Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,505,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
I will never understand Canadians who think their country is relevant. I don’t hold it against you that your ancestors didn’t have the balls to throw Great Britain out.
Just as Canadians do not understand the American tendency towards "what have you done for me in the last five minutes"?

Why not ask the 6 embassy staffers Canadians sheltered at risk of their lives for months in Iran if they think Canada is relevant.

OR you could ask the 33,000 Americans deemed too great a threat to their own country to allow entering their airspace and running out of fuel that Canada gave shelter whether they think of Canada as irrelevant.

OR you could ask any number of hurricane or tornado victims like those in remote parishes of New Orleans after Katrina for just one example, if the first responders lifting them from rooftops using helicopters with the maple leaf on the side, then getting medical attention by Canadian military who arrived there BEFORE FEMA got out of it's own parking lot if they think Canada has no relevance.

But then again, don't bother. Being Americans, they've probably all forgotten already.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
He waited so late he should have made an appt with the morgue. You think he had no signs until the last minute? Every case is different.
When I went septic, I was doing fine 8 hours before. I've been through this... in Canada. I was on the operating table within an hour of going to the hospital.

That was 16 years ago. I didn't even have to think about turning up at the doctor, who immediately got me to the hospital, and care started. No waits, no worries about health care insurance covering me, and no concerns about not being able to have to pay.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
According to this brief report, the death is not attributed to the virus. There were undefined “extenuating circumstances.

https://abc7chicago.com/tag/child-death/

Old 03-27-2020, 03:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,870,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...use-1842520539

As a Canadian, I just can't see how or why this is even possible. It is immoral, it is unethical, it is unthinking that someone who needs critical care is denied because... of insurance!!!!

The urgent care facility refused to see him, referring him instead to another hospital. Why are there still some Americans who are not absolutely outraged at this? Why are there so many who don't see healthcare as a HUMAN right, especially critical and urgent care?

I'm sure there are some here who are perfectly OK with the system that allows this. I will never understand you and your excuses.
As an American I am surprised how stupid Canadians are to believe the stuff they read on random websites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
At Medicare Accepting Hospitals per the Emergency Treatment and Labor Act.

Most Urgent Care facilities are free standing facilities, not hospitals.

100,000+/- people in the US have tested positive for this virus as of today. Most are not hospitalized and instead told to isolate at home.

Per the OP’s link, the kid was young, healthy and socializing with friends ( despite testing positive? )
Most urgent care facilities advertise under the same name as the hospitals they are associated with.

2,949 posts, read 1,357,170 times
Quote:
Urgent care facilities are not walk-in clinics. They certainly don't advertise themselves that way; they advertise that they are for urgent needs. And do much, much advertising, under the same names as the hospitals they are associated with. The confusion, if there is one, is caused by them. Not the victims.
Who on earth are the "victims?"

OP, we're not telling you how to run your country and dictating to you what to do. So, please, stay out of our (US) business.

We've got this, but thank you for your concern.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:47 PM

14,234 posts, read 4,602,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes they can and have, they will deny ambulance and refer to another hospital- it does happen.
When I was a an LASD deputy, i probably had to respond to bazillion welfare check like this “unresponsive transient/homeless person on public street”. LAFD also came and hauled the homeless guy to the hospital if it’s life threatening. It’s a federal law.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:47 PM

2,774 posts, read 903,870 times
Quote:
https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...use-1842520539

As a Canadian, I just can't see how or why this is even possible. It is immoral, it is unethical, it is unthinking that someone who needs critical care is denied because... of insurance!!!!

The urgent care facility refused to see him, referring him instead to another hospital. Why are there still some Americans who are not absolutely outraged at this? Why are there so many who don't see healthcare as a HUMAN right, especially critical and urgent care?

I'm sure there are some here who are perfectly OK with the system that allows this. I will never understand you and your excuses.
If you Kanook system is so superior to ours, why are so many Kanooks (who can afford it) coming to the US for their healthcare needs?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I see better death:infection ratio in the US than in countries with socialized healthcare like Spain and Italy.

Besides, correctly me on this but isn’t most urgent care in the US are privately run?

Hospital ER cannot deny a patient for urgent care due to Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act. It’s a federal law.
As I stated to others, most, if not all, at least the ones I've seen in Florida, urgent care facilities carry the same name as the hospitals they are associated with. They advertise heavily to go there. I would presume that would also include triage, but it appears it is a way hospitals can get around the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act.

That, in my view, borders on the criminal.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:49 PM

484 posts, read 198,838 times
I don't take seriously anyone outside of our country, that criticizes us as they don't really know what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.