Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Alabama refused any stay home until this Saturday. Florida allowed spring breakers.......blah blah blah blah.

Americans all over the country refused to take the virus seriously.

'
The only real avenue I see Trump having to enforce stay at home orders it to declare martial law - do people really want that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
The only real avenue I see Trump having to enforce stay at home orders it to declare martial law - do people really want that?
I do think Trump could have had a stronger influence on the red states that are holding out, if he chose to. He doesn't need martial law.

My point isn't that it is Trump's fault -- that's another thread, another discussion.

We can blame China but we have to own our own choices.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:51 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
China's economy will be far more damaged. I do expect Supply Chain Management to shift stuff from Asia to Mexico, and automate more to not need as many human hands o make mostly basic stuff.

China does deserve this.
Let the Chinese economy DIE a horrid way IMO.

This is in no way a knock on the good ordinary hard working Chinese citizen there although unfortunately they'll get hurt if this happens - it's their commie government I would want the USA to punish.

People think that purchasing cheaper Chinese goods saves them money, but in reality it doesn't.

I'd rather pay more for USA made which normally means quality stuff that's made better, lasts longer and employs USA workers!

USA!-USA!-USA!

Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
With less than 5 % of the world’s population the US consumes 35% of global resources.

The US does not have an adequate population to produce what it consumes.

So you :

A) Import Labor, and/or

B) Import Stuff

Conversely, you could reduce your consumption, thus downgrade your lifestyle. Given the US economy is substantially consumer based that’s a big ouch.
Much of what we import is stuff we are fully capable of producing. Some of it we used to produce entirely for ourselves. We've handed over control of our country for too long to wall streeters who care only about profits and out of personal greed they sell out their own country. For example, I read one article recently that said 60 percent of our apple juice comes from China. That is indefensible. We are fully capable of growing all the apples we need for ourselves. I can't even fathom why anyone would want to eat food produced in China given their lack of safety and standards. Remember the antifreeze in toothpaste anyone?

Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Constitutionally speaking, the president has no such power to order Americans not to travel. I can't fault Trump on that topic but his handling of the crisis has not been good in other ways.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I do think Trump could have had a stronger influence on the red states that are holding out, if he chose to. He doesn't need martial law.

My point isn't that it is Trump's fault -- that's another thread, another discussion.

We can blame China but we have to own our own choices.
We do have to own our own mistakes, but the failures of the Chinese government are what allowed this to become a global pandemic in the first place and they should pay for it dearly.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post

But ultimately, it's our leaders that failed, because they should have seen this potential threat from the beginning and prepared for it.
Well, there's a political party that thinks travel bans and shutting down borders is racist.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:05 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Irony of blaming the Chinese for behaving more responsibly than our government is lost on some. Imagine how pissed everyone would be at us if it originated here and we had our response even though by the time it got here China's little secret was well out in the open for months =D

Old 04-03-2020, 11:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is it time to permanently cut the cord?
Once again, China cost American workers livelihoods.

My dad always said, it is better when you can do it yourself.
Boy Scouts, taught being self sufficient.

In this disposable world... How disposable are you?
America Strong!
They lost jobs because most American employers, like American citizens, are also living paycheck to paycheck.

Its time we rethink the word "Full Time or Permenent employment".

I would like to know if Norway, Germany or Ganada are chopping off employees like these.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is it time to permanently cut the cord?
Once again, China cost American workers livelihoods.

My dad always said, it is better when you can do it yourself.
Boy Scouts, taught being self sufficient.

In this disposable world... How disposable are you?
America Strong!
The problem is we are truly an interconnected economy. China is a huge market for multi-nationals for better and worse. China is in a case of keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. Companies left America due to costs including worker costs and environmental protection (which are a needed evil because prices aren't going down despite using foreign labor and materials and we don't need burning rivers again like in the 1960's) as well as to off-set the balloon payments to avoid greenmail in the 1980's.

The bell can't be un-rung when it already has been rung...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies