Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM

30,181 posts, read 11,821,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
In their “closed cases” section, worldometer is showing almost 110,000 recoveries. Unfortunately, they are also showing 19,000+ deaths, which makes the case fatality rate a whopping 15%.

So, the mere statistic of over 100,000 may be true and absolutely dismal at the same time. In fact, we could say: OMFG only 100,000 recoveries!!!!

From what I understand to be a recovery the person has to be retested and no longer have the virus. Lots of people are sent home and recover and do not get retested. So that 15% means nothing.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You should really do soome research...

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

111,822 Total recovered...

Maybe you should go gather in big crowds....I approve it actually....

Or maybe drink some bleach, have the quart size glass...
I’m not worried about getting it I’m worried about the stupid people hoarding things.
And each website posts different results. And the ONLY reason it’s slowed is because people are staying home. Yet it seem that those who are worried about the economy instead of people are eager to rush back and possibly start this all over again.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Very positive results today. Cases are slowing percentage wise and mortality rate is less than half of China.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:00 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Louisiana now leads the world in terms of new cases.

Carnival?
Mardi Gras was the end of Feb. People from all over the world crammed in together for a week or more.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:01 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m not worried about getting it I’m worried about the stupid people hooding things.
And each website posts different results.
Then why are you complaining about what site people get their numbers from?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
coughing as a terrorist act.

New Jersey man who ‘coughed on supermarket worker and told her he had coronavirus’ held on terror charges

Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Mississippi governor doesn't see the need to close anything, saying ‘Mississippi's Never Going to Be China." Appears even bars and restaurants are still open in Mississippi, a few local jurisdictions such as Jackson notwithstanding.

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/new...-19-mississip/
Let 'em get sick then and die, it's their choice.

Freedom to choose.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:11 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Reports of another small trial out of China, didn't find any efficacy for hydroxychloroquine re Covid-19, though it was another quite small, non-rigorous study, which is all we have results from so far.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-care-in-study

Old 03-25-2020, 07:16 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
I think there should be a separate law for this - although the actual threat of it "verbally, etc." IS terror.

It's akin to "I have a gun and I'm on my way to your house at 1234 Main Street to kill you and yours"....

Then again, there have always been the jokes about airplanes...but they are not told to scared passengers to freak them out.

My dad always told me (he came of age in the era of hijacking) that the surest way to make sure that no one else carried a device on your plane was to carry one yourself. You see, he told me, the odds of one device being on a place are 1 in a billion, but the odds of TWO being on the same place are vastly higher. Therefore you lower the odds by bringing one!

It makes warped sense but, of course, it's a joke and not true. The actual statistics only account for those used......

In a situation like the above there are a couple crimes.....

1. The terror threat
2. The actual makeup of the spittle.

They obviously should each be treated differently. Just as certain forms of deplorable behavior should not be legal in civil society, the same goes for bodily fluid dispersal on purpose.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I supported the tax cuts and regulations being eliminated but what you are saying is not accurate.
We are a consumer driving economy. People have to buy stuff for the economy to bounce right back. When people are unsure about the future they hold on to their money. The lower tax rates will help businesses to ride out the lock down a little better. But we are talking a 3% tax cut compared to perhaps a 30% drop in business or in some cases 100% drop.
Have you ever stepped back and considered that maybe we should tamp down that consumer economy a tad to favor human beings as opposed to some arbitrary thing called "business" or "the economy"?

That pollution in China and India and Bengladesh is made for YOU. The millions of deaths and suffering the world around for excess consumer spending here (we tend to do it more than others...by a long shot) is the price of your fun.

I have been arguing for 40 years that things would change if we ever paid the "real price" for things - that being the sum total of doing things right without dumping chit in the air, river, etc.

I actually worked with some manufactures in Europe (Denmark) that did this- by 1990 it was the law there.

We should think about it - disease or no disease. Having an economy grounding in something beyond more stuff (we each use 450% more "stuff" than in 1960) might be wise.....

Are you of the mind that we should always use more stuff because of "the economy"? Or is a balanced approach needed?

As one example is it all good and fine if 50 Million people a year take advantage of dirt cheap airfares and visit a city of 50,000 in Europe and tramp all over it?

I don't see the sustainability of that. Each of them is burning many big barrels of oil just to please their senses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies