Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 04:43 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Because that's only what you claim they represent but is not what they represent to others. I already explained that.

No one has to accept your or the left's narrative and take down historical monuments. Once this narrative is accepted then it won't stop until everything and anything of white identity is taken down, which is the real goal.
It's about what the Articles of Secession said about Black people and slavery. The entire point was to keep Blacks enslaved. It's in the Confederate Constitution. It's in the Articles of Secession. It was in Alexander Stephen's Cornerstone Speech. This isn't some "leftist drivel". These are the original words of southerners who lived back in 1860. Southerners themselves were saying these things. This isn't "leftist narrative". The Confederate flag is a symbol of the Confederacy. The Confederacy wanted to keep slavery, more specifically, keep Blacks enslaved. You have not proven me. All you've proven is that you don't like what I have to say. Prove me wrong. Prove to me that the Confederate cause had nothing to do with keeping Blacks enslaved. Come on, I dare you. You have failed to prove me wrong. And I should have to tolerate something that was about keeping me or my ancestors enslaved? Where is the logic in that? You still haven't given me a good reason as to why I should tolerate anything honoring Confederates.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That poster had just explained why in the very post you quoted. Didn't you read it? If not, I suggest that you go back and read it slowly and thoroughly.

Yes I know the DAR sponsored these monuments but it still doesn't explain why it became an emergency to put up these monuments 50 years later, why did they wait so long.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Or maybe they are smart enough not to see only black and white and true and false.
Well, some of us don't have that luxury. I'm Black. I don't have the option of seeing this in levels of gray. It's either right or it's wrong. Period. The Confederate cause was dedicated to keeping slavery. My ancestors were slaves. If I had been living back then, I would have been enslaved. To me, the answer is simple: The Confederates are my open enemy and are to be treated as enemies.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Someone in Tennessee has started a petition to replace the state's Confederate monuments with statues of Dolly Parton. Everyone loves Dolly!

But those Dolly statues might be too top-heavy. They will probably topple on their own without any mob's help.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ders-tennessee
I'd rather see a statue of Dolly Parton than a statue of any Confederate. I don't mind listening to some country music.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's about what the Articles of Secession said about Black people and slavery. The entire point was to keep Blacks enslaved. It's in the Confederate Constitution. It's in the Articles of Secession. It was in Alexander Stephen's Cornerstone Speech. This isn't some "leftist drivel". These are the original words of southerners who lived back in 1860. Southerners themselves were saying these things. This isn't "leftist narrative". The Confederate flag is a symbol of the Confederacy. The Confederacy wanted to keep slavery, more specifically, keep Blacks enslaved. You have not proven me. All you've proven is that you don't like what I have to say. Prove me wrong. Prove to me that the Confederate cause had nothing to do with keeping Blacks enslaved. Come on, I dare you. You have failed to prove me wrong. And I should have to tolerate something that was about keeping me or my ancestors enslaved? Where is the logic in that? You still haven't given me a good reason as to why I should tolerate anything honoring Confederates.
Civil War monuments don't have anything to do with the Articles of Secession, slavery or blacks.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:52 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Slavery was of course a very big factor, but there was nearly secession 30 years earlier over tariffs that helped Northern manufacturers and raised costs for Southerners.

It was a lot more complex than one issue.

4 of the 11 states did not secede until Lincoln called up troops to invade the seceding states.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Civil War monuments don't have anything to do with the Articles of Secession, slavery or blacks.
Blacks were a big part of this. It was Blacks who were slaves. It was the southern states that wanted to ensure they could keep Blacks enslaved. They wanted it bad enough to secede and fight for it. Articles of Secession tells you this. There were Blacks who fought and died in the Civil War. Vast majority of them fought for the Union, not the Confederacy. Ask yourself why that is.

It might have not been a fight to free slaves for the Union, but it was a fight to keep slavery for the Confederacy. Confederate monuments honor those who fought for the Confederate cause. And the Confederate cause had keeping Blacks enslaved as one of the most important goals of all. It has alot more to do with Blacks than you care to believe. It has alot to do with the Articles of Secession than you care to believe. Without slavery or the Articles of Secession, there would be no Civil War.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Slavery was of course a very big factor, but there was nearly secession 30 years earlier over tariffs that helped Northern manufacturers and raised costs for Southerners.

It was a lot more complex than one issue.

4 of the 11 states did not secede until Lincoln called up troops to invade the seceding states.
Slavery was one of the biggest factors, and a tipping point. Tariffs might have been a factor, but slavery was at the heart of the growing division in America during that time. The slave states were afraid of losing representation. This is why pro-slavery forces and abolitionist forces had violent clashes in Kansas. Look up Bleeding Kansas.

4 out of 11 likely didn't secede because of odd loyalties. Tennessee was the last to secede. It's an interesting state. Ever notice that the Nathan Bedford Forrest monument was in Memphis, not Johnson City? Not much of a coincidence. Memphis was a slave trading river port among the cotton plantations of western Tennessee. Eastern Tennessee is Appalachia. Hardly any slavery there. Terrain is too rough and the climate isn't that good for cotton growing. The first states to secede were among the big slave-owning states.

Keeping slavery was a huge goal for the Confederacy. One reason I can't respect the Confederacy. Why would I tolerate paying homage to those who fought for a cause in which keeping my ancestors (or me if I had been living back then) enslaved? How does that help me?

Old 06-16-2020, 05:04 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
"And here in the town square is a memorial for those defending a Confederacy that seceded specifically to uphold slavery. But it has nothing to do with Secession, slavery or blacks - how dare you!"

Anyway - you and people like you have played that transparently dishonest game for too long, and the pendulum is swinging the other way. Would have been so much smarter to concede and do the honorable thing in a civilized manner, but...

Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Blacks were a big part of this. It was Blacks who were slaves. It was the southern states that wanted to ensure they could keep Blacks enslaved. They wanted it bad enough to secede and fight for it. Articles of Secession tells you this. There were Blacks who fought and died in the Civil War. Vast majority of them fought for the Union, not the Confederacy. Ask yourself why that is.

It might have not been a fight to free slaves for the Union, but it was a fight to keep slavery for the Confederacy. Confederate monuments honor those who fought for the Confederate cause. And the Confederate cause had keeping Blacks enslaved as one of the most important goals of all. It has alot more to do with Blacks than you care to believe. It has alot to do with the Articles of Secession than you care to believe. Without slavery or the Articles of Secession, there would be no Civil War.
The monuments are to honor those individuals valor and memory not about the Confederacy politics and ideology you keep shoehorning in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies