Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
The kind of surgical masks you typically see are pretty much completely ineffective, if you want something that actually protects you and others you need to get the N95 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mwood-%F0%9D%...s%2C398&sr=8-1
N95 masks are Unavailabe all across the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 11:11 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
The kind of surgical masks you typically see are pretty much completely ineffective, if you want something that actually protects you and others you need to get the N95 like this:

Apparently...we should be saving those for medical professionals, for the most part. There's no way I'm going to wear one of those things...or any kind of mask unless I get sick or have to care for someone who is. Either way, I'm probably not going to buy the N95 kind because I'm young and reasonably healthy and the medical community is going to need those.

There may be some kind of shortage...I'm not sure...and even if there isn't now there very well could be one in the future

America’s top doctor appears to have softened his stance over the effectiveness of face masks when it comes to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams had initially advised against the general public wearing face masks, saying they were “not effective” in preventing people from contracting COVID-19 and amplified the risk of health-care providers being unable to get them.

“Seriously people — STOP BUYING MASKS!” Adams said via Twitter on Feb. 29.

“They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!” he added.

However, Adams told NBC’s “TODAY” show on Wednesday that he has now asked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate whether this recommendation should change.

He explained the advice to avoid wearing masks had been based on the “best available evidence at the time” but “we now know there is a significant amount of asymptomatic spread.”

Adams also underlined three key points when it comes to wearing face masks, advising people to avoid touching their face, to save the N95 masks for health-care workers who need them and to continue following social distancing guidelines.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coro...effective.html

What I've heard is that face masks are most effective for are people with the coronavirus...to keep their germs from spreading to other people. I don't know why it wouldn't be somewhat effective for everybody else though...so long as you're careful about not touching your face.

The WHO states on its website that “if you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.”

The United Nations health agency added masks were “effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.”

David Heymann, who led WHO’s infectious disease unit at the time of the SARS epidemic in 2002-2003, said at a Chatham House briefing Wednesday that the WHO was also due to reconsider its guidance on wearing face masks following new evidence from Hong Kong, according to The Guardian.

The evidence was provided to the WHO confidentially, Heymann said, but it was likely to be made publicly available in due course.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coro...effective.html

That was a few days ago. This is now:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday recommended that people wear "cloth face coverings," in places where it is hard to maintain social distancing — like grocery stores. Officials say surgical masks or respirators should be reserved for health care workers.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-news-n1175641

So...they're concerned about the medical community running out of surgical masks and the types of masks you're talking about.

I still have no intention of buying either unless I get sick or someone else does. I don't live near anyone else. Nor do I need to be near other people most of the time. i figure there will be other people who have to be closer to other people, or who have health conditions, that can use them more.

For health care workers, the N95 mask is an invaluable line of defense against the novel coronavirus. These highly protective respirators can keep doctors and nurses from getting infected by patients, but the world is quickly running out of them. While countries around the world scramble to find stockpiles of N95s and manufacture more of the much-coveted masks, it’s unclear how this shortage will resolve itself.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/4/1/...shortage-trump

Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Like I said…The cloth ones are fine if everyone’s wearing them and/or you’re staying away from people.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I'm not in medicine, so have no need to wear a mask. It only exasperates the situation and creates a visual panic seeing people walking around with masks without need. It's an Asian fashion statement we dont want here.
Amiright?
No. You are wrong.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
NYC is really one of only a few places in the US where this happens though. That's why they have it so bad right now.

In everyday life, in most areas, Americans already preferred a bit of space.
Then there are the other crowded cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and the Washington DC megalopolis

Old 04-04-2020, 12:12 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Agreed. This virus does not exist for a long time in airborne form.
Better read this - carefully:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...tance-and-stay

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-04-2020 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-04-2020, 12:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:

If I am not mistaken, these N95 masks, there are used also for woodwork. I seem to remember wearing similar masks when doing cabinet work and sanding down and cutting Pinewood Derby cars for my days in scouts. I saw people shopping with them and scratched my head for a second and then it clicked about that carpenters and handimen might use them too.

I use a bandanna. I originally wore it outlaw style but now I'm using thick hairbands and safety pins to hold it together. I started doing that last week because of my parents who are higher risk. I might be, but they are both are 60+ and have diabetes as well as other health issues that put them at a higher risk.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:31 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
try microwaving them for disinfecting.

Effectiveness of face mask types:

N95(95-99%), surgical/medical(80%),regular mask like fashion/ninja/kpop(70%),DYI face mask dish towel(60%), DYI face mask cotton fabric(50%), bandana(30%)

Old 04-04-2020, 06:23 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,831 times
It’s not that hard to quickly ramp up America’s supply of surgical masks. You just have to think outside the box. A trait America used to have in abundance but which seems to have gone dormant in recent years.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:27 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Like I said…The cloth ones are fine if everyone’s wearing them and/or you’re staying away from people.
Cloth should be fine for most people, the surgical N95 masks should be reserved for hospital personnel. We don't need to have people creating more shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies