Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2022, 09:41 AM

864 posts, read 440,330 times

Advertisements

I lean conservative, especially fiscally. I don’t have opinions on holidays one way or the other. But there should be a finite number of them because all they do is cost taxpayers who to have to pay more to give government employees more free time off.

Pick a number of holidays and stick with it. Want to change or add new ones, delete one or combine two. It’s getting rather ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:00 AM

1,213 posts, read 568,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I lean conservative, especially fiscally. I don’t have opinions on holidays one way or the other. But there should be a finite number of them because all they do is cost taxpayers who to have to pay more to give government employees more free time off.

Pick a number of holidays and stick with it. Want to change or add new ones, delete one or combine two. It’s getting rather ridiculous.
TBH, holidays should be banned. They cause nothing but trouble. The only thing they do is generate more money for the 1%. Allow a certain amount of personal days for those that wish to partake in festivities or customs that they celebrate.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:07 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I just got back from a quick trip to PA and a visit to Gettysburg and it was very moving and really incredible to think what happened there.

If Black Lives didn't Matter to white people in 1863 over those 3 days then when? And the Dems still demand that White people do more for Black people to help shed our "White Guilt". it is crazy.

What gets me about Juneteenth is that the last time a President created a National holiday was in 1983 when Reagan Okayed Martin Luther King day. MLK day is for everyone. King's message of Freedom, Equality, Justice and Love was meant for Everyone but Juneteenth is only meant for Black people. Leave it to the Dems to create more division...

Old 06-19-2022, 10:08 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post

If we gave them the rest of the year off w/pay we’d still come out ahead.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:10 AM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Quick history lesson for you. Slavery didn't end in the United States on June 19th, and the end of slavery had nothing to do with the Emancipation Proclamation. That only applied in the Confederate States of America, fundamentally a different country at the time. And it was only written as a weapon to encourage violence by slaves in that country. Juneteenth is a celebration of when one little group of people in Galveston heard about the EP, after they were conquered by the Union.

Slavery didn't end then, or with the end of the civil war. It was still legal in the north (Union) states. Slavery didn't end in the United States until the 13th Amendment was passed by the American people and implimented-in December of 1865. And that DOES deserve to be celebrated.

But Juneteenth? A celebration of ignorance. One that seems focused on deflecting from the fact that slavery was legal and practiced in the North, as well as in the Confederacy.
My underderstanding is, the Emancipation Proclamation was developed to keep Great Britain from entering the war on the side of the Confederacy.

One of the big issues the southern states had with the US Federal government were the cotton tarrifs and the prohibition on direct trade between the south and Great Britain. The South wanted to sell cotton directly to Great Britain at higher prices rather than being forced to sell to the US government at lower prices. Great Britain wanted to buy direct from the southern states.

Cotton tarrifs had dropped the price of cotton from like 30 cents per pound to 5 cents per pound. The south could get much more than 5 cents a pound by selling direct to Britain, and Britain could get raw cotton from the South rather than having to buy clothing whole from the USA.

Circling back to the Emancipation Proclamation, Great Britain had a vested interest in the Confederacy as its own nation, so they could buy cotton directly. That is why Great Britain was thinking of assisting the Confederacy during the Civil War. Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation and the public in Great Britain, where slavery had been outlawed in 1807, insured that Great Britain could not enter the war to support a "slave state".

At least, this is my understanding.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:15 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Juneteenth is a celebration of the emancipation of slaves in the United States and is probably one of the most - if not the most - significant events in US history. It's a huge deal. Frankly, it is more deserving of a national holiday than some our long standing holidays. Your use of the "cucked" and "virtual signaling" in this context tells me you don't have the slightest idea what either word means or somehow think slavery wasn't a big deal.
Wrong....go read up about Juneteenth. I swear so many people are just making stuff up now.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:25 AM

24,637 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am supportive of a Juneteenth holiday. It has real meaning in celebration of a real historical event. It means something to black Americans.
Blacks have accomplished everything there is to accomplish in America: president, billionaire, doctor, lawyer, general, etc but Juneteenth means nothing if we still disproportionately commit crime, murder, are obese, uneducated, etc.

Black success is not black holidays, it is when we blacks are not doing bad things disproportionately to everyone else in this country.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:21 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just got back from a quick trip to PA and a visit to Gettysburg and it was very moving and really incredible to think what happened there.

If Black Lives didn't Matter to white people in 1863 over those 3 days then when? And the Dems still demand that White people do more for Black people to help shed our "White Guilt". it is crazy.

What gets me about Juneteenth is that the last time a President created a National holiday was in 1983 when Reagan Okayed Martin Luther King day. MLK day is for everyone. King's message of Freedom, Equality, Justice and Love was meant for Everyone but Juneteenth is only meant for Black people. Leave it to the Dems to create more division...
Why is it only for black people? It was a great benefit to this country to end slavery, even if some at the time didn't think so.

The ending of slavery also lives on today as a remembrance that America can admit its errors, fix them, and move forward.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:23 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A good point..... when it costs huge amounts of money to.... buy a house....buy a used car.... buy health insurance...... send your kids to day care...... and now, put gas in your car and food on your table.....
That's slavery?

I'm not one to kink-shame, but that's putting your victimization fetish a little out front and center, isn't it?

Old 06-19-2022, 12:23 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am happy to see Juneteenth celebrated nationwide. Sadly, we have plenty of people who will make all kinds of snide remarks like "another holiday for Black people to kill each other", or "the Democrats are pandering to Black people", or "Blacks should be thankful to Trump".

I realize something. Well actually, Juneteenth just gave me an opportunity to see how some people really are. Some people still have the same old nasty, racially charged attitudes that date back to 1700. The difference is that back in the old days, alot of people who were like this were unabashed about it. They had no problem being openly bigoted. Nowadays, there is a more passive aggressive strain. It comes with the snide remarks. It isn't "We hate Juneteenth because it's a holiday that celebrates something that good that happened to Black people". It's more thinly veiled comments that allude to, but not directly saying so.

America was never truly the land of the free, home of the brave, until ALL Americans were truly free. And for a decent-size portion of America's history, America wasn't truly a free country for all. That is how I see Juneteenth as a Black American.
That's how I see it, too, but I am not Black. It celebrates the end of a terrible part of our history, and as a words person, I rather like the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies