Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:33 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is we are truly an interconnected economy. China is a huge market for multi-nationals for better and worse. China is in a case of keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. Companies left America due to costs including worker costs and environmental protection (which are a needed evil because prices aren't going down despite using foreign labor and materials and we don't need burning rivers again like in the 1960's) as well as to off-set the balloon payments to avoid greenmail in the 1980's.

The bell can't be un-rung when it already has been rung...
It can be adjusted. There are other nations with cheap labor, which is only asset China has.

Much of US trade from China will, no doubt, end up rerouted to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 04:30 AM

10,485 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There never should have been a chord to begin with. We were more than capable of always making everything here. Private Sector Sociopath, nutjob businessmen are to blame for this at the core If it wasn't for them there would be no lives lost, millions of jobs gone (Less crime would happen because of it) and America slowly descending into a 3rd world hell-hole. You want to blame someone for ALL of America's problems. Look no further than corporate executives.
Yep, I agree here. It's why I used to vote for the democrat party because they were supposed to be fighting for the working class man against corporations like this. Instead, we get Clinton signing NAFTA and Obama saying those jobs will never come back.

It used to be that if you were buying stuff that was imported from another country, it was very expensive because of the import taxes. For some reason that doesn't seem to be the case anymore when in reality I think it should be. Ban residential property taxes on a federal level and then use import taxes to make up for it.

And the real sad thing is that this business practice is causing a lot of people to get mad at the Chinese because in reality, they take pride in their workmanship and art, but they are restricted by the business man's demand for cheap. I have a stunning China cabinet with a gorgeous China set that I bought about 20 years ago. I paid $4000 for the cabinet and $1200 for the China set that I hardly ever use, and I still think to this day it was one of the best investments I ever made. I shudder to think what kind of workmanship I would get today with the American businessman's oversites on the quality of the products, or should I say lack there of.

Just think, China is making these glass bridges on the mountains and not have a single problem but yet here in the USA we are constantly having to navigate our roads due to potholes and poor workmanship because the companies that are paid good money choose to use poor quality materials to do the job. Now the bigger question is, are they using the poor materials because they are cheaper, or is it because they know they will break down quicker and the company will always have a job with the city in repairing pothole and other infrastructure issues?

And as for this virus, I find it interesting that it seems to do most harm to the elderly. I bet the greedy businessman would love to find a way to get rid of the elderly who are the biggest opponents to their One World Order as well as taking up so much revenue with social security. And it would also be a nifty way of booting elderly off of their homesteads that happen to be in prime real estate that the greedy businessmen want so they can tear down the old houses and put up more condos. Of course, I'm just speculating here.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Our government chose to shut down the economy and now 10 million people have lost their jobs. Whether it was the right thing or wrong thing to do, is debatable, but the cost was 10 million jobs either way. The job losses will continue as long as the government strangle hold continues.

You can find others to blame if it makes you feel better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
The individual state governors shut down their respective economies.

But if it makes you feel better, blame Trump for everything.

Blame Fauci and Birx IMO.
I said government, not Trump, but it is true that he is the chief cheer-leader in all this.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:56 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It can be adjusted. There are other nations with cheap labor, which is only asset China has.
Cheap labor is not the only issue.

There are many other issues.

One issue is infrastructure. Cheap labor without infrastructure is meaningless.

Let's take Mohammed Daud as an example. He overthrew the constitutional monarchy in Afghanistan in 1974.

The capital city, Kabul, had an airport, but the airport was not large enough to handle commercial cargo aircraft.

One of the first things Daud did was expand the airport and lengthen the runways to accommodate commercial cargo aircraft so that bulldozers and backhoes and other heavy construction equipment could be imported into the county, since there were no railroads.

See how that works?

In a lot of foreign States, the airports handle Lears, twin-engine Cesnas and old passenger turo-props, but not commercial cargo aircraft, and they have no railroads and no highways.

Cheap labor is of no value if you can't get materials in and finished products out.

I won't even get into those foreign States that are land-locked and have no ports.

Education is another issue. In a 2nd Level Economy, which is what manufacturing is, you need a work-force educated to a certain level and then you need a work-force educated at a much higher level to administrate and manage.

Then there's the issue of jurisprudence.

One reason many 3rd World States are and remain 3rd World States is because the governments are corrupt, the judicial system is corrupt and contracts are not enforced.

Are you going to invest $10 Million in a country where you have no idea how or if your contract will be enforced, since the judiciary is corrupt and there is no body of case law?

No, you're not.

Wanna know how a contract will be enforced in any State in the US?

All you have to do is read.

Wanna know how a contract will be enforced in Japan, or Germany or Poland?

All you have to do is read.

If a legal issue arises, you pretty much know exactly how it will play out. Not so in 3rd World States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Much of what we import is stuff we are fully capable of producing.
No, you're not, because you don't have the labor.

Before some idiot screams, "6 Million unemployed!" that's not how it works.

There are 800+ skill-sets.

Some workers have only one skill-set, but many workers have multiple skill-sets, since some skill-sets are related.

Not every one of those 6 Million workers has the manufacture skill-set and even if they did, there is no concomitant requirement for them to work in manufacturing unless they wanna.

Manufacturing is a class of skill-sets that has chemical manufacturing and assembly manufacturing and a half-dozen others.

Just because someone has the chemical manufacturing skill-set it does not logically follow that they also have the assembly manufacturing skill-set and vice versa and those skill-sets are not always transferable.

Someone with the sales skill-set probably also has the data-entry skill-set and those are transferable to the customer service skill-set, but those with the customer service skill-set cannot automatically transfer to the sales skill-set. See how that works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Canada didn't start H1N1 -- Mexico and USA saw the virus about the same time.

You might want to find a new source for your information.
So the CDC is wrong?

Old 04-04-2020, 12:01 PM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
A virus is gonna show up wherever it wants to. All the warning signs were there. Governments just refused to recognize them and act early on to mitigate the effects.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,460,870 times
A lot of people want to cut relations with china but none of these people has a real plan to do it.

It's like cutting the rope when you're hanging from a cliff. You need to have a plan to land on the bottom safely.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:

But will companies be willing to spend for Mexican wages. The average wage of Mexican auto factory worker is about $8 while I think Chinese workers on Apple products is $3.15 starting. I'm using USD for conversion simplicity sake. Then you have the shipping issues as well. I don't buy it.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:28 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But will companies be willing to spend for Mexican wages. The average wage of Mexican auto factory worker is about $8 while I think Chinese workers on Apple products is $3.15 starting. I'm using USD for conversion simplicity sake. Then you have the shipping issues as well. I don't buy it.
Shipping Mexico-USA is cheaper and faster than China.

The faster allows for the customer to hold less inventory which conserves cash.

Cash flow is the scary issue the customer faces.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Shipping Mexico-USA is cheaper and faster than China.

The faster allows for the customer to hold less inventory which conserves cash.

Cash flow is the scary issue the customer faces.

True, but the world has just seen how this Just in Time inventory can really be a problem when supply lines are interrupted or demand suddenly changes.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:

China has a government that controls violence crimes, drugs and other social problems well. The same cannot be said to Mexico.

The average IQ of China is 105, Mexico 88. You really don't think that makes any difference in terms of productivity? (Yes IQ is controversial and has flaws. No need to argue that.)

Not to mention infrastructures. China and Mexico are not on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies