Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
More TDS nonsense from the "Let's blame Trump" crowd.
When he thought we had it under control, he said so. When it turned out to be out of control, he told us. CDC confirmed that person-to-person transmission was possible on Jan 30, and on Jan 31 he restricted travel.
Git a life.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,306 times
The USA is actually doing better than Europe in terms of per-capita deaths from Covid. The response from the American medical system has bee on par or better than the much vaulted European systems.

I remember seeing Democrats and leftists in the USA speak harshly (the typical claims of racism, xenophobia, etc.) when Trump first shut down travel from China. And then more complaining when he did it from Europe.

"Viruses don't have borders," and "Trump is xenophobic!" said Joe Biden.

"Let's go celebrate Chinese New Year and eat in China Town!" "We are not afraid!" Said every liberal politician in New York City.

Mainstream media publications ran articles about how Covid was not a big deal for the US. The entire country in February was still seeing it as a problem "elsewhere."

But do go on. This is not a war that Democrats can win. They were on the wrong side of the Coronavirus issue because they only act in opposition to Trump. So when alarm bells started to ring and Trump was ringing them, their knee-jerk reaction was to be in opposition. They have showed zero leadership on Covid, and the hardest hit places have been Democrat run. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:57 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Both sides are in error. Assuredly, Trump's bombast and bluster aren't helping. That's two points for the more buttoned-down leaders around the world, even Boris Johnson. But a Western, open, pluralistic society can't respond like a China, or even a Singapore. Culture matters! Neither an eminent statesman nor a hapless buffoon can do much to change the culture.

Speaking personally, I much prefer cleaving to Western openness and personal-rights, even at the cost of grotesquely horrendous death-toll. It is more important how we live, than whether we live.

Looking around the world, we see two types of countries that we done relatively "well" with the corona-crisis: closed/authoritarian societies, and places where, frankly speaking, there isn't a whole lot of international travel. The latter are the poorer countries around the world. There's a very strong correlation between corona-ravaging and the dual features of prosperity and openness. Open, prosperous countries are getting mauled. Others, less so. That is quite literally the price of freedom.

Undoubtedly, Trump could have been more open to policy-advice, less impulsive and less pompous. We would collectively feel better. But would there have been demonstrable improvement in the corona statistics, short of forsaking Western values? I doubt that.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
I won't fault Trump for his dimissing statements. I will put it up to trying not thave people panic.

But what I will hold him, and the folks around him -- is the lack of planning, strategy.

It isn't fact yet I don't think...but we are hearing that there was some knowledge of this virus back in December and the impact it was having.

Then Wuhan shut DOWN....that should have been the first clue for the CDC to say to Trump -- um this might get more serious....we need to look at resources, possible strategies if it happens here -- especially in NYC, Washingotn DC, Boston, etc..

For me there is enough outside of the delay in addressing the issue, to criticize Trump for. The federal govt. outbidding the states for resrouces so then the federal govt. could ship and charge? the states for those resources......the politicizing of support. If you said something nice he would talk -- if not he would encourage Pence not to talk to you...and that's the public stuff we saw -- lol....

Even now -- those liberate tweets were not good leadership...and that's Trump's role right now. If he does that well -- it's good for his campaign..but those tweets were just stoking partisan politics and not the time.

BUT..until we have hard facts on how much Trump was told before we became aware......Trump suffered the same fate as many leaders dismissing the concern.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:44 PM

20,122 posts, read 9,036,439 times
take metro NYC out of this equation (thanks Cuomo and deBlasio) and our country did a great job handling this virus.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:56 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,557,396 times
I'll just say that once DJT finally started to take this seriously, he did well. For a short time anyway. I was almost impressed. But then his leadership fell into rancor, and now it's getting downright obstructive. This just represents a return to normalcy on his part. I'm no longer impressed, and I'm getting concerned. Thinking back I suspect he was scared into brief rationality by the medical experts.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
Trump did nothing and keeps doing nothing except to try to find ways to blame others for his stupidity and neglect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlbfEUD--4M

Trump is now responsible for the deaths of more than 40,000 Americans. That's more people than we lost in the Korean conflict. It's not over yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GuNbGC2D_8

Trump is financially invested in the company that manufactures Hydroxychloroquine. This drug can cause severe heart arrhythmias resulting in death. There is at least one death that resulted in Trump's recommendation of this drug.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:07 PM

994 posts, read 502,600 times
Quote:
More TDS nonsense from the "Let's blame Trump" crowd
"TDS" ain't a thing, bless your heart.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:12 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...-slow-response

“ The first day President Trump mentioned the coronavirus in public, only one American was known to be infected. He assured the rest of the country it had no reason to worry.
“We have it totally under control,” Trump said Jan. 22 from Davos, Switzerland. “It’s going to be just fine.”

Behind the scenes, however, even some of his close aides thought the virus posed a much greater threat to the nation and to Trump.

Three months later, the United States leads the world in reported numbers of people infected and killed by the virus, with more than 39,000 dead. States, counties and local hospitals are desperately bidding against one another for scarce ventilators and other lifesaving equipment in a marketplace dominated by chaos, profiteering and fraud. And the country’s economy is in free fall, with more than 20 million Americans filing unemployment claims in the last month.”
Trump in 2013: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.”

Old 04-20-2020, 05:57 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
1st to stop travel from infected China; 1st to stop travel from infected Europe. Maybe "behind the curve", but ahead of the rest of the world. I'm okay with the job he's doing with handling it. He's put America first without worrying about being called a racist for his actions.
According to the New York Times 430,000 people have travelled from China to the U.S. since the coronavirus surfaced, there were 1,300 direct flights to 17 cities before Trump’s travel restrictions (which labeled him xenophobic and racist). -Since then, nearly 40,000 Americans and “authorized” travelers have made the trip, and continue, many with spotty screening. Flights continue this past week with passengers traveling from Beijing to Los Angeles, San Francisco and NYC under rules that exempt Americans and many others. So much for banning travel from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies