Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think there should be a separate law for this - although the actual threat of it "verbally, etc." IS terror.
There is something in some states called assault with bodily fluids.
https://www.huntsvilledefenselawyer....-bodily-fluids

A terrorism charge might be a bit much. Unless someone is going around town doing this over and over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

If you look at the definition of terrorism its to cause terror to further political or religious aims. One person doing something stupid one time does not rise to that.
[/quote]

Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Reports of another small trial out of China, didn't find any efficacy for hydroxychloroquine re Covid-19, though it was another quite small, non-rigorous study, which is all we have results from so far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-care-in-study
Never discount the placebo effect. Many who might have given up in spirit will spring back to life when given a pill. People want to know or think they have some control.

The Gov. of Nevada did like Cuomo and outlawed willy-nilly use (hoarding...and it's dangerous). Right wingers are jumping all over him...even threatening him.

They will not even consider that many people take the drug on-label for other uses.....these selfish people, who aren't sick, WANT THE CHOICE of using whatever they wish.....even tho the supplies don't exist.

I looked at many of their twitter profiles - almost without exception they ID as "Christian". It's truly amazing that the religion of the Peacemaker Jew has become that of the selfish.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is something in some states called assault with bodily fluids.
https://www.huntsvilledefenselawyer....-bodily-fluids

If you look at the definition of terrorism its to cause terror to further political or religious aims. One person doing something stupid one time does not rise to that.
True...I agree.
One big problem is that the US Government has already stooped to new lows in this entire department....MANY who have been tortured (US citizens and others) or held have done absolutely nothing wrong....except maybe look to a certain religion.

It's going to be difficult to stuff that monster back in the bag.

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The Island of Palawan I live on has had just one confirmed case and it was a 23 yo Australian tourist.

The Langkawi Island, where I am right now has had only 3 cases back in January which were Chinese tourists.

My point is that other countries have done tremendously well at containing the virus even with limited resources and without a giant bail out that has to be borrowed and paid back.
no, links to back your other statements about free testing and strong travel bans, etc.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

Philippines vs. USA
Free tests available vs. Still difficult for paid testing
Rate of infection 5 per million vs. 161 per million
Very strong travel bans vs. very weak travel bans
No huge Government spending vs. Giant bailout plan
Flattening curve vs. Not flattening the curve
surely you're aware that under-testing is going to give a false low-positive picture, right? exactly why the US looked surprisingly low for a long time.

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I heard an interview with the wife who is still alive. She said they heard Trump talk about that drug. They thought it would prevent them from getting the virus. So they took a very large amount (I don't remember the numbers) and basically overdosed on it. They weren't even sick.

When Trump talks in his word salad style, people pick up bits and pieces and then come to their own stupid conclusions. Words matter. Trump needs to shut up and let the doctors do the talking.

No, he doesn't need to shut up to accomodate idiots.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
According to who?

And whatever number of people that have recovered are only because they remained at home and away from groups of people. Let’s not kid ourselves if we start going back to work, too soon it’s highly possible it might start up all over again.

It might start up all over again if we go back in six months.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:40 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,123 times
Quote:
Have you ever stepped back and considered that maybe we should tamp down that consumer economy a tad to favor human beings as opposed to some arbitrary thing called "business" or "the economy"?
What the hell!?!?

Yeah, we don't need no stinking economy. Big Gov will take care of all equally

We can all be equally miserable.

Dude, you need to stop posting for a while; good lord you post some real dumb ****.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I supported the tax cuts and regulations being eliminated but what you are saying is not accurate.

We are a consumer driving economy. People have to buy stuff for the economy to bounce right back. When people are unsure about the future they hold on to their money. The lower tax rates will help businesses to ride out the lock down a little better. But we are talking a 3% tax cut compared to perhaps a 30% drop in business or in some cases 100% drop.
And people will listen to Trump when medical experts are saying it will still be dangerous, stay home? The fact is Trump wants us to return to normalcy and Texas' It. Gov. is now saying that if it sacrifices his boomer life, he is fine with that...

Old 03-25-2020, 07:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It might start up all over again if we go back in six months.
It very well could. At that point, already in the midst of a depression because of months of economic shutdown, things could get very ugly. Let's hope the virus doesn't mutate quickly like I've read, and any "herd" immunity we've developed or are developing will nullify it somewhat before a vaccine is produced.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Have you ever stepped back and considered that maybe we should tamp down that consumer economy a tad to favor human beings as opposed to some arbitrary thing called "business" or "the economy"?
I have been saying for years that the post 2008 recovery is just based on getting people more and more in debt and buying things the often do not need. I live a very different life. I pay for everything up front including the houses I own. If the economy collapses it will not effect me much at all financially. In fact if some things get really cheap like after 2008 I can scoop up cheap houses and other assets.

That is all well and good to say tamp down but we have a economy based on credit and consumer spending. Homes, cars, cell phones, credit cards, etc. The majority of the population only has newer things because then can buy it and pay for it slowly over time. The very low interest rates we have had since 2008 have magnified this. And those at the top rake it in.

I have read that the average family pays $800 just in car payments. The average family has $16k in credit card debt. Add student loans, house payments, revolving credit at furniture stores and most are maxed out. Add in car and health insurance. It all works as long as people can make their monthly payments. These bailout checks are not really designed to help families. Yes they do help people. But they are to make sure families keep paying back their debts. If that stops the credit house of cards comes crashing down. Those at the top will not let that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies