Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 11:42 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times

Advertisements

Considering the number of Trumplicans on my feed calling for a Barnes and Noble boycott while posting a Babylon Bee article I’m not sure it’s the left that is brainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Which one is a "fake victim" group?
All of the ones I mentioned.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No Civil Rights was for blacks. It was for the descendants of slaves who were legally excluded from mainstream society for 100 years.

It wasn't for Spanish speakers

It wasn't for immigrants

It wasn't for White women

It wasn't for men who like to wear dresses

It wasn't for bi-curious white males who experiment with fellatio.

They keep expanding it to include fake victim groups.

That is simply false. The civil rights act of 1964:

Prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin.

That pretty much covers all of your examples except for the LGBT group.

For example if a white guy is working at a business with all non white co workers and a new boss who is black becomes his supervisor. The black supervisor cannot fire the white employee because he is white.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:53 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
BREAKING: Major win for LGBT rights at #SCOTUS with 6-3 decision that federal law bars workplace discrimination against gays, lesbian and transgender. GORSUCH writes for Dem appointees. ROBERTS agrees. ALITO/THOMAS/KAVANAUGH dissent.
BUT, you CAN discriminate against better qualified white females, and males, who should be considered as Biden's VP running mate, but who have no chance, whatsoever, of being selected. If I were a very qualified Democrat female or male I would formally demand consideration by Biden, and prepare to sue the Democrat Party if not selected.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I am ok for transgender people. I am just worried about the potential for misuse of the laws.

Like the race card, people can play the discrimination card.
So true - instead let's make believe that discrimination doesn't exist and...problem solved!

Old 06-15-2020, 11:57 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Is it? Or is this just another feel good thing? Employers are going to discriminate. This is just another one of those things they won't openly discriminate about, but they'll still do it. You can't legislate thought.
Age discrimination is Illegal also.

But just try and keep your job at many companies past the age of 60.

How many people over 60 do you think work at Apple or Google ?

Old 06-15-2020, 11:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
The strict Muslim Democrats aren't going to be happy about this.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:00 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Age discrimination is Illegal also.

But just try and keep your job at many companies past the age of 60.

How many people over 60 do you think work at Apple or Google ?
At 60 you really shouldn’t be living paycheck to paycheck anymore or be dependent on a corporation for your continued survival.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Take that, Trump! (lawyers for the Trump admin had argued against the rights of the gay people)
The government lawyers were not arguing against the rights of gay people, they argued that the court should respect the plain meaning of the word "sex" in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Good for Gorsuch! No one should lost their livelihood because of their sexual orientation.
I agree, no one should lose their livelihood because of their sexual orientation, but it should be up to people to elect legislators that pass those laws. It should not be up to SCOTUS to rewrite laws for the legislature. I am beyond shocked that two men who built their entire legal careers against judicial activism (Roberts & Gorsuch) now have become judicial activists and super legislators.

I think this ruling alone will cause Trump to lose reelection. One motivation for the base to turn out was to return sanity to the SCOTUS. If textualists and originalists become activists once they are on the court, there is no reason to bother voting any more. For anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I certainly don't want a man turned woman teaching at my elementary school. I hope the employers still have their freedom in hiring, even though it potentially paves way for the "Social justice" discrimination law suits against them.
Quote:
How would you know that it's a "man turned woman"? That's just silly no one does an examination of a persons genitals when they hire them, so you probably should get a grip and realize that there are trans people teaching school right now and no child has been harmed by them.
I think the issue is that Mr. Johnson, your 3rd grader's, 6'2", 240 pound teacher can leave school Friday as Mr. Johnson and then Monday show up in a dress and announce to the class to call him/her Miss Delilah now.

What if Mr. Johnson is your son's middle school PE teacher? When he becomes Miss Delilah, can he still go into the boys locker room?

Quote:
I think SCOTUS has realized that it needs to show independence from Trump unless it wants to lose all credibility.
It is not the job of SCOTUS to show "independence" from anyone. It is their job to rule on laws as written, not rewrite ones they disagree with

Quote:
So that's a reason not to legislate it? It's the same thing with discriminating against disabled people, if they show up for an interview in a wheelchair you just screen them out and I'm not so naive that I don't expect that to happen to LGBTQ people, but in this case Gerald Bostock had been hired and was doing his job to the satisfaction of his employer (Clayton County Georgia) until he was fired after a co-worker revealed that he was on a gay softball team. That is why this is not just a 'feel good thing'
I think it is wrong Bostock was fired, but it is more wrong for the SCOTUS to rewrite Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and make the word "sex" into something it has never meant. The original meaning and text both refer merely to male and female. The law was written to prohibit that discrimination. If the court felt Bostock had been wrongly fired, they could have said so in fiery denial of the case.

Justice Potter Stewart said it best in dissent in Griswold, a philosophy all but abandoned by our newest legislative branch. He said in part, "But we are not asked in this case to say whether we think this law is unwise, or even asinine. We are asked to hold that it violates the United States Constitution. And that I cannot do."
"But it is not the function of this Court to decide cases on the basis of community standards. We are here to decide cases 'agreeably to the Constitution and laws of the United States.' It is the essence of judicial duty to subordinate our own personal views, our own ideas of what legislation is wise and what is not. If, as I should surely hope, the law before us does not reflect the standards of the people of Connecticut, the people of Connecticut can freely exercise their true Ninth and Tenth Amendment rights to persuade their elected representatives to repeal it. That is the constitutional way to take this law off the books."

In this case it would be the constitutional way to put a law on the books, but the principle remains the same.

Someone mused why we needed Congress, I would muse, why do we need states? If SCOTUS is going to remove all state prerogatives by judicial ukase, what is the point of states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Some will, yes. Most won't. Most will seek to maximize profits, and exposing themselves to costly lawsuits is going to be far more detrimental than their petty rejection of talent because of orientation or transgenderism ever was.
Most, maybe all, big companies already policies against discrimination on sexual orientation. Who this effects is the small business, who may have only 10 or 20 employees that they work in close contact with. A Muslim business owner who thinks homosexuality is against God's will would be forced to hire and forbidden from firing a gay employee and therefore forced to work with them.

More to the point, your suggestion - that such a law will have no effect and so is not worthy or irrelevant - is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
People speed. Espionage happens. People steal. Rape happens. People murder. You're aware that all of those things are illegal, right? I wonder if you fail to grasp the concept of deterrence, or if you're just reaching for some spin to dismiss a just and decent ruling that makes you unhappy.
What if a not too distant SCOTUS decides that attraction to children (pedophilia as we call it) is a sexual orientation, not a sexual deviance? Or less drastic, that speeding laws violate some heretofore unknown constitutional right. Do you want to have the SCOTUS determining the quality of life laws in your city and state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually, a persons' sexual orientation is none of a companies' business. All the court did was reaffirm that.
That is not what they did. They rewrote a law passed in 1964. The Employment Non Discrimination Act (ENDA) has been proposed in every Congress since 1994 and it has not passed, not even in years when one party controlled the House, Senate (with a veto proof minority) and presidency. If the people's elective representatives didn't see fit to change Title VII (which EVERYONE recognized what the words meant), who is the SCOTUS to legislate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
As a private business I don’t have to disclose why someone isn’t hired. This is a moral victory nothing more.
I guess it has depended on the size a company, but my company has to report to the EEOC on who is hired and who is not. When I am interviewing to hire I have to fill out forms noting each person I interview's sex, race, age and a box to fill in the disposition of the interviewee (i.e. moving on in process, not qualified, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WE agree -- it shouldn't be a big deal. But it could have been if the Surpreme Court had decided a company could fire someone for being gay. That's the thing -- most 'equal rights' aren't a BIG deal - or SHOULDN'T be......but the fact some individuals have to take the matter to the Supreme Court for a decision suggests that it still is for some.
What is a big deal is this is legislating. The U.S. Congress has considered passing laws on discrimination against LBGT people and not passed the laws. If the people's elected representatives chose not to pass the law, the SCOTUS is wrong for rewriting the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
HOORAY!!! No, the Christian Left believes in equal rights for everyone. Jesus never fired anyone for being gay and never withheld medical care from trans people. This is a win for Christianity!!!
To the woman caught in Adultery, Jesus said, 10“Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?” 11“No one, Lord,” she answered. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”

Jesus didn't say, "it's okay, party on girlie!", he said “Now go and sin no more.”

Grace isn't the same as Approval.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:17 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The strict Muslim Democrats aren't going to be happy about this.

Most have more issues with Trump than gay people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies