Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 02:48 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,635,445 times

Advertisements

Common sense isn’t something you can get in school. Many with degrees are helpless out of their field.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:52 PM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
nobody said you couldn't make money and be a moron at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Doesn't Hollywood prove exactly that on a daily basis?

Old 06-08-2020, 02:54 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,361,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
It's not that easy. Education does not equal intelligence nor does a lack of education meaning one lacks intelligence. They are two separate characteristics which can but don't necessarily overlap. I know i am not at the top intellectual level of those I grew up with. But I have a M.S. plus 3 additional Graduate Level certifications, each of which required an additional year of Graduate School. And I did so with a 4.0 GPA.

I achieved this with a lot of hard work and many a sleepless nights. Several friends I grew up with can come up with answers to problems much quicker than i can. They just lacked the willpower to pursue much formal education. They also tended to get bored with it very quickly. I also sometimes feel that people with an overabundance of Education can lose the obvious and probably correct answer by trying to overanalyze every aspect of a problem. i.e. over think things.

A lot of it has to do with an individuals aptitude and interests. Some people are good with math and computer skills. Some people are excellent mechanics. The mechanic may not be able to program a computer and likewise the computer programmer may not know how to figure out what's wrong with their vehicle. So who is the smartest of the two?

Old 06-08-2020, 02:56 PM

15,869 posts, read 6,342,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Unsubstantiated? How many white-privilege indoctrination seminars do you see outside of universities? Where else do you find critical race theory, identity politics, ethnic studies, women studies, etc?

What do you think these areas of "study" are for? These universities actively promote the hatred of white people. They foment division and discord. What job are they looking to hold down the road? Protester?

This is real. It's been happening for years. I remember articles on donors pulling their support because of these shenanigans. That made these schools take notice.

Last week, people marched from a predominantly black university in my town to protest and then engage in destruction later that night. Why do you think the march started there?
So you say. Ante up the evidence.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,662,286 times
Quote:
Crazy video but doesn't really address my point of leftist indoctrination prevalent in some institutions of higher learning.

Anyway, glad you were able to finally make your own choices. Must've been difficult.
What proof do you have of this indoctrination? Usually its one class or one professor making a weird claim and people run with it and act like it’s all colleges.

or is this simply about kids going away to school and finding out the world is larger than their town or small HS and kids are taking this time to find out what they truly believe.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,662,286 times
Quote:
Unsubstantiated? How many white-privilege indoctrination seminars do you see outside of universities? Where else do you find critical race theory, identity politics, ethnic studies, women studies, etc?

What do you think these areas of "study" are for? These universities actively promote the hatred of white people. They foment division and discord. What job are they looking to hold down the road? Protester?

This is real. It's been happening for years. I remember articles on donors pulling their support because of these shenanigans. That made these schools take notice.

Last week, people marched from a predominantly black university in my town to protest and then engage in destruction later that night. Why do you think the march started there?
Yeah.. you sound a bit off. Turn the news off.

The young are always the ones to protest in America. They have time and energy on their side. It has nothing to do with their education.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:14 PM

25,824 posts, read 12,868,345 times
I was a mid level manager for a GE Capital company while obtaining my MBA (thx GE!). The Division I ran always had excellent top 3 results nationally.

The company would hire a recent Harvard MBA as the new CEO every year, or two. This was a smallish GE business, so it was a good proving ground.

They'd fly them down for 1 week of "field training". I had 1 week to teach them everything they needed to know to assess the field operations, & P&L's. It was a big challenge. I was left unimpressed by all 3 I trained. All 3 of the rookie CEO's had Exec family & close-friend contacts that got them their GE CEO gigs right out of MBA school. Why not me? Because my degree didn't say Harvard, & I had no family or close-friend contacts in Stamford, CT, or Malvern PA

I had to adapt to progress, so I left for Greener pastures at another GE Capital business, that I later acquired, & still own.

Here's what I learned from it...There's 3 types of intelligence; memory, problem solving, & wisdom. An Ivy league MBA prooves you have a good memory, & some problem-solving theory ability (case studies). But real world problem-solving & wisdom can only be obtained by experience, trial & error. 3 years after I left, the company failed. The GE Capital company I acquired is still around. I had the last laugh

The USA is being run by Harvard & Yale MBA's, & J.D.'s. Most of them never had a real job they landed on their own, or ran a company, was P&L accountable, or even hired, trained, & fired employees. That is why America's in the shape its in today.

I'll take Trump , or Issa, or Romney, over Biden. Yeah, they're Silver spooners, but they still ran busineses. Theorists like Obama & Biden scare me after training those Harvard MBA's.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This!

I remember Rush Limbaugh, the college dropout with one semester of college education, on his show said he studied the prominent economists' papers and offered his "debunking" of why all the PhDs were wrong that Bill Clinton's plan would save the economy from the Bush recession. LOL.

Then Limbaugh popped up again when Obama was trying to save the economy from another Republican lead recession and said the US would have a lost decade and turn into Japan if we follow Obama, saying all the famous economists were wrong about Keynesian and his plan of austerity was the right path. LOL!!!

But literally every right-wingers were repeating those talking points - saying how we should be doing austerity because guys like Limbaugh said so. Then literally the entire GOP got behind the austerity thing.

It's true. The less educated tend to think they are smarter than the more educated.

And it is exemplified in this thread! Obviously many of those debunking higher education as indoctrination have never gone past HS with "true or false", circle the right answer, name the three, etc type of examinations, so they assume higher education is just more of the same. Somehow, to them, a farmer is more intelligent (because he can handle a bale of hay) than the engineer who invented the bale machine.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:40 PM

12,511 posts, read 9,595,585 times
While I can agree with someone who says that educational achievement isn't strictly associated with intelligence, certainly I've seen exceptions myself, but I think there's at least a general association there. Similarly, I hear people all the time say that what they learned in college isn't useful, or that mathematics isn't useful. I've used what I learned in college, grad school, and my post doctoral fellowship for over 30 years since... in addition to teaching myself a lot more beyond as I'm a lifelong learner. Yes, I have needed to know that stuff.

I'm really not going to try to argue with people who think that a lack of education is a sign of superior intellect, or that math doesn't really help anyone, or that they don't teach you anything useful in college. I just want to say - I don't agree with any of those assertions. They might make people feel good, but I disagree.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:56 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This!

I remember Rush Limbaugh, the college dropout with one semester of college education, on his show said he studied the prominent economists' papers and offered his "debunking" of why all the PhDs were wrong that Bill Clinton's plan would save the economy from the Bush recession. LOL.

Then Limbaugh popped up again when Obama was trying to save the economy from another Republican lead recession and said the US would have a lost decade and turn into Japan if we follow Obama, saying all the famous economists were wrong about Keynesian and his plan of austerity was the right path. LOL!!!

But literally every right-wingers were repeating those talking points - saying how we should be doing austerity because guys like Limbaugh said so. Then literally the entire GOP got behind the austerity thing.

It's true. The less educated tend to think they are smarter than the more educated.
An observation from my years of teaching HS science.

I had more than 3000 teens pass through my classroom and my job was to teach 'em chemistry and physics and to evaluate their academic performance.

95% of 'em were good kids. I knew they'd grow into decent productive adults. Even the ones who really struggled to pass HS level science that required about 8th grade level math skills. Matter of fact, I can't even estimate the number of times I "cheated" and gave a kid a passing grade even when their average was below the standard for a D minus.

That other 5%?

Well...

They were the ones who wouldn't listen. The ones who wouldn't read. The ones who wouldn't put out the least bit of effort. The ones who actively resisted learning. The ones who stirred up trouble. The ones wearing ankle monitors in far too many cases.

Those clowns were convinced that they were the smartest kids in the room. Too smart to "play the game" as they sometimes called it. The truth is they simply weren't high school material.

They were dumb as stumps. But they had that pre-adolescent brain hard wired to a big motormouth.

We all know the type.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies