Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

BREAKING: Major win for LGBT rights at #SCOTUS with 6-3 decision that federal law bars workplace discrimination against gays, lesbian and transgender. GORSUCH writes for Dem appointees. ROBERTS agrees. ALITO/THOMAS/KAVANAUGH dissent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 08:28 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
One place that comes to mind that has the right to deny a person a job because they choose to be transgender, might be a church that by this person displaying their choice to be that way - and many religious people believe it is a choice - and it goes against their religious convictions/beleifs, that person might not be able to work there, if their lifestyle choices are against the moral standards of the church. Since the church has to employ people who follow their religious beliefs, then that person might just be naturally not right for the job.

is this discrimination or is it that the transgender is refusing to follow the moral code of the church, maybe the church would have to say to all future employees - a list of regulations that they must adhere to in order to be employed. if transgenerism is not allowed, then this would state they cant be an employee.

so in other words, when a company has a duty to display certain moral practices and beliefs, then they are going to have a problem with people they consider immoral to work there. there might be other institutions like Christian colleges with the same concerns. And rightly so.

For example, a church cannot let a practicing prostitute work there if they are going to continue their sex work. Or maybe the institution would not allow other kinds of people involved in morally objectionable lifestyles/habits/etc work there.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:36 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Take that, Trump! (lawyers for the Trump admin had argued against the rights of the gay people)

Old 06-15-2020, 08:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Take that, Trump! (lawyers for the Trump admin had argued against the rights of the gay people)
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read it I can't wait until he tries to explain this loss to "his" evangelicals.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read it I can't wait until he tries to explain this loss to "his" evangelicals.
He lost on sanctuary in California too. And gun rights challenges to new restrictions were all refused. But the gay rights thing was a BIG ONE. Many states, including my own, do not offer any protection to gay persons in employment matters. That will change now and that change is a good thing.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:45 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,056 times
Huge win for LGBT. Before this SCOTUS ruling, someone could be fired for being gay and it was perfectly legal in many states.

Now it's illegal at the federal level(thus all states) to fire someone or refuse to hire someone for the sole reason that they are LGBT. Many people had to hide their status because it could cause them to get fired and it was legal.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:46 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,710,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump appointee Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion.

Even Trump appointee Kavanaugh added this in his dissent:
"Notwithstanding my concern about the Court’s transgression of the Constitution’s separation of powers, it is appropriate to acknowledge the important victory achieved today by gay and lesbian Americans. Millions of gay and lesbian Americans have worked hard for many decades to achieve equal treatment in fact and in law. They have exhibited extraordinary vision, tenacity, and grit—battling often steep odds in the legislative and judicial arenas, not to mention in their daily lives. They have advanced powerful policy arguments and can take pride in today’s result."

Old 06-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

"Notwithstanding my concern about the Court’s transgression of the Constitution’s separation of powers, it is appropriate to acknowledge the important victory achieved today by gay and lesbian Americans. Millions of gay and lesbian Americans have worked hard for many decades to achieve equal treatment in fact and in law. They have exhibited extraordinary vision, tenacity, and grit—battling often steep odds in the legislative and judicial arenas, not to mention in their daily lives. They have advanced powerful policy arguments and can take pride in today’s result."
In happy to see that Gorsuch was persuaded to go with the majority so we did not have another "controversial" 5-4 decision. Good job by Roberts.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

Good for Gorsuch!

No one should lost their livelihood because of their sexual orientation.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
BREAKING: Major win for LGBT rights at #SCOTUS with 6-3 decision that federal law bars workplace discrimination against gays, lesbian and transgender. GORSUCH writes for Dem appointees. ROBERTS agrees. ALITO/THOMAS/KAVANAUGH dissent.
I certainly don't want a man turned woman teaching at my elementary school. I hope the employers still have their freedom in hiring, even though it potentially paves way for the "Social justice" discrimination law suits against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies