Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:35 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What is Trump's deal with having churches open on Easter despite the current situation? He previously wanted the nation to reopen for Easter, now he wants to seek some exceptions for Easter church gatherings? Is he just stupid or just playing to the evangelical base? Why is he looking to put people in danger like this?
It’s ok. God will take care of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 07:36 PM

374 posts, read 146,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Anyone who wants to go to a place of public worship should be free to do so, provided they sign a fully binding agreement that they forfeit all medical care until the pandemic is over.
Agreed. And pastors at the head of the forfeiture line.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:42 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
No TV- internet or phone is needed to communicate with God! A simple Bible, prayer and meditation brings you closer to God than any service ! Seek Him and you will Find Him!
Exactly. I always wonder why people go to these mega churches like Joel Osteen's. He's just a fake who has made millions off these people. That's a whole other religion though. I don't even know what it is. But true believers would have no problem staying home and praying in these difficult times.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:14 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
I'm torn.

This is probably the most important season for a Christian. One could argue that Christmas is, but its just the birth of the person Christians view as our Savior, our Moshiach. Easter is the culmination of a series of events that retell the process, the Transfiguration, the Passion, the Crucifixion and Resurrection that makes him the Savior for anyone that choses to believe and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Whether you care about Christians or not, doesn't really matter. It's what they think about their religion that matters. They have a Constitutional right to gather and worship. No where does the Constitution provide for exceptions in regard to any belief system.

So, how many people wont be gathering? I don't know, but I wont. But then, I feel guilty about that too. It is what it is. I tempt fate everyday to take the crowded bus to my job, which is a building full of people at different stages of their life from birth to death. Seems silly to not go to church given that 5 days a week Im going to work.

Then again, going to church after spending all week in a hospital during an epidemic might endanger someone in the congregation. Logically, it feels irresponsible. Let's say I have the virus. I touch the hymnal and readings that are in the pew so I can follow the service. Someone attending a later service touches the book I used. That is a point of transmission.

I guess Trump is doing the right thing in the sense of upholding the Constitution, and allowing each of us to make our own choice as to - how much we need to go to Easter services versus be concerned about this crisis.

I often hear people say they love their church. I love mine. It would make me feel really bad to see people get sick, and think I might be a reason why they did. God is not in the business of saving lives. He is in the business of saving souls. The transition from life to death is not a concern to him.

I guess you could say, I gave up Easter Celebrations for Lent this year. If I survive, I'll be able to go next year. But, more importantly, if anything 'communicable' does happen there, I will know it wasn't because of me, and I will remain in a better state of grace because of that choice.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Anyone who wants to go to a place of public worship should be free to do so, provided they sign a fully binding agreement that they forfeit all medical care until the pandemic is over.
I care more about those they might infect.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
What is Trump's deal with having churches open on Easter despite the current situation? He previously wanted the nation to reopen for Easter, now he wants to seek some exceptions for Easter church gatherings? Is he just stupid or just playing to the evangelical base? Why is he looking to put people in danger like this?
Beyond the Distancing/ Gathering Guideline, the Federal Government has done nothing. That’s no accident to leave it to the states.

Governors have been equally reluctant to close Houses of Worship. The governor of at least one state, Texas, declared churches an essential service. So there’s that.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:43 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Beyond the Distancing/ Gathering Guideline, the Federal Government has done nothing. That’s no accident to leave it to the states.

Governors have been equally reluctant to close Houses of Worship. The governor of at least one state, Texas, declared churches an essential service. So there’s that.
I should say not. Unless we are all ready to live under a Federally imposed martial law from coast to coast, where Trump could unilaterally close churches - it is rightfully in the hands of local government. The President hasn't closed any schools or businesses. That was all local government too.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't hear you complaining that Lowe's is open or that essential employees include fast food workers... Why is it that the truth is that you hate religion more than you care about people being safe cause there are no other threads complaining about essential employees that are not really essential... Skip the horsecrap...
I actually did. Arizona thought hair dressers were essential employees and had them on the essential list for the first few days of the "Stay at home, Stay healthy, Stay connected" order. It made no damn sense to include them. Hardware stores however are needed.

I don't hate religion, I'm a Christian with no chains to any church because I grew up Catholic. The Catholic church is full of hypocrites especially at the top. Look at priests that were allowed to molest alter boys and how church leadership allowed them to get away with that. They broke the commandments and their convenient with God and Jesus. LDS had similar issues too. Also may Christian faiths say that homosexuality is evil when God made us the way we are.

The fact is there is no reason to go to church today. If Jewish families can do Seder over Skype/Zoom/FaceTime, why can't Christians do that? I won't see my brother and sister in law this Easter holiday due to the virus. I can choose to watch an Easter service on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So do you believe other religions should also be prevented from holding any services within their place of worship including Jews and Muslims? I posted links to two stories about how some of their places of worship are encouraging virtual or home religious services but are still open to services in person.
Yes you can prayer anywhere you want to, even at home. Jewish people as I mentioned did Sedar for Passover over video call applications.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
It’s ok. God will take care of them.
King of the Jews woke back up today. (that pissed the pharisees off I imagine)

Old 04-12-2020, 10:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
But are these states enacting and enforcing these rules equally across ALL religions or are they only being enforced upon christian religions? If these churches that wish to hold services can show that other religions are being allowed to hold religious services within their place of worship then it becomes a case of government preventing the free exercise of a particular religion. If the state enacts such restrictions universally across all religions then those churches have less of a case against the state.
I'll believe that when I see it. Remember Ramadan is later this month. I wouldn't put it pass some states to all of a sudden restrict places of holy worship after Easter comes and pass. I mean Florida and Texas are two of the more known states for that. I know a few churches at schools stopped services even for Easter by me. Smart call. One even got called to task over having the service planned...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies