Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Is it philosphically wrong to force someone to take a vaccine?
Philosophically, we'd have to first determine objective morality even exists; whether or not they should be mandated is simply a public health, rather than a philosophical, concern.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
With all this corona virus going around is it wrong to force someone to take a vaccine? If i dont take a vaccine then it should not bother someone who is worried because that vaccine is supposed to protect the person taking it. If other people get the vaccine which is their decision they should not worry if that vaccine was supposed to work.

It would be similar logic that no drug should be illegal because its our bodies. At the same time nobody should be able to force a drug or vaccine on anyone.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

IF people can be forced to do anything is that freedom? is it unethical to force someone to do anything?

where is that line drawn?
It cannot be done , the constitution ensures freedom form those dictates.
There will always be people in gvmnt who think they are God, the constitution was written to protect the individual, not to empower gvmnt.

Thats the end of it.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Philosophically, we'd have to first determine objective morality even exists; whether or not they should be mandated is simply a public health, rather than a philosophical, concern.
if it doesn't we're at the mercy of the next stalin.
You can debate whether it exists or not but we have to live as if it does.
Thats why you lock your door at night.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:59 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
if it doesn't we're at the mercy of the next stalin.
You can debate whether it exists or not but we have to live as if it does.
Thats why you lock your door at night.
I'm not commenting on public health or vaccines (or whether or not to mandate); I'm simply stating it has nothing to do with philosophy or the (lack of) existence of moral objectivity i.e. 'right' or 'wrong'.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:12 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I'm simply stating it has nothing to do with philosophy or the (lack of) existence of moral objectivity i.e. 'right' or 'wrong'.
It's actually a typical question one might ask as part of normative ethics course.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post
There's one more thing to consider.

If a person doesn't take the vaccine and gets sick, they might need not only an extra care by medical workers (that could otherwise offer their help to some other patients whose illness couldn't have been prevented), but might also require a very serious and expensive treatment in order to get better. What then?

There's the vaccine that can protect you, you decide not to take it, you get seriously ill and - others should pay for your recovery? The medical workers cannot simply leave you to die... It's unethical. In a way - it's not fair - neither to medical workers, nor to the country/tax payers...

I think that the main question is where our freedom ends and compassion for others starts.
There's nothing else to consider. My body, my choice, right?

So what if they need extra care? I have insurance, so I expect my bills to be paid, per the terms of my insurance. To deny me that, because I choose NOT to inject a substance into my body that is not 100% effective, is the unethical decision here.

Where would it end? We treat folks that smoke for COPD, emphysema and lung cancer. We treat addicts that have overdosed with Narcan, which is wildly expensive, and is almost always paid for by the taxpayer (sometimes repeatedly). We treat motorcycle riders that don't wear helmets, and folks that don't wear seatbelts. And we won't even discuss the treatment costs for the morbidly obese.

I have an autoimmune disease, and will not be putting anything into my body that may jeopardize my immune system. I have never had the flu shot, and have never had the flu, in all of my 50+ years on this earth, so my preventative measures of minimizing contact and boosting my immune system seems to be working.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:39 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I doubt that it would ever be made mandatory. However, I do believe that there could come a time when you have to present proof of vaccination to be allowed in certain places, such as airplanes, crowded gatherings, etc... Certainly, children who wish to attend public school will have it added to the list of vaccinations they must present proof of having received. If you wish to abstain, fine, but your movements may be restricted because of that decision.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There's nothing else to consider. My body, my choice, right?

So what if they need extra care? I have insurance, so I expect my bills to be paid, per the terms of my insurance. To deny me that, because I choose NOT to inject a substance into my body that is not 100% effective, is the unethical decision here.

Where would it end? We treat folks that smoke for COPD, emphysema and lung cancer. We treat addicts that have overdosed with Narcan, which is wildly expensive, and is almost always paid for by the taxpayer (sometimes repeatedly). We treat motorcycle riders that don't wear helmets, and folks that don't wear seatbelts. And we won't even discuss the treatment costs for the morbidly obese.

I have an autoimmune disease, and will not be putting anything into my body that may jeopardize my immune system. I have never had the flu shot, and have never had the flu, in all of my 50+ years on this earth, so my preventative measures of minimizing contact and boosting my immune system seems to be working.
You make some good points there. There was a lady that got the flu shot every year for years and she ended up dying of the flu!

We treat people who take risks like motorcycle riders and people who do not wear seat belts.

Some people who get vaccines die of the vaccines also!

Old 05-06-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I doubt that it would ever be made mandatory. However, I do believe that there could come a time when you have to present proof of vaccination to be allowed in certain places, such as airplanes, crowded gatherings, etc... Certainly, children who wish to attend public school will have it added to the list of vaccinations they must present proof of having received. If you wish to abstain, fine, but your movements may be restricted because of that decision.
I think its going to be mandatory for you to work. We are losing our rights now. The way I look at it is if other people get the vaccine I should not have to because they are protected.

With the covid virus they are using saftey to take away our rights.

look at this !! ....... https://www.biometricupdate.com/2019...-with-vaccines

You will need to get a vaccine and a digital implant!! The implant will prove that you got the vaccine .

Old 05-06-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
It cannot be done , the constitution ensures freedom form those dictates.
There will always be people in gvmnt who think they are God, the constitution was written to protect the individual, not to empower gvmnt.

Thats the end of it.

They have already passed laws that are unconstitutional. They are using covid -19 to take away our rights by using its for the saftey of people.

We shall see if they do try to force people to get a vaccine and see how they react. Will it get violent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies