Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 07:19 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Your bar must be very low if you term someone a "dictator" on the basis of common things you can or can't buy. Most people when they think of a "dictator" don't think in terms of whether you can buy paint.

For the short-term (because there is no permanent ban on tomato seeds), a governor can't micromanage the sale of any individual item. And I'll bet that if you posted the original source, instead f a mocking opinion piece, I suspect it would have provided some of the rationales.
Your bar for what a governor should do must be very low if you think a governor should be micromanaging what legal goods a customer can purchase at a legitimate business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 10:56 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Your bar for what a governor should do must be very low if you think a governor should be micromanaging what legal goods a customer can purchase at a legitimate business.
The idiots in this country need to be guided and told what to do. Go Gretchen!

Old 05-09-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Did you forget your civics lesson in the Constitution? Who the hell is she to tell me what within a store is "essential" and what is "non-essential"? Is she paying my salary?

Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
The Amendment was referring to bearing arms for being in a militia.
The supreme court disagrees with you.

----------

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, unconnected with service in a militia, for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...mbia_v._Heller

Old 05-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Idiots being guided and told what to do by an idiot (Gretchen) is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:10 AM

994 posts, read 502,049 times
Quote:
The supreme court disagrees with you.
Read the Constitution.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Read the Constitution.
Actually, it's not relevant. What the Supreme Court rules on the constitution is the law of the land and they can make it say anything they want to.

I disagree with lots of SC decisions, but it doesn't matter.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Your bar must be very low if you term someone a "dictator" on the basis of common things you can or can't buy. Most people when they think of a "dictator" don't think in terms of whether you can buy paint.

For the short-term (because there is no permanent ban on tomato seeds), a governor can't micromanage the sale of any individual item. And I'll bet that if you posted the original source, instead f a mocking opinion piece, I suspect it would have provided some of the rationales.
To anyone not allowed to work and running out of money, yes she is a dictator. While you argue semantics, they get deeper in debt or die.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
To anyone not allowed to work and running out of money, yes she is a dictator. While you argue semantics, they get deeper in debt or die.
These people have an agenda to push and an axe to grind. I think some of these people have long felt that we are "wasteful" and want to change our lifestyle. People would not bite because of the threat of "climate change." This is their chance. Another post which I excerpted says it all:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The act of entering the store for the purposes of buying non-essential items (like paint or carpet) turns the entire store into a vector for disease. That means people who actually do need something are put at additional unnecessary risk of infection due to the selfishness of the idiots. Buying paint, especially custom-mixed paint is the apex of stupidity. You’re forcing employees who should be safe at home to cater to your selfish needs at their expense and risk ....The effect of allowing the depot to run wild ....
My response was:
Quote:
Excuse me. You are describing the conditions that prisoners live under because they are being punished for committing a crime. These days we treat hardened criminals better.

So people should essentially be on meager rations and have no enjoyment until Gretchen Whitmer is good and ready?
This is the chance that these change advocates have been waiting for. It is not new. It existed in the early 1970s, with the Club of Rome report, affiliated with MIT (link, excerpt below):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club of Rome book extract
The message of this book still holds today: The earth’s interlocking resources – the global system of nature in which we all live – probably cannot support present rates of economic and population growth much beyond the year 2100, if that long, even with advanced technology. In the summer of 1970, an international team of researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology began a study of the implications of continued worldwide growth. They examined the five basic factors that determine and, in their interactions, ultimately limit growth on this planet-population increase, agricultural production, nonrenewable resource depletion, industrial output, and pollution generation.
And an excerpt from Page 21 of the book:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page 21, Limits of Growth Report
2. It is possible to alter these growth trends and to establish a condition of ecological and economic stability that is sustainable far into the future. The state of global equilibrium could be designed so that the basic material needs of each person on earth are satisfied and each person has an equal opportunity to realize his individual human potential.
So I draw a direct line from the Club of Rome mentality, borne of guilt from the post-WW II growth and affluence, to the steps taken recently, nominally against the pandemic.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:13 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Did you forget your civics lesson in the Constitution? Who the hell is she to tell me what within a store is "essential" and what is "non-essential"? Is she paying my salary?
So many people now don’t want to be told what to do. Too bad. That’s the way life is. I saw on TV a couple ~age 60 in a black SUV who were protesting the other day. They had written in white on the side of their vehicle, “Live free or die.” I had to laugh at them. Yeah, there they are out with the other hard-heads and they will probably catch the virus and die. Stupid protesters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies