Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was it murder
Yes 299 58.86%
No 68 13.39%
Don't know/let's wait and see as more evidence is gathered 141 27.76%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

35,658 posts, read 18,021,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And if the crime is less than a felony, it will have to have been a crime he had witnessed at the moment.

There's no good reason he should not have already reported having seen an earlier video of Arbery.
I'm getting a little dizzy from going round and round, and I'm sure you are too.

He did report it, in the original 911 call on feb. 23. He said he's been in the neighborhood breaking on video . . . or something like that.

It's McMichael's believe that it's likely Arbery is responsible for a variety of thefts, considering the number of times he's been caught on surveillance video in places he had no right to be in the same timeframe.

So. I think your question a few posts back was spot on. The jury will have to decide if it was reasonable for McMichaels to believe Arbery had committed a felony in the past when he gave chase.

If the case goes to trial. But anyway, yes, that's the core question of this case.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:55 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,129,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm getting a little dizzy from going round and round, and I'm sure you are too.

He did report it, in the original 911 call on feb. 23. He said he's been in the neighborhood breaking on video . . . or something like that.

It's McMichael's believe that it's likely Arbery is responsible for a variety of thefts, considering the number of times he's been caught on surveillance video in places he had no right to be in the same timeframe.

So. I think your question a few posts back was spot on. The jury will have to decide if it was reasonable for McMichaels to believe Arbery had committed a felony in the past when he gave chase.

If the case goes to trial. But anyway, yes, that's the core question of this case.
Mark. My. Words.

Acquittal. Or. Infinite. Hung. Juries.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:57 PM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:

Except that Arbery had not committed a felony. Police arrest people when they have evidence of felonies...and they knew who Arbery was.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:58 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,238,174 times
Quote:
Yes. THAT is the question the jury will have to decide, if this case goes to trial.
I ask again, are you a lawyer??? Because you seem awful sure of what "questions" will need to be decided...

According to the President of the Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, IF a crime was committed by Arbery it was at most a misdemeanor...

At that point the McMichaels had no right to pursue or attempt a citizens' arrest

Case closed...

Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,453,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The defense intends to prove it was sat least arguably a fair citizen arrest. They don't even have to be found correct. All they need to do is create enough murk to raise reasonable doubt. I think they will easily do so.
Only if a jury refuses to follow the law.

Most jurors in my experience try to understand what the law is and apply it.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Over 300 posts to argue an obvious lynching??

2 white armed men chase down an unarmed black man and gun him down in the street and there really needs to be discussion about what happened???

Zero evidence that Abery committed a crime before he was confronted by armed vigilantes...and all you good folks arguing that there was maybe, kinda, sorta of a crime maybe?? How does that justify the final outcome...

It doesn't....

At least one witness who states she saw Arbery out running almost every day though the jogging story seems to have been completely brushed aside by all the amateur detectives here...

"Lauren Bennett, 26, said she attended high school with Arbery and would regularly see him jogging through their Fancy Bluff neighborhood of low-slung homes and trees draped in Spanish moss. A runner herself, she would wave to him, she said, and was impressed by his dedication as he pounded the pavement on days when she was too exhausted."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...swers-n1202196

Since all the character assassination has been about Ahmaud Arbery, what about those fine upstanding armed vigilantes who caused the situation that led to Arbery's death?

Does it matter that the elder McMichael had been suspended multiple times and didn't exactly retire in good standing as a law enforcement officer??

"The Georgia ex-cop charged in Ahmaud Arbery’s shooting death lost his police certification for failing to complete mandatory use-of-force and firearms training, according to a new report.

Gregory McMichael, 64, a former Glynn County cop and investigator in the Brunswick district attorney’s office, was suspended one year before Arbery was gunned down on Feb. 23 — and also fell short of completing required police training in five of six years between 2005 and 2010, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

McMichael, who retired in June, was suspended last year for “failure to maintain training for the year 2018” — his second suspension while serving as an investigator in the local prosecutor’s office. The first, in January 2006, was for an undisclosed infraction, the outlet said."
https://nypost.com/2020/05/14/gregor...bery-shooting/

Didn't complete "mandatory use of force and fire arms training"....would be ironic if it weren't so sad.

The good ole boy network almost kept these two murderers out of jail but it didn't take long for an arrest to be made once that tape surfaced did it?? GBI seemed to think the evidence warranted a murder charge but all you arm chair detectives with no first hand knowledge of the situation keep trying to paint this a "righteous shoot"

Hope these 2 low lifes spend the rest of their lives in prison...
Not to mention the GBI said it took them less than 24 hours to decide the McMichaels should be arrested........inferring their counterparts in Glynn County were idiots.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 15 days ago)

Quote:
Except that Arbery had not committed a felony. Police arrest people when they have evidence of felonies...and they knew who Arbery was.
No they didn't. They didn't know who he was, and I think that's another thing the jury (if there is one) will have to answer. This becomes a little confusing, because Arbery's mother knew who McMichaels was, the man who had helped prosecute her son for crimes. It's not reciprocal - McMichaels doesn't appear to know who Arbery is.

Here are the questions for the court:

"Did McMichaels know the identity of the repeat trespasser in the neighborhood?"

and

"Is it reasonable that McMichaels believed this man who he gave to chase to, had committed felonies".

Old 05-14-2020, 07:07 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Well, people do go looking around construction sites all the time. Everywhere I have ever lived, city or country, people go looky looing around sites. Is it illegal, yep, but even if caught by the police they tell you to go away, they don't even arrest you. Now if you are stealing or vandalizing that is a different story, but that doesn't apply here since the owner said that nothing was stolen or damaged.
And there it is again. It DOES NOT make it OK.

It DOES NOT remove the financial risk from the owner.

Nothing needs to be stolen for there to be a risk to the owner or the builders.

Would YOU want to be the owner of a home where a "curious" pregnant mother wondered in to check out the layout, then tripped, fell and impaled herself on some rebar or something?

How much do you think that would end up costing you? I mean she was just curious, right? Go be curious on someone elses dime.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not to mention the GBI said it took them less than 24 hours to decide the McMichaels should be arrested........inferring their counterparts in Glynn County were idiots.
Or, inferring they were fearing a Ferguson style riot, which is not a bad guess.

The McMichaels have not been indicted. And the new prosecutor has said she won't be making that decision herself, but rather, will rely on a grand jury to make that decision.

Everyone's walking on eggshells there. And who blames them. No one wants the community up in flames or a repeat of a paramilitary group commandeering the neighborhood, to the point that police didn't even engage, as happened last week. Reminiscent of the LA riots after the Rodney King verdict, where police realized there would be more damage if they attempted to intervene in the violence.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Except that they still have to prove that McMichaels even saw Arbery trespassing...that day.

Gregory McMichael was at home at 230 Satilla Dr, Brunswick, GA, at the moment he reported seeing Arbery "hauling a**" past his house. The house under construction is 219 Satilla Dr.

You can do a Google Earth walk-through from 230 Satilla Dr to 2019 Satilla Dr to determine if McMichael might have serendipitously been looking far enough down the wooded street to have seen Arbery actually leave the building at 219 at that moment...or if he merely presumed that Arbery had been in the building because he'd seen Arbery in the video before. Having done the Google Earth walkthrough...I don't think so.

And let me point out that the prosecution has witnesses of Arbery being a regular many times before in that area, with one woman saying in effect that she could set her clock by Arbery's appearances.

Exactly.
Do you have the link to that by any chance?

What did she say Arbery was doing in the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies