Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 03:42 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,878,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nobody gave a rat's behind about minority and low-income children 7 months ago. Why the 180?

In Germany.

Where the virus is under control.

Nice try, but ...
That's a false narrative. Nobody? you know the argument is lost when anyone speaks in absolutes. However I get the "feelings" when it comes to kids... I have 4. They're all adults now, but I get it.

The "study" is just that, a study. A point of reverence. However there are parts of the United States that have lower infection rates than Germany, so if you believe the Germans are doing the right thing... then why not right here? Rural farm communities need to educate the kids who can't get "learning" at home.

What is the issue?

**FYI... my rural (primarily republican) county has a large population of Hispanics that work in AG. The school is A RATED by no mistake, so the rats behind is pitching in.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Interesting how cases spiked in relation to the Memorial Day holiday. Many tourists and visitors came from the infectious northeast where everything is closed down, to southern states where people are allowed to live their lives. A woman in Florida said she'd never seen so many out of state plates.

Also interesting that 300 labs in Florida falsified their CV19 test results or the people reporting those results lied about them, inflating them tenfold.

Is this about the virus or about the election?
Why would anyone come to Florida from the northeast, they had a 14 day quarantine. That is not a big travel date to Florida anyway, the migration is the other way. Florida had 150,000 new cases in two weeks and infection rate of 13% yet your worried about a some mistakes in the lab (not falsifying) counting negatives. None of that changes the new infections or the hospitalizations.

They still cant come around to requiring masks or a complete stay at home, you have to wonder what it would take.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:48 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,127,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would anyone come to Florida from the northeast, they had a 14 day quarantine.
That was never enforced.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:53 PM

14,969 posts, read 9,878,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, this thread appears to be about TX and Fl. Both states have about two orders of magnitude higher number of daily new cases / population than Germany.

Germany - about 4 new daily cases/million
FL - 500+ new/million
TX - 300+ new/million
Again vaild numbers (maybe), however both states are big and the infection rates are not consistant around the state(s). As an example... 50% of the cases in FL are in two counties. I live in a rural county in FL with less than 500 TOTAL cases and 2 deaths.

Draconian lock down rules are just that...

Old 07-15-2020, 03:55 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,381,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
That was never enforced.
It was in gated communities and hotels.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:56 PM

6,023 posts, read 2,267,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would anyone come to Florida from the northeast, they had a 14 day quarantine. That is not a big travel date to Florida anyway, the migration is the other way. Florida had 150,000 new cases in two weeks and infection rate of 13% yet your worried about a some mistakes in the lab (not falsifying) counting negatives. None of that changes the new infections or the hospitalizations.

They still cant come around to requiring masks or a complete stay at home, you have to wonder what it would take.
There are so many roads that go into Florida from Georiga and Alabama that there was no way to really enforce it. Florida / Georgia border had many two lane roads that people use to get cheap gas (much less taxes than Florida) all the time, even some college students from FSU and FAMU do this to save money sometimes. The only check points were on I-10, I-75, and I-4. Anyone that wanted to go to a beach in the panhandle or Jacksonville and have visited before could go around that easily.

Miami is different they just opened up too quickly as they were on lockdown through the Memorial Day weekend. I don’t envy the people that had to make the call on when to open, it was a crap shoot.

Let’s be honest Covid-19 is a mystery to us, we have never lived through a pandemic, we are learning as we go. At least some of us are, our Governor is an idiot who seems to like the taste of his foot.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:01 PM

5,593 posts, read 2,329,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
There are so many roads that go into Florida from Georiga and Alabama that there was no way to really enforce it. .... The only check points were on I-10, I-75, and I-4.....

I don't think there were any checkpoints on I-75 or I-4. Only I-10 and I-95.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 3,730,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Again vaild numbers (maybe), however both states are big and the infection rates are not consistant around the state(s). As an example... 50% of the cases in FL are in two counties. I live in a rural county in FL with less than 500 TOTAL cases and 2 deaths.

Draconian lock down rules are just that...
Yes, the rates are not constant, however the bolded above does not really tell us much without knowing county's population.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Florida is doing 3x as many tests as we were doing 1 month ago. So 1000 a month ago is the same as 3000 today.
A month ago the positivity rate was 4%, and now Miami is clocking 30%.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Interesting how cases spiked in relation to the Memorial Day holiday. Many tourists and visitors came from the infectious northeast where everything is closed down, to southern states where people are allowed to live their lives. A woman in Florida said she'd never seen so many out of state plates.
I live in Florida, and I have no idea what you are talking about. The most populous counties were still locked down during Memorial day.

Quote:
That was never enforced.
The beaches were closed, and restaurants and bars were closed. Not a conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies