Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 03:25 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Before I ask the following questions, I want you to know that as a senior, I am taking this situation very seriously and voluntarily self-quarantining (not going anywhere except for walking my dog until at least the end of April); and so I am not saying this is "much ado about nothing".

So, that being said, my first question is: If the peak day of the number of deaths is going to be about April 16th, according to the following link, with the virus projected to be virtually gone by mid-June, then why do you think that the Democrat convention being postponed until August 17?https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...rus/index.html If all goes as projected, I would think that the U.S. would start to be going back to normal by about May 15th.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

And my second question is this: Taking my state of Colorado for example, as there is estimated by the following source that the number of deaths in Colorado due to the coronavirus on the "peak day" will be 85 (according to the link above), why is this so terribly horrific if the number of deaths in 2018 was 38,451 (which is an average of 105 deaths per day)? (Other than the fact that there might be a shortage of hospital beds and/or ventilators, which I do understand is a very serious concern.)

https://cohealthviz.dphe.state.co.us...showVizHome=no

It shows deaths running through July. I have doubts about that site, I looked at my state and the numbers didn't seem right.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Before I ask the following questions, I want you to know that as a senior, I am taking this situation very seriously and voluntarily self-quarantining (not going anywhere except for walking my dog until at least the end of April); and so I am not saying this is "much ado about nothing".

So, that being said, my first question is: If the peak day of the number of deaths is going to be about April 16th, according to the following link, with the virus projected to be virtually gone by mid-June, then why do you think that the Democrat convention being postponed until August 17?https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/polit...rus/index.html If all goes as projected, I would think that the U.S. would start to be going back to normal by about May 15th.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

And my second question is this: Taking my state of Colorado for example, as there is estimated by the following source that the number of deaths in Colorado due to the coronavirus on the "peak day" will be 85 (according to the link above), why is this so terribly horrific if the number of deaths in 2018 was 38,451 (which is an average of 105 deaths per day)? (Other than the fact that there might be a shortage of hospital beds and/or ventilators, which I do understand is a very serious concern.)

https://cohealthviz.dphe.state.co.us...showVizHome=no
Most remaining primaries were pushed back.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you would expect the rate to be higher based on population density.

blacks are 30% of CHI's 2.7MM people. 810K blacks
IL is 12.7MM and 14% black. 1.8MM total blacks

so, if the highest % of cases total are in CHI, we'd expect higher than 14% patients = black. We'd expect closer to 30% and that's before considering health and lifestyle effects.
Every and any crisis of this type....even the Great Recession, Hurricanes and such - always destroys the poor at a much higher rate than others.

That's largely by design. Most of the worst pollution is location near people who have less political power to complain or do something about it. Such populations have a much higher incidence of respiratory problems due to that alone - let alone less fresh air, more indoor pollution (older run-down housing, etc.).

Add in lifestyle issues (diabetes, stress or poverty or treading water) and there is usually a higher toll.

I think to be somewhat accurate we have to toss out all the outliers - toss out NY and NJ...maybe even toss out Florida...because those are not very typical of the broader issues of inequality and such and off-the-charts in terms of traveling (which spread it, etc.).

IMHO, any real data of this sort will only be known long after the fact - but Orleans, LA gives some indication of one such parish (county).

At some point we may be able to measure the difference between groups that have health insurance and access and those who do not. Will poor folks in Boston end up better than poor in Houston?

There are so many variable here that I hardly look at charts these days...I suspect that there will not be much that falls outside the known social science.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
US citizens would NEVER agree to the things that South Korea has done.

I mean, they probably do already - but would you agree to our government tracking your every move with credit card transactions, GPS and public survelliance cameras?

I wouldn't. Nope.
To save 10's of thousands of lives during a pandemic? Sure I would.

Facial recognition has been used at US Stadiums and other places for years - I haven't seen the demand for tickets doing down.

Freedom to LIVE and die on one's own terms are larger freedoms than a temp. lockdown.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:37 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcMJ...ture=emb_title

Old 04-02-2020, 03:37 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It shows deaths running through July. I have doubts about that site, I looked at my state and the numbers didn't seem right.
If you click on the "death graph" (the second one in pink below the first one in green) by day, it almost flatlines starting July 1 and shows zero deaths starting July 16. (However, yes, this is just their projection.)

I do understand that if people think the worst is over before it actually is and start being careless, the numbers could certainly go up again!

Old 04-02-2020, 03:43 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
South Korea is preparing to send their children back to school. That’s how far ahead they are.
They did not have an ignoramus president who said it was just the flu, would be gone by April, dragged his feet in denial and incompetence, and convinced half of the nation with fake news not to take it seriously while the virus spread all over the country.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
Just heard on our local news that Trump was tested AGAIN for the virus and has another negative results. Wasted yet another test on him.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchisedog View Post
He called for a travel ban very early. Liberals seem to forget this
No he did not. He called a half-assed travel ban which only affected non-US citizens on 1/31. By then we had coronavirus in the US and almost all travel from Wuhan had been shut down. Airlines had already cancelled virtually all flights. My own state already had a case (1/26) from a returning US citizen who walked right through the checkpoints and the nursing home in Seattle was infected. Cell phone records show literally thousands of travelers, at least 900 in New York and more on the west coast, had already entered the US from Wuhan before Trump acted and spread to all the states.

Even if you give him credit, it obviously did not work. What really mattered is that Trump wasted two months golfing and denying the threat that could have been used to prepare for the inevitable. The blood of thousands is on his hands and this effort by right wingers to suggest that his travel ban did anything is a farce.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:59 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

One thing which I think most of us agree on. Some things are going to change after this. It may be only a 10% change or it may be a 50% change - that is largely up to the younger generations.

The "Giving Tree" was cut down and the stump largely dug up....so we need to decide what to plant now.
Some things have changed already. Things that are going to be deep in our psyche and not going back where they came from.

I will agree it will be a time to reflect as to where we are as a nation and where we want to go. A lot of it will depend on who is in the White House come January. And of course how the mitigation of the virus goes. My fear is we slow it down by summer only for it to flare back up next winter. The more successful we are at keeping people from catching it means more people might get it the 2nd time. That is assuming you are immune after you recover from it. I have not heard anything that says its 100% fact.

The 1918 pandemic was worse the 2nd year. I don't know how I would handle such a situation myself, let alone everyone else. Then what your shut the economy again? Or just let potentially millions die?

But if there was ever a time to split the country up with perhaps the will to do so it might be coming up very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies