Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM

1,785 posts, read 961,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just saw a couple of NFL players talk about this. They are disappointed that this has come out right now but they aren't surprised and they still say they like the guy. I'm sorry I didn't note the name of the guys. Both were Black and they weren't outraged, disgusted, just disappointed.

So -- they aren't surprised about his comments which means they kind of knew where Brees stands.
Where he stands?! He stands like a patriotic American. You have a problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,711,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The idea to kneel during the anthem was given by a veteran. Spare the outrage, as though many people who kneel don’t also have family who fought for this nation. Not only that but many of their parents and grandparents fought for this nation only to be spit on and denied benefits when they returned home.
That is true from what I've read about a veteran offering that advice. BUT..does that matter if many other veterans disagree? Obviously a lot of veterans do agree with it but I guess my rant on that is just because a veteran gave him the idea doesn't automatically make it right.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,537,363 times
Quote:
Just saw a couple of NFL players talk about this. They are disappointed that this has come out right now but they aren't surprised and they still say they like the guy. I'm sorry I didn't note the name of the guys. Both were Black and they weren't outraged, disgusted, just disappointed.

So -- they aren't surprised about his comments which means they kind of knew where Brees stands.
Yes, Brees has been consistent since Kap saw his career slipping away.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,711,861 times
Quote:

It was Donte Stallworth & Ben Watson. Both retired.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:18 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,094,489 times
Yes the real story behind the kneel was tht it was a vet who suggested that would be a good way of expressing a protest without being disrespectful.

I do think it became a bigger 'sin' to kneel as the Preisdent turned it into a bigger statement....and completely avoiding anything to do with the purpose of the kneel.

So instead of saying...yeah I am not crazy about the kneeling but let's listen to what he is saying...our President proudly said -- disgusting and I'm shutting him down.

Same as now. Tehre are thousands and thousands and thousands of peaceful protests but Trump focuses on the looting/vandalism and uses that to divert from the real issue and addressing the concerns of the peaceful protests.

I'm hoping that open dialogue with Brees and others that like and respect him and play with him will shed light .

Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,094,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Where he stands?! He stands like a patriotic American. You have a problem with that?
But as many patriotic Americans support the right to kneel as a sign of protest as don't. It's debatable, subjective.

You are continually avoiding the issue that it was suggested that kneeling was a more respectful way to raise awareness...and it was a veteran who suggested it.

There have been countless vets who have spoken up and said that they support the right to kneel.......they don't see it as being unpatriotic.

9,049 posts, read 3,537,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The idea to kneel during the anthem was given by a veteran.
So what? Someone tried to help Kap make his disrespect less disrespectful.

Not really the point though.

9,143 posts, read 5,821,571 times
This is insane. Brees is a man of the highest character.
He is in no possible way racist.
This is what he said,
Quote:
“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country. Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the national anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States,” the 41-year-old quarterback told the outlet. "I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army and one in the Marine Corps. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag and singing the national anthem, that’s what I think about," he said. “And in many cases, that brings me to tears, thinking about all that has been sacrificed. Not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the ‘60s, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it is not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart, is it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and that we are all part of the solution.” Brees reiterated his stance later to ESPN saying that he also respects his teammates and their fight for "racial equality and justice."

"I believe we should all stand for the national anthem and respect our country and all those who sacrificed so much for our freedoms," Brees told ESPN via text. "That includes all those who marched for women's suffrage in the 1920s and all those who marched in the civil rights movements and continue to march for racial equality. All of us ... EVERYONE ... represent that flag. Same way I respect all the citizens of our country ... no matter their race, color, religion.

"And I would ask anyone who has a problem with what I said to look at the way I live my life," Brees added. "Do I come across as someone who is not doing my absolute best to make this world a better place, to bring justice and equality to others, and hope & opportunity to those who don't have it? That's what I meant by actions speak louder than words. ... My ACTIONS speak for themselves."
So, he should be "cancelled" because he loves his country?

15,359 posts, read 12,678,933 times
Didn’t Drew also get suckered for some diamonds and fall for a pyramid scheme?

Kneeling was never about disrespecting the flag and that’s why his teammates are telling him to **** right now.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:21 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,511,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Where he stand? He stands like a patriotic American. You have a problem with that?
Not really. He takes a personal viewpoint of the flag that does not encompass all American. To paint it entirely as a symbol of military duty is a disservice to Americans that did not serve. He needs to widen his horizons and talk to teammates about their differing viewpoint. But he obviously has not bothered. These are guys that helped him become a multimilliomaire. It’s clear that he is dead set in his opinion and hasn’t bother recaching out to them to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies