Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 01:44 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I heard a doc in Mass. (Harvard research team) say possible for vaccine to be out by Jan. '21, if, and he said if again things went right.
I'll bet some countries are vaccinating their population by October.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:45 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The world should already decide now that whoever comes up with drugs/vaccines provides the "recipes" to the whole world and doesn't try to make money with it.
Greed is a far better motivator than altruism.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
More like it takes a village to protect that village from contagion, and if the "me me ME" idiots refuse to distance, the resulting spread will be hell to pay.

If I'm responsible for your safety, then you, who support the draconian lockdown, are responsible for the losses I have suffered in my financial portfolio. See how that works? Where's my $30K?

Old 04-15-2020, 01:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Greed is a far better motivator than altruism.
I don't think so. Well, for bad people you might be correct...
When I look at some of the best people in the world, they don't earn much at all. Nurses and caregivers for instance. The motivation for their incredible deeds is altruistic.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
If I'm responsible for your safety, then you, who support the draconian lockdown, are responsible for the losses I have suffered in my financial portfolio. See how that works? Where's my $30K?
It's just money. Be happy you are still alive and able to type

Old 04-15-2020, 01:56 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
What I like best about my TV -- the off switch.
That was quite random.

I like chocolate!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 01:59 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's just money. Be happy you are still alive and able to type
Heck, if she only lost 30K, her 401(k) is doing better than mine!! They can open stuff back up, but they won't be able to make the majority of the population go out and shop. /shrug The economy will still be bad.

The economists were saying from the beginning: take care of the pandemic properly, and the economy will fix itself.

If you try to force the economy first, it won't work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 02:04 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you lost $30K due to the "draconian lockdown". It's a shame we did anything at all. A completely unrestricted pandemic spreading throughout the country probably would have done wonders for the market. Probably cost you another $30K your portfolio would have generated under those conditions.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Nope. February 26, 2020:

As most of you know, the — the level that we’ve had in our country is very low, and those people are getting better, or we think that in almost all cases they’re better, or getting. We have a total of 15. We took in some from Japan — you heard about that — because they’re American citizens, and they’re in quarantine. And they’re getting better too.

But we felt we had an obligation to do that. It could have been as many as 42. And we found that we were — it was just an obligation we felt that we had. We could have left them, and that would have been very bad — very bad, I think — of American people. And they’re recovering.

Of the 15 people — the “original 15,” as I call them — 8 of them have returned to their homes, to stay in their homes until fully recovered. One is in the hospital and five have fully recovered. And one is, we think, in pretty good shape and it’s in between hospital and going home.

So we have a total of — but we have a total of 15 people, and they’re in a process of recovering, with some already having fully recovered.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ss-conference/
that's after he came back from India. It was after THAT they actually met with him to change from containment to mitigation.

BTW, I'm on record saying that the whole "we have 15 and soon it will be zero" was misguided - clearly in hindsight and probably at the time.

If you care, go back to yesterday and my *expert analysis* of the NYT article. The point is the MSM juxtaposing quotes out of time frame context. They've got the facts - report them. Why SHOULDN'T we all be on the same page to overcome the virus?

Old 04-15-2020, 02:09 PM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
It's just the endlessly prolonged leftist meltdown. They have to be angry about SOMETHING! They can't get everyone to buy into their "It takes a village to protect me from contagion" ideology and so they just demand that we listen to them howl plaintively. If they'd put half as much energy into protecting themselves as they put into demanding someone else protect them, they'd be better off.

They're the left. Enough said.
Some people just refuse to take any personal responsibility for themselves.

I'm a senior, and I have been self-quarantining (not even grocery shopping) since March 27th; and I think everyone who is in a high-risk group should voluntarily self-quarantine, also, until the threat is over -- and let the great majority of people who aren't in a high risk group get on with their lives!

Imo, adults should act like adults and not helpless morons. (I guess I'm old-fashioned that way.)

P.S. Of course, some people who aren't in a high-risk group have died, too -- just like some non-smokers die from lung cancer -- but the simple fact is that MOST people who have died from the virus have been in a high-risk group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies