Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 AM

130,566 posts, read 12,152,083 times

Advertisements

The op idea is silly, to me. Last time I was at Wm, I picked up some food, but I also got a new nightie. Because of being stuck at home all day & all night, I am spending a lot more time in comfy clothes like nighties. If the store is open, why not look at other stuff, people need books & video games too.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:41 AM

8,259 posts, read 3,510,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I just want to know what dim-witted moron declared clothing as "nonessential?"
This is KY! A lot of people here agree with this. And I have been following the news in other states and commentators are saying clothing isn't essential. Very few people are arguing against this assertion. I feel like I am in the twilight zone or something reading this stuff. I've had people angrily ranting about how people shouldn't be able to endanger other people's lives to buy clothes and books and stuff.

I really think those in power want to start riots so that they have an excuse to clamp down even harder.

There are nursing homes where the residents are dying from this virus and the complications. The nursing homes were shut off to visitors weeks ago, but the virus is still getting in!

Shutting everything down and destroying the economy is not going to save lives. Most people that get this will not die. People will be dying from lack of food if the economy tanks. You need money to buy food.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, this is probably the reason, they dont want people coming in to shop for 'non essentials' right now, the whole point in keeping essential places open, was so people could still buy groceries, NOT to buy electronics, toys, clothing, decorations, etc.
Even the OP doesn't think clothing is essential.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I see both sides. If I'm in Target anyway, and I want a can of paint, or a t-shirt, so what? (And clothing is essential, last time I checked).

I understand it from the perspective of the essential employees forced to be in contact with the public, putting themselves and their families at risk.

At a Home Depot, they said they understand staying open so someone can fix their commode, but not so they can shop for new throw pillows or patio chairs.

Everytime we go out, and every purchase we make, is keeping them there longer and requiring more of them. That goes for online purchases too, for those who seem to think they get packaged and arrive by magic.

What I see as essential as a consumer locked in my house and what I would see as essential were I the checker ringing up all sorts of crap instead of being safe at home are two entirely different things.

Random aside: The CDC suggests tools to have safe sex with oneself, but an Amazon employee was recently filmed ranting that dildos are NOT essential. So, no one can agree on anything.
Not in KY.

I wonder what other states have deemed clothing to be nonessential.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,588,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Somebody explain to me what the upside is to this idea of banning the sale of "non-essential items" -- a categorization that will certainly be arbitrarily based entirely on opinion.
Because I said so and all you slaves must obey.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:04 AM

24,020 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
My local Kohl's is closed. Local businesses selling only clothes, cookware, sporting equipment, art supplies, etc. are closed. There's no telling how much profit $$$ Target, Walmart, etc. are making at the expense of losses suffered by the businesses shut down.

Unless it's illegal for those forced businesses to do it, they all should create space to start selling food.

Seems strange to close down a mall and then let people buy clothes, shoes, cosmetic etc., at Walmart and Target.

But then, bored people could just buy it from Amazon if they cannot shop at Walmart.

The governments are picking winners and losers again..

Old 04-09-2020, 09:11 AM

1,768 posts, read 569,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Somebody explain to me what the upside is to this idea of banning the sale of "non-essential items" -- a categorization that will certainly be arbitrarily based entirely on opinion.
Fewer people will come to the store if the selection of items for sale is reduced. People who are bored won’t come just to browse. People who do come will spend less time in the store if some aisles are closed. Fewer people spending the minimum amount of time in the store reduces exposure of the public to each other and to the employees.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Fewer people will come to the store if the selection of items for sale is reduced. People who are bored won’t come just to browse. People who do come will spend less time in the store if some aisles are closed. Fewer people spending the minimum amount of time in the store reduces exposure of the public to each other and to the employees.
If people can get the so-called "nonessentials" then maybe they won't be so bored and will be able to stay home more.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,659,513 times
Biggest downside to all this is people trying to micromanage everybody else, combined with those trying to find every loophole and endrun they can around the shutdown.

Lot easier if everybody just accepts this is most likely 3 month shutdown and make best of it.

The biggest disconnect from reality I have seen is telling all old/sick people they need to lock themselves in a closet for least a month. Oddly since I havent seen any manna from heaven falling from skies, this assumes they have some virus immune fairy god mother bringing them takeout. Not everybody has an external support system. Meaning if you are alone and sick, you still have to get your own food. Just way it is. Sorry if its inconvenient for others.

I have seen similar attitudes from right wingers saying adult children should be completely responsible for their elderly parents. Duh, lot people that didnt have children. Are you righty tighties just going to assign us some adult children to look after us free of charge?

Old 04-09-2020, 09:37 AM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
The debate about government control aside, some of you are really grasping at straws here.

Of course clothing is essential. But you will not convince me that after a month of shutdown, suddenly people have NO clothing to wear?! Or that someone has lost so much weight that they can't hide their butt crack, as one poster ridiculously suggested?! (Ever hear of a belt?) Yes, children grow, but I don't believe anyone's child has suddenly grown so much that they literally cannot squeeze into something already in the house.

Such complaints sound desperate and silly.

Shall we engrave "But new clothes were ESSENTIAL" on your tombstone when you die of Covid? I mean really, what is more essential than staying alive??

If Walmart, Target, etc are selling only genuine essentials, they don't need to have as many employees coming in risking their health and life! It's bad enough doctors, nurses, grocery workers, etc have to take that risk, but no one should risk their life to accommodate selfish jerks' desire to buy a new shirt or lipstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies