us getting out of this thing. zero.

And, as you and I both know, something will be passing. Don't you want them to actually read the Bill? I remember complaints about that with the ACA and other legislation.

If this were money to build a manufacturing plant for vaccine or drug production.....and construction couldn't start without the money...then you'd have a point. But still it would be a weak one.

Honest question.

Do you have some savings? Some Credit? Is $1000 going to make a big difference to you today...as opposed to Friday, for example?

I'm honestly interested. I've "lost" so much money in the last month that 1K or 10K wouldn't help me in the least.
Battles are won and lost on mobilizing the people. So the dem's actions over the past 48 hours are demoralizing to millions, sure people will be able to pay their bills (barely) but it is the symbolization that is important.

To answer your question, I watch pennies and the dollars take care of themselves, so yes.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,980,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Oops, 75 more people died while you were writing this.

That's the thing about exponential growth. The threat looks negligible until its too late.

I will continue to trust epidemiologists over random forum posters.

Oops, 1 more person died while I was writing this. Now we are at +76.
Emphasizing exponential growth. Unfortunately many do not understand what it means.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:57 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,165,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So her life has less value because she's not a Senator? Every American is of less worth than Rand Paul so he should get special treatment, like a test when he has no symptoms, while thousands of Americans who do have symptoms are being sent home without a test?

You are free to worship your politicians, but most of the rest of us do not.
Hear! Hear!

Old 03-23-2020, 01:58 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,165,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
In that case, no one in charge of making major decisions for the rest of us is "good" anymore - if they ever were. But as I've said before, no one has to be "good" either, just so they can get what they want out of it in the end.
What?

Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,697,372 times
Everyone is an expert now !!!

Old 03-23-2020, 02:01 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,980,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
It's a flu bug that kills mostly elderly and those with underlying health conditions. But that's pretty much how all the flu bugs work.

It will be interesting to see just how many die from this virus and compare it to how many die from the regular flu.

Meanwhile, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and we're shut pretty much all the way down. We're on our second week of shutdown. Frist week was just mostly people off the streets, no eating in restaurants and bars and no shopping malls, theaters, etc. This week they are ratcheting it up a few notches by closing all Starbucks, most, if not all McDonalds, Peets Coffee, Phillz Coffee, etc. Next they say if anyone is out on non-essential business, they will get a ticket for a few hundred dollars.

One thing for certain, I've not changed any of my outdoor activities since the lockdown has been put into place. I'm still out and about skateboarding, going to pick up food to go at various restaurants and grocery stores. But I have not woke up in the morning with the usual scratching sore throat, or the stuffy nose, or any of those such things that I have been over the past decade or more.

It just goes to show you how many illness's are out there that we come in contact with on a daily basis in our everyday lives. It's hard to imagine actually waking up feeling completely refreshed without any throat, sinus, headache, etc. issues.
There's lots of sick and ill people around here and being away from them for going on week 2, it's great to return back to normal. I've not woke up in the mornings feeling this good in years.
There is less smog in the air without all the commuters. That is probably why you are not having sinus issues right now.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,201,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Um, did you not read his statement? He calls for more testing immediately, essentially without conditions, for everyone. That is not happening.

“I believe we need more testing immediately, even among those without symptoms. The nature of COVID-19 put me – and us all – in a Catch-22 situation. I didn’t fit the criteria for testing or quarantine. I had no symptoms and no specific encounter with a COVID-19 positive person. I had, however, traveled extensively in the U.S. and was required to continue doing so to vote in the Senate. That, together with the fact that I have a compromised lung, led me to seek testing. Despite my positive test result, I remain asymptomatic for COVID-19.

“Perhaps it is too much to ask that we simply have compassion for our fellow Americans who are sick or fearful of becoming so. Thousands of people want testing. Many, like David Newman of The Walking Dead, are sick with flu symptoms and are being denied testing. This makes no sense.
Exactly. Rand had no symptoms therefore he wouldn't of gotten a test under the current system. So the asymptomatic people can be silent spreaders which is scary, the only solution is giving everyone a test, which we currently don't have the capacity to do. What a dumpster fire being unleashed on the world, tough time to be old and sick. Regardless, soon we have to get this nation back to business or corona-virus will be the least of our problems.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,707,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Exactly. Rand had no symptoms therefore he wouldn't of gotten a test under the current system. So the asymptomatic people can be silent spreaders which is scary, the only solution is giving everyone a test, which we currently don't have the capacity to do. What a dumpster fire being unleashed on the world, tough time to be old and sick. Regardless, soon we have to get this nation back to business or corona-virus will be the least of our problems.
If the past is prelude we won't be addressing many of the other problems once this is over.

Sad, but true.

The ACA thing is the perfect example of how we don't do things. Infrastructure also. We seem incapable of doing anything except making sure that more inequality reigns.

I wish it were otherwise but the facts support it.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:09 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,138,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Not really an important part of the info since they are, as we speak, setting up field hospitals......any patients that ends up taking up a bed or a respirator is effectively killing another patient.

The real question, with no easy answer, is "how many of that 26% would have died or suffered perm. lung damage if not hospitalized".

My guess would be quite a few of them.
Maybe....maybe not. A guess is just a guess.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,562,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Man. If only the Administration knew about this in January, they could have taken steps to make sure there was plenty of testing to go around and largely avoid decimating our own economy like the South Koreans did. Knowing about this in January would have given us that opportunity. If only...
Yes, terribly unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Man. If only the prior Administration had had a team of experts and scientists specifically tasked with dealing with pandemics. Too bad that never happened. If only...
Yes, terribly unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies