Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:19 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the situation.

I wouldn’t hire an engineer to repair my leaky faucet. It’d take all day and cost thousands of dollars, because the engineer would over analyze everything.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t want my plumber running a nuclear power plant or designing the airplane I am going to fly in.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:35 PM

12,511 posts, read 9,595,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
An observation from my years of teaching HS science.

I had more than 3000 teens pass through my classroom and my job was to teach 'em chemistry and physics and to evaluate their academic performance.

95% of 'em were good kids. I knew they'd grow into decent productive adults. Even the ones who really struggled to pass HS level science that required about 8th grade level math skills. Matter of fact, I can't even estimate the number of times I "cheated" and gave a kid a passing grade even when their average was below the standard for a D minus.

That other 5%?

Well...

They were the ones who wouldn't listen. The ones who wouldn't read. The ones who wouldn't put out the least bit of effort. The ones who actively resisted learning. The ones who stirred up trouble. The ones wearing ankle monitors in far too many cases.

Those clowns were convinced that they were the smartest kids in the room. Too smart to "play the game" as they sometimes called it. The truth is they simply weren't high school material.

They were dumb as stumps. But they had that pre-adolescent brain hard wired to a big motormouth.

We all know the type.

My brother's father-in-law, when I was doing my post-doc, told me that my degree wasn't worth anything, that it was just for show. So I'm a chemistry PhD, doing a post-doctoral fellowship, at a prestigious government research institute, doing very advanced applied math research supported by computations encoding the nonlinear expressions that I had devised - I had my own grant money, and could work with anyone I wanted to at the institute and do anything I wanted to. And you know who the guy judging me was? An accountant. He had no PhD. He had no knowledge of chemistry, mathematics, or computer science either - he didn't know anything at all about what he was talking about, but he was the expert. All he really knew was, he was a flaming ---hole, and he wanted to make himself feel big, by making me feel small - that was really what that little discussion was about. I held my tongue, because he was my brother's father in law. Then when I got home, I called him up, and let him have it.

I like people at any level of education or intellect, if they're just a good person - that's how my Mom raised me, and how her Dad raised her. But I don't want to listen to someone run me down, who has a chip on their shoulder.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
My dad barely graduated high school, joined the Navy for 4 years in the 60s during the Vietnam War, he never spent a day in college and is at least 10,000x smarter than me, and I have a Master's degree in Environmental Science, so my Dad and I are living proof that educated ≠ intelligence, at least some times!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:47 PM

11,832 posts, read 5,816,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
My brother's father-in-law, when I was doing my post-doc, told me that my degree wasn't worth anything, that it was just for show. So I'm a chemistry PhD, doing a post-doctoral fellowship, at a prestigious government research institute, doing very advanced applied math research supported by computations encoding the nonlinear expressions that I had devised - I had my own grant money, and could work with anyone I wanted to at the institute and do anything I wanted to. And you know who the guy judging me was? An accountant. He had no PhD. He had no knowledge of chemistry, mathematics, or computer science either - he didn't know anything at all about what he was talking about, but he was the expert. All he really knew was, he was a flaming ---hole, and he wanted to make himself feel big, by making me feel small - that was really what that little discussion was about. I held my tongue, because he was my brother's father in law. Then when I got home, I called him up, and let him have it.

I like people at any level of education or intellect, if they're just a good person - that's how my Mom raised me, and how her Dad raised her. But I don't want to listen to someone run me down, who has a chip on their shoulder.

But from your posts - I'm not a good person because I voted for Trump - so you only like people who think like you think right? Unless I have you mistaken with someone else.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:47 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
trump supporter makeing 140,000 a year...Without the benefit of higher education...but you don't have to believe me.
I believe you. I assume you are in a skilled trade? Possibly a supervisor / manager too?

Old 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
When was the last time you went to an uneducated doctor, dentist, lawyer....lolol..

Old 06-08-2020, 05:03 PM

57,355 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I was a mid level manager for a GE Capital company while obtaining my MBA (thx GE!). The Division I ran always had excellent top 3 results nationally.

The company would hire a recent Harvard MBA as the new CEO every year, or two. This was a smallish GE business, so it was a good proving ground.

They'd fly them down for 1 week of "field training". I had 1 week to teach them everything they needed to know to assess the field operations, & P&L's. It was a big challenge. I was left unimpressed by all 3 I trained. All 3 of the rookie CEO's had Exec family & close-friend contacts that got them their GE CEO gigs right out of MBA school. Why not me? Because my degree didn't say Harvard, & I had no family or close-friend contacts in Stamford, CT, or Malvern PA

I had to adapt to progress, so I left for Greener pastures at another GE Capital business, that I later acquired, & still own.

Here's what I learned from it...There's 3 types of intelligence; memory, problem solving, & wisdom. An Ivy league MBA prooves you have a good memory, & some problem-solving theory ability (case studies). But real world problem-solving & wisdom can only be obtained by experience, trial & error. 3 years after I left, the company failed. The GE Capital company I acquired is still around. I had the last laugh

The USA is being run by Harvard & Yale MBA's, & J.D.'s. Most of them never had a real job they landed on their own, or ran a company, was P&L accountable, or even hired, trained, & fired employees. That is why America's in the shape its in today.

I'll take Trump , or Issa, or Romney, over Biden. Yeah, they're Silver spooners, but they still ran busineses. Theorists like Obama & Biden scare me after training those Harvard MBA's.
The topic of the thread is uneducated vs educated not Ivy League against the world. The OP was making a point that those without an education are smarter, while there are anecdotes that is generally not true. This seems to have taken hold with Trump, he knows more than climate change scientists, West Point Generals and Infectious Disease Health experts. It's a childish notion that his instincts should prevail over experts because he "thinks' he has knowledge.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:12 PM

25,816 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The topic of the thread is uneducated vs educated not Ivy League against the world. The OP was making a point that those without an education are smarter, while there are anecdotes that is generally not true. This seems to have taken hold with Trump, he knows more than climate change scientists, West Point Generals and Infectious Disease Health experts. It's a childish notion that his instincts should prevail over experts because he "thinks' he has knowledge.
To GE Capital I was "uneducated". Only their Harvard MBA's were "educated". Sorry you totally missed that point.

IMHO, your brigning Trump into the discussion is TOTALLY off-topic...no?

Old 06-08-2020, 06:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
To GE Capital I was "uneducated". Only their Harvard MBA's were "educated". Sorry you totally missed that point.

IMHO, your brigning Trump into the discussion is TOTALLY off-topic...no?

No, it isn't off topic. trump is a perfect example of a person with little or no education in science who challenges scientists validity often.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:12 PM

234 posts, read 90,315 times
Because our educational system at every single level has been nothing but indoctrination camps for almost 100 years. The higher your education the deeper your indoctrination and often lower your intelligence. The educational system is made for conformists and the easily led and controlled to succeed. No room for radical thought. They are in the business of producing workers and slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies