Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 10:00 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was pretty easy for the man who brought this case to prove discrimination because of his sexual orientation. There were no complaints about his job performance until a co-worker reported that he belonged to a 'gay softball team' and that is when his employer decided to fire him
So this was some sort of one-off action. How many situations like this are there in a given year? Not very many, I am sure. This is the first one in real life that I can recall ever hearing about. Again, this decision does not appear likely to have very much practical effect.

However, as a Christian - while I am not sure about the other legal ramifications of this ruling yet - I do not want anyone to lose their livelihood solely "because they are gay". And I am certain that the vast number of Christians and conservatives in this country agree with that sentiment, all lies by the constantly lying Democrat leftists in this country to the contrary, notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess in the event a gay/transgender person wanted to work in such places (and I can't imagine why they would-I know I wouldn't want to work in a place where the employers/coworkers were antagonistic about my beliefs), he/she could fight it out, and win, in court.
yeah that's what Mr. Bogart did in this case that was decided today. He lost his job and fought for 6 years to get it back and finally won in the Supreme Court, but why should anyone have to do that? His ability to perform his job was never in question, he was fired because he would rather take another man on a date than a woman. So in your opinion, a person has no right to a job where employers or co-workers are antagonistic about their beliefs?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:02 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Cool, arrived at basically the same thing I've been saying. If being in a relationship with a man is only a problem if you are not a woman, it is discrimination based on the employee's sex.

"An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex," Gorsuch"

Old 06-15-2020, 10:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I completely agree. A good, just ruling.
A horrid legal decision to impose a modern social policy that Congress has refused to enact.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 AM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
I notice that all mainstream sources narrowly talk about employment discrimination, as if this was just about protecting workers from being fired.

No, ALL of the protections of the 1964 civil rights act now apply to LGBTs (an identity that people can just invent). A lot comes with that.

Victim and identity politics are about to get stupid.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So this was some sort of one-off action. How many situations like this are there in a given year? Not very many, I am sure. This is the first one in real life that I can recall ever hearing about.

Again, this decision does not appear likely to have very much practical effect. But as a Christian,- while I am not sure about the other legal ramifications of this ruling yet - I do not want anyone to lose their livelihood solely "because they are gay". And I am certain that the vast number of Christians and conservatives in this country agree with that, all lies by the constantly lying Democrat leftists in this country to the contrary, notwithstanding.
I'm glad to hear that you don't want someone to lose their job because they are gay, but what in the world is this supposed to mean?
Quote:
'And I am certain that the vast number of Christians and conservatives in this country agree with that, all lies by the constantly lying Democrat leftists in this country to the contrary, notwithstanding."

Old 06-15-2020, 10:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Wasn't that a settled issue already?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Clearly it wasn't.
Based on Equality Act of 2010, there are certain protected classes of people who cannot be discriminated against:

- age,
- disability,
- gender reassignment,
- race,
- religion or belief,
- sex,
- sexual orientation,
- marriage and civil partnership, and
- pregnancy and maternity are now to be known as 'protected characteristics'

https://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/...%20appropriate.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:08 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is just another one of those things they won't openly discriminate about, but they'll still do it. You can't legislate thought.
Why have laws about murder, rape, theft, etc., then? Some people think those things are OK.

What a dumb premise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
But the left despises churches and people who have faith! They'll do anything they can get away with to prove their hatred of believers!
How typical to stoop to hyperbole. This sort of hateful argument doesn't look good on anyone.

LGBTQ rights are not an issue of faith, but an issue of equality. That said who was it that commanded that we love our neighbors as we love ourselves again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Why do we even have a Congress any more when the Supreme Court will simply step in and re-write legislation when Congress has declined to do so?
Perhaps you're not familiar with the Constitutional concept of separation of powers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This will open the door to federal funding for LGBT organizations, grants for LGBT scholarships and programs, etc.
It already exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Your faith should allow you to discriminate?
Right? WWJD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
No, the Christian Left believes in equal rights for everyone. Jesus never fired anyone for being gay and never withheld medical care from trans people. This is a win for Christianity!!!
Hallelujah, and amen.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess in the event a gay/transgender person wanted to work in such places (and I can't imagine why they would-I know I wouldn't want to work in a place where the employers/coworkers were antagonistic about my beliefs), he/she could fight it out, and win, in court.
Religious schools have fired LGTB staff for not only marrying, but BIRTH CONTROL for Straight Staff (Vasectomies). How far do you want to take this? Should same be true for firing Hospital Staff? Should religious medical care facilities also have the right to refuse to treat LGBT patients because their lifestyles goes against their religious views as well? Do you really want to go that far as well?

Edit: I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in a Catholic hospital, and was told, "We don't do abortions here". They would not so much as give me an IV or a sonogram until my doctor got there SCREAMING at them. How far do you want to take "Religious Freedom"?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:14 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I notice that all mainstream sources narrowly talk about employment discrimination, as if this was just about protecting workers from being fired.

No, ALL of the protections of the 1964 civil rights act now apply to LGBTs (an identity that people can just invent). A lot comes with that.

Victim and identity politics are about to get stupid.
No, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies