Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Mississippi governor doesn't see the need to close anything, saying ‘Mississippi's Never Going to Be China." Appears even bars and restaurants are still open in Mississippi, a few local jurisdictions such as Jackson notwithstanding.

https://www.jacksonfreepress.com/new...-19-mississip/
Well perhaps no one from his State visits nearby Louisiana or vice versus. Further, not too many tourists or New Yorkers visit Mississippi.

Regarding Louisiana the number of deaths is almost equal to California despite fact California has double the number of diagnosed cases. Either the medical system of Louisiana is pretty bad, or there are far more cases yet to be diagnosed.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
How do you pay doctors and nurses when the economy crashes? Because that’s where we’re headed.
That is literally a non-issue for medical staff. It’s the last thing on their minds. The Hippocratic Oath and the Nightingale Pledge is something doctors and nurses take very, very seriously. I guarantee you that they would rather work without pay than be in a situation where they have to choose who gets to live and who has to die. And they will never walk off the job. I would be shocked if we even had one instance of that occurring here due to this pandemic.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
To answer the thread title - we didn't have the internet then.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
How do you pay doctors and nurses when the economy crashes? Because that’s where we’re headed.

What does having money to pay doctors and nurses if they are sick, or dying from exposure to the virus over and over and over.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
What a lot of people don’t seem to get is that if this virus hits you hard, it’s not like you go to the hospital for 3 days and you’re cured. If you don’t die within a few days, you’re going to spend WEEKS in the hospital.

You will if doctors have their way. They interviewed a guy on Fox who had been in the hospital a week and only getting worse when he asked for hydroxychloroquine - docs had never mentioned it and initially brushed him off - then it cleared him up in a day. He was talking from his hospital bed 4 days later saying he felt great, like he never had it. Yet there he still was in a hospital. Maybe we need to get people who feel fine out of the hospital and get people who are reall sick into the hospital. We don't have the resources to keep recovered patients in the hospital for a week for "followup observation".

Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Louisiana now leads the world in terms of new cases.

Carnival?

Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Family member who went to the ER.....we actually semi-diagnosed from afar once we found out specifically where the major pain was! When he said "neck and back" wife and I said "meningitis" - and, sure enough, that's the diagnosis.

All the symptoms matches EXCEPT the location of the pain and aches...and he's been in full blown respiratory (cold/flu type) for a week or more before. Confusion...barely able to walk or function.

Anyway, this one is not a case of CV....not to say it may not end up worse (meningitis is no small thing depending...).

Bad timing for sure. This illustrates why maybe only 10% +- of tests end up positive. Lots of other related conditions that mimic it...from everything to nothing.
Thank you for the update.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You will if doctors have their way. They interviewed a guy on Fox who had been in the hospital a week and only getting worse when he asked for hydroxychloroquine - docs had never mentioned it and initially brushed him off - then it cleared him up in a day. He was talking from his hospital bed 4 days later saying he felt great, like he never had it. Yet there he still was in a hospital. Maybe we need to get people who feel fine out of the hospital and get people who are reall sick into the hospital. We don't have the resources to keep recovered patients in the hospital for a week for "followup observation".
I don’t know much about chloroquine, but I’m glad he was able to get it so quickly and it had such quick results for him. I do know that doctors are heavily bound by regulations and ethical duties and availability of medicines like chloroquine. But I don’t think it’s a big conspiracy to keep people hospitalized if that’s what you’re getting at. That’s the last thing anyone wants. I do agree that patients should be discharged if they are in stable condition even if still contagious, but as I said, it’s going to be an equipment issue more than a space issue. I don’t think doctors are keeping patients on ventilators any longer than they need to be. They are basically worth their weight in gold right now and then some.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Look, if even China shut down their economy trying to combat this disease, (the CCP is the last government in the world to put humanitarian concerns over economic strength) that is a clear indicator that this thing could potentially be very devastating if we just carried on with business as usual.
It's possible China might have thought it had a mortality rate of SARS based on the fact that is a similar virus but with a 9 times higher mortality rate than COVID-19

The 14,000 cases outside of Hubei Province had a total of 121 deaths.

That is a 0.8% mortality rate compared 0.6% in 2009 with H1N1 in America.

It has killed people who otherwise healthy and should be taken seriously. Norovirus and Influenza also kill many healthy people each year and can be very serious.

I know on several news programs they have been playing COVID-19 coughing fits over and over to cause more hysteria. Maybe next time there is a salmonella outbreak they will play vomiting episodes also those can be very dramatic also.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

This is a serious illness just like H1N1 in 2009 but it seems like the government is trying to make it worse causing hysteria and mass confusion.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because we should let the free market decide...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies