Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 10:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

When I got to the store, the doors were closed and thus I couldn’t enter. On the “inside” side of the door were about a dozen customers, just standing there (and apparently wanting to get out). But NO..... no one could get in, and nobody in could get out. I motioned to young woman trapped inside, asking what’s going on, and she directed my attention to a sign in the door that said:

”We are in the middle of a nine-minute silence to honor the life of George Floyd, and the lives of all black people. The doors will open upon completion.”

We don’t have this level of homage for a United States President! Stop elevating this guy as if he were a saint. It’s ridiculous.

P.S. What about the lives of white people? Eh.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I would think that would be a violation of the fire code, to lock people in a store.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 2,967,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
When I got to the store, the doors were closed and thus I couldn’t enter. On the “inside” side of the door were about a dozen customers, just standing there (and apparently wanting to get out). But NO..... no one could get in, and nobody in could get out. I motioned to young woman trapped inside, asking what’s going on, and she directed my attention to a sign in the door that said:

”We are in the middle of a nine-minute silence to honor the life of George Floyd, and the lives of all black people. The doors will open upon completion.”

We don’t have this level of homage for a United States President! Stop elevating this guy as if he were a saint. It’s ridiculous.

Floyd was a dangerous felon. Macy’s can rot away. Thanks for the post. Boycott Macy’s and Starbuck’s any any other spineless racist organizations.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:37 AM

8,342 posts, read 2,967,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would think that would be a violation of the fire code, to lock people in a store.
Great point. Those locked in should sue.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Good point. Although if a fire started, I’m sure the staff would be willing to interrupt their nine minutes of silence and unlock the doors.

It’s obvious why they had to lock them, though. If the entire floor staff is occupied paying homage to a felon, a lot of stuff could walk out the door in those nine minutes.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:46 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Click bait. Your title said that I wouldn't believe why.

Before I opened your thread, I thought: "Let me guess, something to do with George Floyd or BLM and virtue signaling?"

We should have a contest, I want to win something.

But most importantly: Did you still go in there and give them money after that nonsense?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Macy's would be closed if a president had been murdered.

You couldn't shop for 9 minutes. Boo-hoo.
It’s the idea that this man is being elevated to sainthood, and that the sign also said it was to honor the lives of blacks as well. This over-the-top PC stuff is ridiculous.

And MACYs SHOULD be closed if a president has been murdered. But dozens of black people are murdered every weekend, and they don’t have moments - MINUTES - of silence. Or what about that black police captain shot by the looter? Where’s his moment of silence?

This guy didn’t deserve to die, but making him out to be the second coming of MLK is ridiculous. He was a common thief, an ex-con, and a deadbeat dad whose kid didn’t even recognize him.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:50 AM

393 posts, read 166,826 times
Quote:

What about the folks lock in?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:

You're comparing George Floyd to a president?

lol

Old 06-13-2020, 10:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
It's less about Floyd for himself and the symbolic representation of people killed for petty crimes at the hands of overly aggressive police.

Absolutely positively odd that Macys did that.

It's not the place for it.

Definitely a inconvenience.

Now if they announced BEFORE the closing of the doors that they were going to close the store for 9 minutes and people chose not to leave -- that's on them I guess.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies