Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:24 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
It’s not that hard to quickly ramp up America’s supply of surgical masks. You just have to think outside the box. A trait America used to have in abundance but which seems to have gone dormant in recent years.
Maybe they should have ramped up production of N95 masks and made them available everywhere that people gather in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 04:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If I am not mistaken, these N95 masks, there are used also for woodwork. I seem to remember wearing similar masks when doing cabinet work and sanding down and cutting Pinewood Derby cars for my days in scouts. I saw people shopping with them and scratched my head for a second and then it clicked about that carpenters and handimen might use them too.

I use a bandanna. I originally wore it outlaw style but now I'm using thick hairbands and safety pins to hold it together. I started doing that last week because of my parents who are higher risk. I might be, but they are both are 60+ and have diabetes as well as other health issues that put them at a higher risk.
A different grade N95 masks are used for construction so that is why maybe I knew them from woodworking.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:43 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I wear a mask in case I have it I am less likely to spread it. I would most likely survive it but some of the people I come into contact with would not.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:48 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Then there are the other crowded cities like Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and the Washington DC megalopolis
I'm in Atlanta and huge crowds of people do not typically stand shoulder to shoulder while walking downtown like happens in NYC. I didn't really see that in Philly or DC either when I was there. NYC density is a different level. I haven't been to Chicago so can't speak for them.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:51 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That concerns someone getting infected on a public transportation bus.

In an enclosed space like that I've already said I'm wearing a mask.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
If you an asymptomatic carrier, then wearing an ordinary cloth mask (such as a bandana) will diminish the spread of aerosols from your mouth. For non-carriers, ordinary masks are only going to provide a protection efficiency of 34% compared to 90% for an N95 respirator. But even that 34% is going to reduce the spread, particularly if you maintain social distancing. If each pair of proximate individuals are both wearing masks then those probabilities are going to improve.

Ref.: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...67601001500204

Say the odds of transmission with a mask is 100 - 34 = 66%, and the same is true for reception, then the net odds drop to: 66% of 66% = 44%. It's like playing poker with a pair of eights in your hand; you're not guaranteed a win, but it's better than a six and a nine.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:40 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Surgical masks work. That’s why here in Taiwan schools are open, businesses are open. Daily life is virtually unaffected. No lockdowns. We stand shoulder to shoulder everywhere throughout the day given that Taiwan is one of the most densely populated places on earth. Thousands of Taiwanese continue to return from Hubei province. 95% of us wear surgical masks in public though and we know how to wear them correctly. Because Taiwan is the #2 producer of face masks in the world providing everyone with a regular supply of face masks is no problem. N95 masks go to healthcare providers and frontline public servants who have no shortages of any PPE supplies. Deaths so far: 5. Domestic transmissions: 55. Either surgical masks work or we’re really lucky.
1. Surgical masks do not work to protect one from coronavirus

2. New England Journal issued a statement saying that wearing masks in public does absolutely nothing

3. Only N95 masks have the mesh filter size to exclude the virus, which is 125nm

Don't spread medical misinformation, as it could cost someone their life.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM

987 posts, read 780,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The article says 4.5 metres equals 15 feet. A person was infected at 15 feet.

Why is the current protocol 6 feet when it really should be 25 feet?

Old 04-04-2020, 06:35 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Surgical masks do not work to protect one from coronavirus

2. New England Journal issued a statement saying that wearing masks in public does absolutely nothing

3. Only N95 masks have the mesh filter size to exclude the virus, which is 125nm

Don't spread medical misinformation, as it could cost someone their life.

What’s irresponsible is first telling people that face masks don’t work and then reversing that policy later
and telling them that cloth masks will protect them. Homemade cloth masks are next to worthless against the highly infectious coronavirus.

Quote:
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday shifted course on its guidance for masks, saying all Americans should wear a cloth face covering when out in public to avoid spreading the coronavirus. But medical masks, including surgical masks and N95 masks, should still be reserved for health care workers. And the recommendation to wear a mask isn't mandatory.

According to the CDC's new guidelines, members of the general public should wear cloth masks outside their homes, whether or not they're sick. They can be washed and reused. Some infected people don't have symptoms and can unknowingly spread the virus to others; homemade and other cloth face coverings can help prevent that. At the same time, people wearing cloth masks should take the same precautions as before, including social distancing and hand washing.

Previously, the CDC said members of the general public didn't need to wear face masks unless they were sick or caring for someone who was ill.

Last edited by mathlete; 04-04-2020 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-07-2020, 01:30 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
I'm not seeing the change. From your own post:

"Previously, the CDC said members of the general public didn't need to wear face masks unless they were sick or caring for someone who was ill. "

The only difference is - now assume you're sick. It's to stop the spread from people with no symptoms. Again - to be very - very - very - clear - it's not to keep YOU safe - it's to keep OTHER people safe.

"Some infected people don't have symptoms and can unknowingly spread the virus to others; homemade and other cloth face coverings can help prevent that."

Should they have caught on to that sooner? Maybe. But it was already obvious to anyone that cared enough to figure it out. Which should have been everyone - but I guess they over-estimated the averages person's amount of care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies