Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 02:44 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I disagree, I think that the media most certainly had an effect on school closings, businesses shutting down, and sporting events being cancelled.
No dear -world events - like hundreds dying daily?? Policy is not made on media news - give our government a little credit- jeesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:45 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
With all this hype, all this terror, panic, end-of-the-world sensationalism that we are being fed day after day by the media. Is there any chance, given their history of trying this before, that they are using a common cold/flu to literally destroy our economy?

CNN leads the way when it comes to One Story Journalism, choosing to grasp the hot button du jour and run with it until they can't no more. What concerns me though is that there's a deeper plot going on. One that has been tried before recently and failed. Perhaps this is another attempt at destroying the economy for the sake of political change?

If that turns out to be the case, how can we hold them accountable?
Over 3 million cases and over 200,000 deaths in a little over 2-3 months. The flu stats are over a year's time. I don't recall seeing lockers full of dead bodies, people in hazmat suits treating the ill, patients having to die alone, lingering physical issues with lungs, kidneys, liver and heart, blood clots and strokes in younger patients when we had flu or cold outbreaks.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
People have died from viruses every single day of my 47 years on this planet.
And what were the stats and circumstances under which they died? False equivalency.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
Leftists will do anything to gain or maintain power. Stalin, Hitler, Castro and Maduro have all proved that. They dont care if people suffer and die, as long as they maintain power.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
What does the Media has to gain from this? Trump is good for tv ratings.
Besides selling advertising slots, I suggest that our quote unquote media picks winners and losers of elections, and that those politicians then return the favor by buying advertising and hype for that media company. That’s just one motive I can think of. Another may be that most journalists have agendas now and by changing the outcome of a major election might fit their agenda?

Old 04-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
We gave it it's chance to see if it was going to be "lethal" or not. It wasn't. Time to open it back up. Sorry bread line communists, You're gonna have to let go.
So thousands of additional deaths a day is not lethal? You do realize we're not at the end, but just at the beginning of this thing, right?

Old 04-26-2020, 02:50 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
What's the possibility that the media is trying to destroy the economy again?
About zero. There is no master plan for all media members. Each person has his own agenda.

The problem is, journalism attracts a certain type of person. Journalism types are likely to have been good students who met with their various teachers' approval, were put in charge of the senior play, who were picked last for basketball, and stayed at home the night of the senior prom.

They find brilliance in their writings, because they have been repeatedly told their writings were brilliant. So they actually believe - really believe - that they are the link between politicians and the proletariat, and believe that the proletariat, inferior to them intellectually, depend upon journalists to explain everything they don't understand.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:50 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
With all this hype, all this terror, panic, end-of-the-world sensationalism that we are being fed day after day by the media. Is there any chance, given their history of trying this before, that they are using a common cold/flu to literally destroy our economy?

CNN leads the way when it comes to One Story Journalism, choosing to grasp the hot button du jour and run with it until they can't no more. What concerns me though is that there's a deeper plot going on. One that has been tried before recently and failed. Perhaps this is another attempt at destroying the economy for the sake of political change?

If that turns out to be the case, how can we hold them accountable?
Covid is terrible, but I do think if it weren't, media would portray it as terrible.

NY Times slant news coverage as policy before 11-16 against Trump. Any so called journalists who would do that have no ties to anyone on the planet, as it violated what journalism should be all about.objective reporting.

Covid is terrible, AND, not OR, I fully distrust the US media overall.

The latter part of the above can never be repaired.

Jason Blair was representative of the media. Fraud at Times started long ago. They cooked the Kitty Genovese story 50 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lFXzYuYaQ

Old 04-26-2020, 02:53 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
I don't like Trump fyi.
but you worry about "political change"

Old 04-26-2020, 02:53 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
And what were the stats and circumstances under which they died? False equivalency.
I’m not much of a statician, I assume that someone somewhere keeps a database of deaths. The last few major pandemics have been scary, quelled easily, and the survival rate has been pretty optimistic compared to the pandemics of old. Spanish flu killed so many people, but, in today’s world with today’s technology, I doubt it would have been as scary or as impactful as it was back then.

We take a version of Spanish Flu every year when we go out for our flu shots as you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies