Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 11:03 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper455 View Post
Whenever slavery and white guilt is mentioned, I like to remind people about the triangle trade. Where 1/3 of that trade was the African kings and rulers who actively participated and profited from selling their own people. Do their descendents share the guilt too?
The descendants are mad because the kings of Africa squandered their slave-selling wealth and did not create any lasting civilizational foundations, institutions, etc.

Look at Mansa Musa.... richest man ever to live. African. Dealt in slaves with the Arabs. Left nothing behind that had any kind of staying power for the African people. He lived before the first European stumbled south of the Sahara in west Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 11:04 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Don't deflect. Everyone has empathy for George. This was a moment squandered by the BLM crowd, btw.

I am asking you: Do black people have empathy only for George Floyd? Only for those killed by white cops?

White America has a PRESENT DAY problem with being victimized by minorities at rates that are disproportionate. This causes them to fear black inter-personal violence, which is demonstrable. Do you empathize with the white community's feelings in this regard? Do you empathize with someone who says blacks must atone in general for their PRESENT DAY actions against whites at large?
I empathize with anybody who is unjustly attacked, no matter what they look like or who they are.

I'd love to see the evidence that white America is being victimized by minorities at a disproportionate rate.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:05 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
No- but it has caused havoc all over the world for hundreds of years.
Yes, it was sunshine and butterflies all over the world until those darn white people.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That may be so... but there seems to be very little push back. And if there is, that person is tagged as a racist.

I am only reacting to what I see.

I am continuing to think through on this as events happen.
Well, I've said it before.....white folks are apathetic as all get out. And in recent years we've been told to mind our own business, so we do. I think most of us feel if the liberals want to feel guilty and apologize, have at it. Then we just go about our daily lives as we do with most things.

I believe we're all trying to unwrap what's been happening around us. I appreciate your consistently reasoned and thoughtful posts on this and all matters.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:08 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Nah, "spiked-online" is just another source of RW nonsense and fear-mongering.
What part of the article do you dispute? Be specific, please.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:09 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Either isn't paying attention, or is just disingenuous. ^^^^^^
This is why all of this is hopeless. People fixate on a few ridiculous individuals at the fringes of the argument and extrapolate them to be representative of "everybody". And most people are too myopic to recognize that.

It's too bad that the Rally to Restore Sanity didn't stick (almost ten years ago now). People are more paranoid than ever.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
George Floyd was killed unjustly, and his killer deserves life in prison.

They are putting halos over his head during the memorial..this is a man who was convicted of a home invasion robbery where a black woman said he held a gun to her pregnant belly.

I mean, can any black people here see that there is something kinda out of line here?

Old 06-09-2020, 11:43 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
George Floyd was killed unjustly, and his killer deserves life in prison.

They are putting halos over his head during the memorial..this is a man who was convicted of a home invasion robbery where a black woman said he held a gun to her pregnant belly.

I mean, can any black people here see that there is something kinda out of line here?
Does not matter to the loons who see him as representative of something larger - the black mans struggle against whitey. His criminality is because of racism. It's turtles (racism) all the way down. It's class/identity politics. The funny thing is if we play this chain of cause all the way back to racial slavery everyone seems to think that this is where it ends. But racial slavery was born out of a preexisting slavery that had nothing to do with racism.

It does no good to use the past to solve the issues of the present by appealing to whitey history.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
You have to look at it from the perspective of our neo-Marxist friends on the left, if you are middle class, you are more privileged than the poor, thus you are an oppressor, if you are from an intact family, you are more privileged than those from broken families or those without families, thus you are an oppressor.
Fascinating lack of logic.
Quote:
Our neo-Marxist friends on the left really are simple minded enough to see things as a binary like that. Try to show some sympathy for them.
After posting that, you say "simple minded."

Fascinating

Old 06-09-2020, 11:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It’s so ironic...”you big lump of people are trying to put me into a lump of people and I won’t stand for being stereotyped!” ... oh wait.

Irony is not a mineral.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies