Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:40 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW DAWG View Post
These statuses were put up decades after the Civil War to memorialize a band of traitors. It's dubious to call them "history".
They were put up for another reason. It was a way of saying "Blacks, know your place. You might be free, but you'll never be equal". It was a way of saying "the war might be over, but we'll still maintain the slave-like way of life".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The only reason they exist is to taunt black people. It certainly isn`t the kind of history that any decent human being could be proud of.
THANK. YOU.

Those statues were erected because those who supported the slave plantation way of live felt vanquished and wounded. They paid tribute to those who fought for the slave-owner way of life. That is what the Confederate cause is about. It was about the freedom to own Black people. The Articles of Secession and Confederate Constitution mention the desire to own slavery, and are clear about it. They made no bones about it back in the day. Nowadays some people say "it was about states' rights not slavery". It was always about slavery.

Erecting Confederate statues was an explicit tribute to white supremacy. It was about "slavery is over, but Blacks better know their place as subservients".

Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The ancient Egyptians enslaved and mistreated the black nubians to the south of them.
Should we tear down Egyptian monuments because the ancient Egyptians were racist?

Look, concentrate about the events happening in THIS COUNTRY, not overseas. Get out of here with the gaslighting.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I don't think monuments to white supremacy will fare too well during a race riot.

Just sayin.
Read where the DAR removed their statute in Alexandria a month earlier than planned.

Probably a wise move.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:18 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Look, concentrate about the events happening in THIS COUNTRY, not overseas. Get out of here with the gaslighting.
Oh, dare to dream.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really. That's awesome.
I heard there's one on the Mall in DC but I must have missed it when I was there

Old 06-02-2020, 08:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree. I'm in favor of tearing down Confederate monuments.
This is only happening for virtue signalling purposes.
There is no reason to tear down 100 year old statues.

Most mature black folks are not offended by them, and simply just recognize them as a part of southern history. Only the immature, leftist variety of infantalized blacks feel the need to destroy a monument because they're "triggered" by it.

Terrorists destroy history, like ISIS, but that is not something civilized people should do.

It won't stop with confederate monuments, btw, leftists will want statues of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Lincoln, Columbus, and other white figures to be torn down as well, because they were "racist".

Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Germany does not have monuments glorifying the Third Reich. Modern Germans would not consider such monuments to be “mere history.”
Jeb Stuart did not murder 6 million jews............

Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I completely agree.

There is no comparison to keeping something in a history book vs. making a statue.

Scrubbing history books of the truth, no matter how painful or unflattering the truth is, is a problem.

Everyone who is interested should have the chance to know what happened before they were born.

But to put a statue up commemorating it? That's a celebration of that person/incident/era for the population to enjoy and be proud of.

And that's why statues do harm, where history books don't.
In my opinion. the statue brings to life in full size the historical figure..........not like some small picture in a book.............

Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do we have Egyptian monuments here? Where are they. I'd love to see them.
Egypt in America? | Great Discoveries in Archaeology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies