Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 04:45 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times

Advertisements

The following is only my opinion:

This is going to be catastrophic............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:47 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The following is only my opinion:

Great Band..............lousy singer.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:56 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Statists can't even go visit each other in Michigan and talk about the next master they plan to vote in.

Outrageous!

Old 04-11-2020, 04:57 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2020/0...mpression=true

Wonder how that would be enforced though
The Gestapo would be most proud.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:11 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:

So when those people from Wayne County start heading up to their vacation cottages in the tiny lake towns to the north and spreading the virus there - where there are VERY few medical resources - how do you suppose that works out?

It sucks, it's damned near unenforceable, but it's logical.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
She's an MSU grad. That's all you need to know.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:30 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Thank you Ms Veep

Old 04-11-2020, 06:01 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Don't try to lump Trump into that group of losers. Trump was the one that took heat for putting a travel ban on China back in January. The rest of the political hacks and the media were spouting (paid) Chicom talking points. It's been acknowledged by all but a few total partisan leftist hacks that that decision likely saved thousands of American lives. Meanwhile, Europe allowed travel to flow unrestricted, and paid a heavy price as a result.

Don't forget to include Pelosi and AOC, who were encouraging Americans to visit Chinatown and calling Americans racist for not eating enough Chinese food. I'm sure they are on the Chicom payroll as well.
About that travel ban you and Trump & friends inaccurately boast about: His claims aren't substantiated, andywire.
Trump has repeatedly crowed about "his" travel restrictions on China, that he suggests he decided on his own over the objections of health experts, and saved “thousands” of lives --- but it is just more sham and tinsel.

Quote:
TRUMP: “We’re the ones that gave the great response, and we’re the ones that kept China out of here. ... If I didn’t do that early call on China — and nobody wanted that to happen. Everybody thought it was just unnecessary to do it.”

TRUMP: “Everybody was against it. Almost everybody, I would say, was just absolutely against it. ... I made a decision to close off to China that was weeks early. ... And I must say, doctors — nobody wanted to make that decision at the time.”

TRUMP: “I’ll tell you how prepared I was, I called for a ban.”

THE FACTS: His decision was far from solo nor was it made over opposition from health experts, as the White House coronavirus task force makes clear. His decision followed a consensus by his public health advisers that the restrictions should take place.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, who was coordinator of the task force at the time and announced the travel restrictions, said Trump made the decision in late January after accepting the “uniform recommendation of the career public health officials here at HHS.”

While the World Health Organization did advise against the overuse of travel restrictions, Azar told reporters in February that his department’s career health officials had made a “considered recommendation, which I and the president adopted” in a bid to slow spread of the virus.

Most major airlines had already suspended flights to China prior to the announcement on Jan. 31, following the lead of several major international carriers that had stopped due to the coronavirus outbreak. Delta, American and United cited a sharp drop in demand for the flights, and an earlier State Department advisory told Americans not to travel to China because of the outbreak.
https://apnews.com/0dc271ad7f7917374a5a0cfb49273783

Also, how do you explain this whole rewrite and current China finger pointing and scapegoating, that he and his campaign, and you, are fabricating when the truth and facts are staring you in the face? You know, these campaign lies? Have you forgotten those good ole days, when Trump and China were the superheroes and America was protected because Trump and China were best buds? Those olden days of February 2020?

Throughout the early weeks of coronavirus, Trump repeatedly praised China’s handling of coronavirus. Bragging about himself and often saying he and China had totally beaten down coronavirus with merciless force and efficiency, Trump kept insisting he was successfully collaborating with China.

You want to know who contradicted him and often? Joe Biden.

Quote:
On Feb. 25, Trump said that China was “working very, very hard” to contain coronavirus, adding that “they’re getting it more and more under control,” which led Trump to conclude that for the United States, coronavirus was a “problem that’s going to go away.”

Trump repeated this sentiment the next day, Feb. 26, claiming that because of collaboration with China, coronavirus is not “getting larger, it’s actually gotten smaller.”

By contrast, on Feb. 26, Biden directly rebutted this line, saying: “I would not be taking China’s word for it. I would insist that China allow our scientists in to make a hard determination of how it started, where it’s from, how far along it is.”

Biden had voiced that same sentiment the day before, stressing that he would “insist, insist, insist” that China show more transparency about what was going on with coronavirus.
This pattern persisted throughout the early weeks all through February, with Trump repeatedly praising China’s handling of it and confidently claiming China had it under wraps. And Joe Biden warning America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...n-you-thought/

This thread and your post are all about politicizing and weaponizing a national security and public health crisis with more phony propaganda pablum.

To those criticizing this governor, why are you so cavalier about the health and safety of your family, neighbors and fellow Americans? Or is this just another opportunity to mimic Trump, as he misses no chance to bash and smear a Democratic leader, in an effort to make himself look good, mask his impotence and preserve votes? Extra points because she is intellectually bright and female.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-11-2020 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 04-11-2020, 06:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Below is an excerpt from a recent lengthy in-depth article on Gov. Whitmer. It points out her strengths and weaknesses, and describes her missteps as governor.

Salient points in the article:
1. She comes from a Republican family
2. She is married to a well-known Republican who is a dentist.
3. Trump's strongest supporter in Michigan says she is well-established in Michigan

Quote:
No longer is Whitmer on the periphery of the political conversation, a low-profile governor on the outermost edges of Joe Biden’s radar. She is, according to senior Democrats I’ve spoken with, a live possibility to be the vice-presidential pick. If that happens, they say, it will owe primarily to her handling of Covid-19, a performance that caught Biden’s eye and captured his imagination.

Some Republicans, no doubt, would interpret this as raw, cynical politics. But remember: Nobody has done more to elevate Whitmer than Trump himself. Had the president not singled her out, perhaps Biden wouldn’t have noticed her charm, her humanity, her steady hand and sense of humor. Perhaps Biden wouldn’t have noticed that Whitmer, more than anybody else he’s considering for the job, is a lot like him.

“She resembles an older style of politics. She wants to get things done without tearing people apart,” says House speaker Lee Chatfield, the Republican who has battled with Whitmer the last 15 months. “She’s the only Democrat I’ve seen placate the business lobby and the environmentalists. Seriously—nobody else can do it. I’ve seen her sit down with CEOs in suits, then have beers with people from the upper peninsula.”

It’s telling that Chatfield—one of Trump’s closest allies in Michigan—has gone out of his way to publicly back the governor’s decisions in recent weeks. When I ask about the politics of the situation, he doesn’t hesitate.

“Mark my words, it would be a missed opportunity for the Democratic Party not to consider Gretchen Whitmer for the ticket,” Chatfield says. “She’s the governor of a must-win state, and she’s polling very well here right now.”
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...iden-vp-177791

Most Democrats want a centrist--Whitmer is that. Biden is a centrist as well. I predict she will be the vice-presidential nominee.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:

$1000 fine for visiting your sister. Everyone in Michigan is under house arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies