Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,095,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We did not test many and still are not outside of NY. Our 100th case was long long ago but we found it much later. With proper testing the curve would look much "better".
You can’t use that argument anymore, there are enough tested now to statistically confirm a serious outbreak and it’s not just limited to NY. Here in Pima county AZ we’ve gone from 1 case to 42 cases in three weeks. The numbers are doubling every 3-4 days.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:31 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Than get out of here. If you want to live in a place where you won't have to worry about a strong economy making a nation great, there are plenty of depressed hell holes around the world that would take you in. But trying to destroy America's economy, for a virus that has a mortality rate of perhaps 1%, is selfish and irresponsible at best, and malicious at worst.
Except the right to critique our government is as American as apple pie. It is entirely patriotic and one of the things that makes this country great, and lockstep fealty combined with silent, compliant, nodding agreement is not.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:31 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
There is death rates as high as 9% in other countries precisely because they didn’t have the hospital capacity. 1% or less death rate is IF we stay on top of this virus by being ahead of it.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
There is death rates as high as 9% in other countries precisely because they didn’t have the hospital capacity. 1% or less death rate is IF we stay on top of this virus by being ahead of it.

A link as evidence of this would be helpful. We have posters running around here telling us the death rate is 65% according to some bizarre math they came up with. So obviously, a lot of people are skeptical of some of the higher mortality rates people are randomly throwing out.

So far in the last week, I've been told the actual mortality rate is somewhere between .02% - 65%. This so does not help at all.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes. If our hospitals become overwhelmed by the Coronavirus, the death rates from all conditions and accidents will skyrocket. There’s good reason for the lockdown measures.
South Korea begs to differ, they flattened the curve in no time without draconian lockdown measures that put the poor out of work.

Some of you folks really need to have more faith in the human race’s ability to fight a virus without collapsing the economy.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
I've been telling people this for months. It's about how fast it spreads and how hard it hits. Those saying "it's just the flu" have been misinformed about both the severity of the illness and the real problem it creates. The primary issue is the resources necessary to treat it, in the quantities needed when you take the rate of transmission into consideration.

My expectations for this thing were set in early-mid February, and I haven't been wrong yet. Folks, it's going to get bad here. Very bad. Hopefully the drug treatment works well enough to prove me wrong, and some kind of handle can be kept on the thing.

One thing's for sure - I'm very glad I don't live in a big city. NYC is exploding, just as I expected it would. I can't even imagine being in that sardine can of a city right now. Wait until it digs into the homeless populations on the west coast. This is going to be truly tragic. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:35 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Those people would be recorded as dying of coronavirus, just like they are being recorded as such now. It is pneumonia that is killing so many, but if the origin was coronavirus, than the death is recorded as being caused by coronavirus. Same with heart failure or heart attack induced by coronavirus.

If the hospitals were completely overwhelmed, the national guard and possibly the military would be called into action. People would be housed and treated in sports stadiums or other large venues if necessary. We are completely prepared as a nation to deal with a pandemic, as we have successfully dealt with worse with less.

Why would someone with appendicitis be recorded as dying of coronavirus? I'm talking about people who won't be able to get treatment.

Our hospitals are already getting overwhelmed, and we're practically at day 1. I live in an area with some of the highest regarded, well funded, and prominent hospitals IN THE WORLD and we have sewing circles stitching together rudimentary masks because our doctors and nurses (much less anyone else at risk) don't have PPE. Completely prepared? Bless your heart, you're drinking the koolaid and are going to get people - including our doctors and nurses and nursing home workers and respite care center workers - killed because not having PPE for TODAY is considered "prepared" in your book.

We still have 2 weeks until all those Florida spring breakers start taking down their families across the country.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I've been telling people this for months. It's about how fast it spreads and how hard it hits. Those saying "it's just the flu" have been misinformed about both the severity of the illness and the real problem it creates. The primary issue is the resources necessary to treat it, in the quantities needed when you take the rate of transmission into consideration.

My expectations for this thing were set in early-mid February, and I haven't been wrong yet. Folks, it's going to get bad here. Very bad. Hopefully the drug treatment works well enough to prove me wrong, and some kind of handle can be kept on the thing.

One thing's for sure - I'm very glad I don't live in a big city. NYC is exploding, just as I expected it would. I can't even imagine being in that sardine can of a city right now. Wait until it digs into the homeless populations on the west coast. This is going to be truly tragic. I hope I'm wrong.
I dont think society will be able to come back from this, I truly do not.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I will admit that I'm not bothering with anything Nate Silver anymore. In 2016 and especially since, he's shown himself to be very partisan and inaccurate. Why should I give him the time of day?

I'm guessing your use of 42% reflects the popular vote ?
42% if the approval which is usually showing - the weighted average of polls of pols.

Oh, it IS very very accurate. It's still a moving target. But very accurate. In some years he'd been close to 100% in terms of being in the margin of error and even picking the winners.

The comparisons with former POTUS are valid and accurate. Whatever margin of error ists now...did then.

Not believing in it is like not believing in computer aided rocket trajectory calculations. Yet the rockets end up almost perfectly on Mars and even at the end of our Solar System. I tend to believe in evidence based stuff.

To quote Colbert - which you confirmed - facts are well known to have a liberal bias. Many facts in this world which can be proved out. That doesn't mean a coin won't land on heads 5 times in a row.

We can debate the "why's", but one cannot debate that Trump didn't go broke twice (3X if we count him being broke now). We can't say his biggest life project wasn't sold for 5 cents on the dollar. Facts.

So while it may appear I have "hate" , it is more a matter of knowledge. One has to try hard to go broke that many times when they were left 100's of millions of dollars. It's very relevant when someone like that is now making Executive Decisions involve money and freedoms and life/death in the WH.

Back to the CV, the failures have already been clear. Even if we say "water over the dam" the failures continue minute by minute and day by day. Now he wants to kill our parents and the weak among us and open up the country in 3 weeks. He still is not providing the materials or organizing.

But I have zero doubt he will take full credit for everything that others do.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I hear that Fargo, N.D. and Lincoln, Nebraska have zero cases of this virus. Contrast that with the democratic controlled hellhole of NYC.
Don't give OP any ideas for new threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies