Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

However, if you try to represent yourself as a conservative, I will call you a liar to your face.

Sorry, you won't be able to do that..... social distancing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:20 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,472,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
You can read my more detailed posts about this topic in the investment forum, and how I think the coronavirus is being used as a smokescreen to ram through record-setting central bank intervention across the globe, but let's look at some numbers for a second.

The coronavirus WORLDWIDE has killed about 37,000 people so far. In 2017-2018, according to the CDC, the flu, just in the United States killed over 80,000 people. The CDC also said that in 2017 the flu WORLDWIDE killed up to 650,000 people.

So where was all of the hysteria then that we are seeing now with far fewer numbers? No talk of shut downs then, no talk of lock downs, no talk of record central bank balance sheet expansion. NOTHING! Interesting to say the least.

What I think is that we were having MAJOR liquidity issues surfacing back in the summer of 2019. The Fed decided to do consecutive rate cuts at that time which made no sense whatsoever if we were truly in the "greatest economy ever." Then in September 2019, we get the repo crisis. The Fed said they would prop the repo market up for one week to help dissolve the liquidity issues that had surfaced between the banks with $50+ billion in daily repo operations. That was only supposed to last one week but then it got extended through October and turned into $100+ billion in DAILY repo operations. After October, these repo operations were extended "indefinitely."

So my point is there were major liquidity issues brewing well before any of the virus talks started. A crisis was needed (real or manufactured) as an excuse for central banks around the world to go "all in." That doesn't happen without a "crisis." The virus hysteria gave central banks the excuse to go all in.

Turn off the media for a second and think about all of it has a collective whole.
You are comparing a total of literally dozens of flu strains to one extremely contagious new virus, for which NO ONE HAS IMMUNITY. This new corona virus appears to have an R naught factor of more than 2 possibly as high as three. It is also deadlier. The rate of infection is an exponential nightmare.

At this rate it will surpass any flu. Worldwide it has killed more than SARS, or MERS already.

What is driving the lockdowns? The hospitals are being overwhelmed. They can't handle the volume of victims. This is no normal situation.

Don't think you are safe, it will reach you eventually. Your best hope is that we can slow down the spread enough to free up a hospital bed for you (should you need it) or a credible vaccine is available.

It might be comforting to know that you are not sick at this time, and perhaps you are indignant about what has happened to your stock portfolio, but the precautions we are taking right now are actually meant to protect you (and other healthy complainers) and/or give you better odds of recovery when it reaches you. Count your blessings.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I still am not understanding how some people are thinking this is some media driven event. All I see is the media broadcasting what the government and health experts are saying.

For example, headlining Fox;

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...hing-3000-mark

Can someone point out in that article where the media is falsely putting out stuff to create hysteria? All I see is the media doing its job, which is reporting what has happened and what the government and experts are saying.
I think the nature of the media is that it PROFITS from stuff like this. When you profit from something negative or bad its kind of hard not to perpetuate it. I mean....that is just the nature of the capitalistic construct we love so much. People will seek to profit and make profit off good things and bad things. Sickness and pills are big business in America, as an example. The profit is in the treatment....not the cures. Everything in America is about "how can I turn a dime into a dollar over this"? or...."how can I keep this from taking a dime from my dollar"?

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 04-01-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-01-2020, 10:28 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the nature of the media is that it PROFITS from stuff like this. When you profit from something negative or bad its kind of hard not to perpetuate it. I mean....that is just the nature of the capitalistic construct we love so much. People will seek to profit and make profit off good things and bad things. Sickness and pills are big business in America, as an example. The profit is in the treatment....not the cures.
But a few posters are saying this entire thing is media driven, and I am asking using either my example or another, to show where it is media driven? It is the biggest story not only in the US, but the entire world right now, in about every single country, even media restricted ones.

All I see the media doing is repeating what the government and experts are putting out, I do not see the media going around making up things out of thin air about this. It seems the only alternative to it is for the media not to report anything on it? That seems the implied suggestion.

And yes, they make money, no money, no business.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

In the US all foreclosures have been stopped and you cannot be evicted from your home during this period.

Unemployment for all, gig workers, self employed, and others, unemployment PLUS $600 a week.

Most mortgage and credit card companies are working with all customers in good standing, with no reports to your credit score.

This is hardly Mad Max.
Interesting post. Obviously all of this spending is driven by the need to keep the economy from collapsing entirely, which would help Trump indirectly.

For what we are spending today on this crises we could have a helluva great national healthcare system. We need to think of health protection as a type of national defense, and put it in the budget like the pentagon's budget.

Of course, it all has to be paid for.

Correcting that big mistake in the last tax 'reform' bill under Paul Ryan would be a good start.

"We have never begun to tax the people in this country the way they should be ... I don't pay what I should. People in my class don't. People who have it should pay"
Henry Morgenthau Jr.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You are comparing a total of literally dozens of flu strains to one extremely contagious new virus, for which NO ONE HAS IMMUNITY. This new corona virus appears to have an R naught factor of more than 2 possibly as high as three. It is also deadlier. The rate of infection is an exponential nightmare.

At this rate it will surpass any flu. Worldwide it has killed more than SARS, or MERS already.

What is driving the lockdowns? The hospitals are being overwhelmed. They can't handle the volume of victims. This is no normal situation.

Don't think you are safe, it will reach you eventually. Your best hope is that we can slow down the spread enough to free up a hospital bed for you (should you need it) or a credible vaccine is available.

It might be comforting to know that you are not sick at this time, and perhaps you are indignant about what has happened to your stock portfolio, but the precautions we are taking right now are actually meant to protect you (and other healthy complainers) and/or give you better odds of recovery when it reaches you. Count your blessings.
What makes you think that every single person in this country or the world will get this virus? I don't even hear doctor's predicting that especially if you take precautions. This is just fear mongering at it's worse. It need to stop!

Old 04-01-2020, 10:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
But a few posters are saying this entire thing is media driven, and I am asking using either my example or another, to show where it is media driven? It is the biggest story not only in the US, but the entire world right now, in about every single country, even media restricted ones.

All I see the media doing is repeating what the government and experts are putting out, I do not see the media going around making up things out of thin air about this. It seems the only alternative to it is for the media not to report anything on it? That seems the implied suggestion.

And yes, they make money, no money, no business.
Yes...I definitely believe that the media is fueling this, but not the engine. Why not if it boost sagging revenues? It does not mean that its not a real story or real virus threat, however, but it is good for their bottom line.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What makes you think that every single person in this country or the world will get this virus? I don't even hear doctor's predicting that especially if you take precautions. This is just fear mongering at it's worse. It need to stop!
Everyone will get this virus, It will reach all of us. Only the recent survivors have immunity, not people like you or I.

From what I keep seeing here, that is nothing to worry about because the flu kills "up to 80,000 a year" anyway, so why are you so upset? (actually, that is an exaggeration on someone's part )

Quote:
The coronavirus WORLDWIDE has killed about 37,000 people so far. In 2017-2018, according to the CDC, the flu, just in the United States killed over 80,000 people.
Yes, it is coming to a doorknob near you. Be ready.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:55 AM

10,108 posts, read 6,452,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The shutdowns suck, but I dont know any other way to prevent millions of our people from dying. The mortality rate here is at 1-2%. So lets be optimistic and say 1%. If 80% of the population were to get this, that is roughly 3 million deaths in this country, alone. Is that acceptable? The shut downs are what is keeping this at bay. It is keeping us from getting to that 80%, until either the season is over (assuming it is seasonal, which we dont yet know) or we come up with treatments that keep people off ventilators. Because from what I am seeing, the people on ventilators rarely get off of them alive.
Wow, sobering words. Thanks for your honesty and your dedication on the front lines of this pandemic.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:04 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,540,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
On the optimistic side, most coronavirus strains hit in the winter and early spring. Hopefully this is seasonal too, and it will buy us more time for other solutions, but we just don't know anything about this virus for sure. It is the unknown that makes this virus so scary. It may one day be comparable to the flu, after we develop more tests, treatments that work, and vaccines, but we are not there yet.
I hope you are right about this being seasonal. And though I know this is not why you are an MD or why yuo shared your post on the first few pages of this ridiculous thread, but thank you for doing what yu are doing and being on the front lines of tis outbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies