Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 08:15 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW DAWG View Post
These statuses were put up decades after the Civil War to memorialize a band of traitors. It's dubious to call them "history".
They are history. It's dubious to 'define history' for someone else.

In Stuart Circle is the J.E.B. Stuart Monument, an equestrian bronze statue sitting atop a granite base. The statue, sculpted by Fred Moynihan of New York, was the second monument unveiled on Monument Avenue, in 1907, and was inspired by the statue of British Lieutenant General Sir James Outram in Kolkata , India . Frederick Moynihan was an American sculptor, born on the Isle of Guernsey in 1843. He died in his New York City studio on January 9, 1910. Moynihan studied at the Royal Academy of Arts in London before immigrating to the United States. He is best remembered for creating monuments commemorating the American Civil War .

What happens when we forget history? Are we not doomed to repeat it?

Last edited by ComeCloser; 06-01-2020 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

In Stuart Circle is the J.E.B. Stuart Monument, an equestrian bronze statue sitting atop a granite base. The statue, sculpted by Fred Moynihan of New York, was the second monument unveiled on Monument Avenue, in 1907, and was inspired by the statue of British Lieutenant General Sir James Outram in Kolkata , India . Frederick Moynihan was an American sculptor, born on the Isle of Guernsey in 1843. He died in his New York City studio on January 9, 1910. Moynihan studied at the Royal Academy of Arts in London before immigrating to the United States. He is best remembered for creating monuments commemorating the American Civil War .

Wasn't Jeb Stuart the traitor that abandoned Lee at Gettysburg? Yeah, that was him.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't think monuments to white supremacy will fare too well during a race riot.

Just sayin.
lol They are monuments to the democratic party. Who do you think controlled the South then? The left controlled the south until the early 1990s. Slavery, Jim Crow, that's all from the left.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:11 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

I don't think monuments, to a nation that was defeated, have a place on American soil. I'm not just saying that because they are monuments to democrats either.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol They are monuments to the democratic party. Who do you think controlled the South then? The left controlled the south until the early 1990s. Slavery, Jim Crow, that's all from the left.
Then the Democratic party embraced civil rights on the national elvel, and now it's the Republicans angling for votes in the "muh heritage" crowd.

Funny how that works, almost as if there was some sort of overall plan put into action. A strategy, if you will. In the South. Someone should come up with a name for that.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:18 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The ancient Egyptians enslaved and mistreated the black nubians to the south of them.
Should we tear down Egyptian monuments because the ancient Egyptians were racist?

Do we have Egyptian monuments here? Where are they. I'd love to see them.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do we have Egyptian monuments here? Where are they. I'd love to see them.
they have one in Bennington, VT

Old 06-01-2020, 10:28 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
they have one in Bennington, VT
Really. That's awesome.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:34 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good. I hate Confederate monuments. I want all of them torn down, and there's nothing anyone can say to change my mind. Period.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Let them fall...
I agree. I'm in favor of tearing down Confederate monuments. The Confederates and the Nazis are one in the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies