Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 07:08 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,102,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How long should we stay locked down?
For two years like that recent study said?
What does that have to do with “eradicat[ing] the virus”?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
But we need widespread testing to identify who has the virus. The people who are concerned about opening up the country are concerned because it is too soon.

We need the tests... why don't you write to your Congress persons and the President to tell them to get on the ball and make those tests available.
Test's have to be approved by the FDA either under EUA or EUN.
  • EUA = Emergency Use Authorization where performance data has actually been submitted to the FDA for review.
  • EUN = Emergency Use Notification which has not been officially submitted, the assay manufacturer has simply notified the FDA of intended use.

My company has been approved for EUA and our test is launching next week. Unfortunately there are a lot of other medical device manufactures who are releasing under EUN and we are finding that those tests are not very sensitive or specific and have a low PPV (Postive Predictive Value).

Because of this the FDA has now come out with new rules on how to submit for Coronavirus serology testing.

How FDA Plans to Tackle Coronavirus Serology Tests … For Now

In the town hall Wednesday, Timothy Stenzel, director of FDA's Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health, offered further insights about validation of serology testing.

"We continue to see problematic claims and uses of serology tests, particularly those that have been listed on our [Frequently Asked Questions] page under pathway D," Stenzel said. "These devices are only for high-complexity labs; they are not to be used in moderate complexity labs or in point-of-care, near-patient settings, nor in the home."

So far, there are only four serology tests that have received EUA from the FDA .

Key takeaway: Serology tests are particularly vulnerable to specificity issues that can produce false positive results, which can lead people to believe they are immune to COVID-19 when they were in fact still susceptible. The FDA is "looking for ways to additionally highlight these concerns," Stenzel said. "In a setting of very low prevalence, even a very specific test can have a number of false positives, and the positive predictive value is relatively low," he added, noting the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in the US is currently unknown.

So writing to Congress and the President is not going to get anyone anywhere.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:11 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Nice!!! God bless America!

The social unrest is beginning sooner than I thought. People are standing up against their tyrannical, goose-stepping, hypocrite governors. I am truly proud to be an American now.
Well my figure is just 570,000 people will die in the US from a Covid 19 infection. What is your estimate?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 14,668,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Nice straw-man. I haven’t heard or read of single person who thinks that “staying indoors is supposed to eradicate the virus”, let alone “some people”......
lol - 1/2 the people in this thread thinks that if we "just stay inside long enough" everything will be fine.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
lol - 1/2 the people in this thread thinks that if we "just stay inside long enough" everything will be fine.

No, they don’t. It’s simply a way to reduce catching and/or spreading the virus.

Which is seemingly a hard concept for certain people to grasp.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
No, they don’t. It’s simply a way to reduce catching and/or spreading the virus.

lol. Yes they do.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
lol. Yes they do.

The only person saying that is you and the one other poster I responded to.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Well my figure is just 570,000 people will die in the US from a Covid 19 infection. What is your estimate?
57,000 or not even. No more than die from your garden-variety flu. The boogeyman of the year named Flu-19 is basically the same thing, only with scary-looking crowns on the outside. The deaths in the "official" CDC reports could be from pre-existing conditions, and Flu-19 was simply the last straw, like a garden-variety flu could be.

It's like answering a question "Where are you?" The answer could be "in my living room" or "in my clothes", depending on how you want to spin it. That's exactly what the CDC and its Democrat lackeys are doing.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-16-2020 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
The only person saying that is you and the one other poster I responded to.
Whatever you say chief.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:23 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Test's have to be approved by the FDA either under EUA or EUN.
  • EUA = Emergency Use Authorization where performance data has actually been submitted to the FDA for review.
  • EUN = Emergency Use Notification which has not been officially submitted, the assay manufacturer has simply notified the FDA of intended use.

My company has been approved for EUA and our test is launching next week. Unfortunately there are a lot of other medical device manufactures who are releasing under EUN and we are finding that those tests are not very sensitive or specific and have a low PPV (Postive Predictive Value).

Because of this the FDA has now come out with new rules on how to submit for Coronavirus serology testing.

How FDA Plans to Tackle Coronavirus Serology Tests … For Now

In the town hall Wednesday, Timothy Stenzel, director of FDA's Office of In Vitro Diagnostics and Radiological Health, offered further insights about validation of serology testing.

"We continue to see problematic claims and uses of serology tests, particularly those that have been listed on our [Frequently Asked Questions] page under pathway D," Stenzel said. "These devices are only for high-complexity labs; they are not to be used in moderate complexity labs or in point-of-care, near-patient settings, nor in the home."

So far, there are only four serology tests that have received EUA from the FDA .

Key takeaway: Serology tests are particularly vulnerable to specificity issues that can produce false positive results, which can lead people to believe they are immune to COVID-19 when they were in fact still susceptible. The FDA is "looking for ways to additionally highlight these concerns," Stenzel said. "In a setting of very low prevalence, even a very specific test can have a number of false positives, and the positive predictive value is relatively low," he added, noting the prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in the US is currently unknown.

So writing to Congress and the President is not going to get anyone anywhere.
Thank you for the information. It is good to know these are being worked on by some companies. And yes, I understand that the tests have to be proven to be accurate.

My point about writing to Congress and the president is to get them to find and incentivize more companies to work on developing the various tests we need. The president keeps saying at the daily pressers that we have the best tests of anyone in the world; that we have done more tests than anyone else. He does not acknowledge the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies