Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,782,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
At least FOX has people on with dissenting viewpoints.
Not hard if they are paid to make it up as they go along...the crazier the better. You must like goofball fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 07:54 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Wow. Interesting. I’m a white guy, but I’d seen more forced non-integration over the last few hundred years. Your attitude towards us sounds pretty consistent with a communal chip on your shoulder because of that.

Blacks who immigrate willingly don’t show many signs of some inexorable incompatibility.
Okay. Imagine that. Chip on shoulder. Just another sign of incompatibility. And non-integration is better for you, of course. Blacks who immigrate willingly do keep with their own as well. Being with those you come from is known in your society as a family tree. The family tree of whites is mostly white if not totally white. The family tree of blacks is mostly black if not all black. I see nothing at all wrong with that. A white man who might have a black child will never be able to fully connect with that child when it comes to racial experiences. We have even seen the impact of how horrible of a relationship that sort of thing can become since the Markle girl's relationship with her white father being put in the spotlight. Race causes more conflicts between people that wouldn't be there if the races were not opposites.

Anyhow, why is it so good that the law does work to separate people by race and income but then so many go into a rage when we choose to self-segregate in the same way?

Old 04-18-2020, 08:01 PM

8,527 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Okay. Imagine that. Chip on shoulder. Just another sign of incompatibility. And non-integration is better for you, of course. Blacks who immigrate willingly do keep with their own as well. Being with those you come from is known in your society as a family tree. The family tree of whites is mostly white if not totally white. The family tree of blacks is mostly black if not all black. I see nothing at all wrong with that. A white man who might have a black child will never be able to fully connect with that child when it comes to racial experiences. We have even seen the impact of how horrible of a relationship that sort of thing can become since the Markle girl's relationship with her white father being put in the spotlight. Race causes more conflicts between people that wouldn't be there if the races were not opposites.

Anyhow, why is it so good that the law does work to separate people by race and income but then so many go into a rage when we choose to self-segregate in the same way?
Self-segregation is fine. The law worked for a long time to make sure segregation would be a sure thing. But I don’t see any inevitability for why it ultimately must be segregated forever like some kind of law of physics we can observe but doesn’t change.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:07 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,358,285 times
Quote:
This isn't a discussion about Hindus (although Hindus are definitely more white than black). It's about blacks and US/European whites. Blacks are not fearful and hateful, we are just not compatible with anyone else's culture, spirit, mind, body, preferences, etc. What one person sees as "poisoned" is actually failing to accept the mistake of importation of blacks to the US and other white societies followed by forced integration. The consequences of that mistake has been ongoing conflict between the two races and will continue that way for those who are "sickened and disgusted" until blacks and whites are separated for good.
I'm curious...the way I see it, American culture has rapidly changed over the years, especially with the rise of the internet.

What about American culture, be it white or black culture, is so inborn that it is not destined to change with time as well? Hell, forty years from now our society could be run by sentient machines that have I.Q.'s that are faster than the cumulative I.Q's of everyone else on Earth.

We'd already look like Star Trek characters to people from the 1950's just from our cell phones.

What aspects of either culture do you think are useful enough that they should be encouraged in one culture, but not in the other? Because the way I see it, there are some aspects of cultures that are kind of fun but not particularly harmful or helpful...like some Jewish holiday traditions...but most aspects of culture are either just flat out good or bad. They should either be encouraged or destroyed.

I would think that, ideally, there would be a merging of all cultures in which the negatives are removed, and the positives remain...with a few rare exceptions like Native American holidays and such. I can't think of many aspects a culture can have that are so vital to the people of that culture that they can't and shouldn't be destroyed, but that can't be used by other cultures at all because they're so useless to everyone else.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Self-segregation is fine. The law worked for a long time to make sure segregation would be a sure thing. But I don’t see any inevitability for why it ultimately must be segregated forever like some kind of law of physics we can observe but doesn’t change.
Integration has been proven not to work. Blacks being brought to the US in large numbers has not worked. It has been a failure. It has not improved anything in the US, not the UK, not SA, not anywhere that blacks and whites have been forced to live and work together in a way that was never naturally meant to be.

I did quite a bit of my growing up as an only black family in a poor white neighborhood. Whites forced to grow up in in black neighborhoods have no problem talking about the differences and conflicts they had with the blacks and were glad to leave when they did, and I have no problems talking about the differences and conflicts between myself and those poor whites, and why growing up with 'your tribe' is more important than just about everything else in the world throughout one's childhood.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:28 PM

8,527 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Quote:
Integration has been proven not to work. Blacks being brought to the US in large numbers has not worked. It has been a failure. It has not improved anything in the US, not the UK, not SA, not anywhere that blacks and whites have been forced to live and work together in a way that was never naturally meant to be.

I did quite a bit of my growing up as an only black family in a poor white neighborhood. Whites forced to grow up in in black neighborhoods have no problem talking about the differences and conflicts they had with the blacks and were glad to leave when they did, and I have no problems talking about the differences and conflicts between myself and those poor whites, and why growing up with 'your tribe' is more important than just about everything else in the world throughout one's childhood.
Well, the forced importation is the problem. Forced integration, not so much - the weight of history is on forced separation between whites and blacks. And I can understand why you’d be angry about that, or at least put black culture and history above mainstream culture., assuming you’re in the US. That’s kind of what you’d expect after that kind of history. I feel bad for you if you feel it so strongly that it results in such a hardened stance.

Also doesn’t mean that those who lack that particular history carry that same weight. It’s actually a lot of fun to be around others. Forces me to be flexible in how I take others, and I often learn something new, or try new food or music. It’s mostly fun, and the price of entry is just to make a good-faith effort.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I'm curious...the way I see it, American culture has rapidly changed over the years, especially with the rise of the internet.

What about American culture, be it white or black culture, is so inborn that it is not destined to change with time as well? Hell, forty years from now our society could be run by sentient machines that have I.Q.'s that are faster than the cumulative I.Q's of everyone else on Earth.

We'd already look like Star Trek characters to people from the 1950's just from our cell phones.

What aspects of either culture do you think are useful enough that they should be encouraged in one culture, but not in the other? Because the way I see it, there are some aspects of cultures that are kind of fun but not particularly harmful or helpful...like some Jewish holiday traditions...but most aspects of culture are either just flat out good or bad. They should either be encouraged or destroyed.

I would think that, ideally, there would be a merging of all cultures in which the negatives are removed, and the positives remain...with a few rare exceptions like Native American holidays and such. I can't think of many aspects a culture can have that are so vital to the people of that culture that they can't and shouldn't be destroyed, but that can't be used by other cultures at all because they're so useless to everyone else.
And that's what I don't get.

Why should something that is part of my culture have to be useful to another? I asked that because we see usefulness as different things because of who we are - quite a bit because of our race. What is flat out good or bad to you might not be the same for me. I'm not speaking of common decency and social norms here, I'm speaking, for example, of things that cause us to be separated because of our obvious physical characteristics and overall view of the world.

For example, it has been for a long time that we black folks could not work unless our hair was pressed or permed. This meant anywhere from two to eight hours on the hairdresser for women, could never get wet, always concerned if it was "going back" and showing up late everywhere we went because keeping it up is easier said than done. That's part of our racial experience that no one else understands because they don't have our hair. So in other words, while you guys are out surfing the beach and a five-minute shampoo afterwards, we are staying far away from the water because we'll have spend the next eight hours on our hair. Yes, this may seem like little stuff, but the time it takes just being black in white society is a big deal.
Of course, then wigs and weaves came along to help us not have to fuss so much and even go out on that beach, but everyone else started dissing us for that, too. So even when doing what we can to save time as well as take part in another culture, it's still a problem. That tends to be the story no matter what we do in life.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times
Quote:

Speak for your self or that individual. I have a black son and our relationship is rock solid. My daughters are half Asian. Once again rock solid. It all depends upon the family. Ours is tight and will always be tight, because we don't do the PC thing of making dumb excuses.

My son never beat me in a foot race until I was 48 years old. oops so much for that stereotype. He never shop, lifted, stole a car or did drugs. Damn there went another. He didn't join gangs.

He did learn to shoot guns, hunt, fish and garden. Once he bought the house from me he doubled our garden. Don't ask me why. 80x80 was big enough for 4 and then some.

Yes he has faced racists. No he has not allowed racists to define who he is. I include racists who are people of color in that statement. He didn't let the race baiters tell him how to think, nor does he use his race as an excuse or my race for an excuse for the mistakes he made.

He was a challenge for a while, but he came around. Once he stopped blaming everyone else for his problems. He was a good kid and a better man than me. Don't lump our family into your stereotypes.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well, the forced importation is the problem. Forced integration, not so much - the weight of history is on forced separation between whites and blacks. And I can understand why you’d be angry about that, or at least put black culture and history above mainstream culture., assuming you’re in the US. That’s kind of what you’d expect after that kind of history. I feel bad for you if you feel it so strongly that it results in such a hardened stance.

Also doesn’t mean that those who lack that particular history carry that same weight. It’s actually a lot of fun to be around others. Forces me to be flexible in how I take others, and I often learn something new, or try new food or music. It’s mostly fun, and the price of entry is just to make a good-faith effort.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Speak for your self or that individual. I have a black son and our relationship is rock solid. My daughters are half Asian. Once again rock solid. It all depends upon the family. Ours is tight and will always be tight, because we don't do the PC thing of making dumb excuses.

My son never beat me in a foot race until I was 48 years old. oops so much for that stereotype. He never shop, lifted, stole a car or did drugs. Damn there went another. He didn't join gangs.

He did learn to shoot guns, hunt, fish and garden. Once he bought the house from me he doubled our garden. Don't ask me why. 80x80 was big enough for 4 and then some.

Yes he has faced racists. No he has not allowed racists to define who he is. I include racists who are people of color in that statement. He didn't let the race baiters tell him how to think, nor does he use his race as an excuse or my race for an excuse for the mistakes he made.

He was a challenge for a while, but he came around. Once he stopped blaming everyone else for his problems. He was a good kid and a better man than me. Don't lump our family into your stereotypes.
I haven't said a thing about rock solid or not, tight or not. Has nothing to do with stereotypes of whatever "PC thing" mentioned. I've explained differences in experiences and personal preferences. I didn't associate any group with shoplifting or doing drugs. I didn't claim one group runs faster than the other either.

Sounds like some people would rather jump onto the high horse than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies