Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 09:21 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
What shutdown? I drive trucks. Still out pounding the pavement every day.
Well some of us don't. Many of us don't have the aptitude to be truck drivers. I work at a computer everyday. That is what I'm good at.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only white collar workers who work on a computer can do that. I'm a truck driver, can't do that from home....
True, but a lot of white collar people who could've always worked from home weren't allowed to simply because their bosses wanted to physically see their asses in chairs working.

That may change a bit when (or if) this pandemic is ever overcome.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only white collar workers who work on a computer can do that. I'm a truck driver, can't do that from home....
I'm a white collar worker who works from a computer. I understand that I could work from home. With a good internet connection and a good computer, I have that advantage. People who work in construction and trucking, they must go out of their homes.

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm literally scared right now. What gets me is why more people aren't scared of this. Where I live, some people are taking it as "crap happens" or "it is what it is". I can't do that. I need to keep working, I need to keep making money, I need to keep up.
It seems most of the people being heard are those who are able to work from home or are retired so they aren't really having to worry about lost income.

I am still working so far. But that could change if someone got sick or we were forced to shut down. I am at a very small lab where the few employees are pretty isolated anyway. We don't deal with the public directly. If we shut down I assume I can get unemployment but even that takes time and puts you in a financial hole.

I dont go anywhere except to pick up essentials which is pretty normal for me anyway.
My teen on the other hand is beginning to get a bit fidgety. He is missing school, his friends, the gym and basketball. Maybe he will finally clean his room.

934 posts, read 403,002 times
It would be ok, we have had this shutdown in place for a while and got used to it. Husband has been working from home. I went out maybe two times in the past several weeks or so, just to buy necessities. Italy is our neighbor, and it seems that their calamity may save our, otherwise careless, ass. We are much more vigilant than we would normally be. But then, two other crappy things just had to happen. I hope this exhausts all the bad luck for us in central Croatia.

Anyway, on Sunday morning, I was woken up by what was the worst earthquake in my life. 5.4 Mercalli scale. Not used to earthquakes, so, yes, scary **** it was. Made much damage in our capital, Zagreb and around. Especially to old buildings in the center and a number of cars parked in the streets under those buildings. I am 40 miles from the epicenter and in a very solidly built house, so no damage at all. But unpleasant, yes. I was scared ****less and lay there for 10 seconds it lasted, like a sack of potatoes.

It was a nice spring sunny weather in Croatia, everything was blooming, people working in their gardens, and then yesterday, snow. It has been snowing for two days incessantly. Yes, we had to shovel it this morning. Geez.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
The shutdown is affecting how much work is coming in for me. I'm living day to day, wondering what will happen next. I don't want to be in a situation where I can't work at all. I live by myself. Where I live, there hasn't been a "shelter in place" order, but it's grim right now. Thanks to the bars either being closed or operated under take-out only, there's no reason to go out. Alot of places are closed. It's basically dead where I live. I'm living in a state of depression and fear each day. I don't know when someone will say "there will be no work come for a while" and then I miss paychecks. I don't know if this will be a 2-week thing, or if we're going to be on lockdown for the next few months. Worst case scenario, we're on lockdown for several months. Work runs out, money runs out, things literally go down the toilet. I'm afraid of what this shutdown is doing. I can't afford to be out of work for several months. I'm literally scared right now. What gets me is why more people aren't scared of this. Where I live, some people are taking it as "crap happens" or "it is what it is". I can't do that. I need to keep working, I need to keep making money, I need to keep up.
In other countries, rent and mortgage payments are being paused. Combine that with $500/mo for every citizen or permanent resident, and it'd be much easier for the US to weather the storm.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:38 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
It would be ok, we have had this shutdown in place for a while and got used to it. Husband has been working from home. I went out maybe two times in the past several weeks or so, just to buy necessities. Italy is our neighbor, and it seems that their calamity may save our, otherwise careless, ass. We are much more vigilant than we would normally be. But then, two other crappy things just had to happen. I hope this exhausts all the bad luck for us in central Croatia.

Anyway, on Sunday morning, I was woken up by what was the worst earthquake in my life. 5.4 Mercalli scale. Not used to earthquakes, so, yes, scary **** it was. Made much damage in our capital, Zagreb and around. Especially to old buildings in the center and a number of cars parked in the streets under those buildings. I am 40 miles from the epicenter and in a very solidly built house, so no damage at all. But unpleasant, yes. I was scared ****less and lay there for 10 seconds it lasted, like a sack of potatoes.

It was a nice spring sunny weather in Croatia, everything was blooming, people working in their gardens, and then yesterday, snow. It has been snowing for two days incessantly. Yes, we had to shovel it this morning. Geez.
Wow. Thats a lot to deal with. Hoping the situation gets better for all Croatia.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:40 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
We are retired seniors with a dog, no school children in a pleasant neighborhood. We have fabricated a home gym. We walk the dog, talk to neighbors that are in their yard or walking dogs, spend a couple hours in our gym in the am, cook and watch TV. We have used Zoom to talk to family members. I worry about my widowed 86 year old dad living alone. Hes 5 hours away by car.

Financially we are OK. We moved all our stocks into cash a couple weeks ago. The signs were there if you were paying attention. When the market turns, hopefully we are still breathing and can ride it back up. It always goes back up.

I see this virus as a tidal wave sweeping over the country and I am not sure we can avoid it. So the plan is to eat well, exercise, try to stay healthy and cope with what cards we are dealt.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 AM

190 posts, read 57,117 times
Quote:
The shutdown is affecting how much work is coming in for me. I'm living day to day, wondering what will happen next. I don't want to be in a situation where I can't work at all. I live by myself. Where I live, there hasn't been a "shelter in place" order, but it's grim right now. Thanks to the bars either being closed or operated under take-out only, there's no reason to go out. Alot of places are closed. It's basically dead where I live. I'm living in a state of depression and fear each day. I don't know when someone will say "there will be no work come for a while" and then I miss paychecks. I don't know if this will be a 2-week thing, or if we're going to be on lockdown for the next few months. Worst case scenario, we're on lockdown for several months. Work runs out, money runs out, things literally go down the toilet. I'm afraid of what this shutdown is doing. I can't afford to be out of work for several months. I'm literally scared right now. What gets me is why more people aren't scared of this. Where I live, some people are taking it as "crap happens" or "it is what it is". I can't do that. I need to keep working, I need to keep making money, I need to keep up.

That's pretty much me. We where ordered to start working from home a week ago and things have been ok up until now. But the longer this thing drags out the more of a toll it is on the sense of security. I'm a programmer in the steel industry, and most of our customers have shut down. Right now we are catching up on orders but once those run out, who knows what will happen. If this goes on for months then there will inevitably be layoffs and I'm in my 50's now. I've got a little bit of a cushion but not enough to retire on.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,166,420 times
Paid cash for everything and zero debt........am suffering because a bit damp and cool and don't want to ride my motorcycle.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies