Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know what Juneteeenth was prior to this year?
Yes 159 51.62%
No 149 48.38%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 11:11 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,603,494 times

Advertisements

I don't think this was taught much in history when I was in K-12 school and if it was, it was quickly glazed over. Given the historic significance, it's a shame it was neglected the way it was.

However, I am open to learning about the parts of history that were not taught with the amount of attention that was warranted. Leaning more about this has certainly been eye opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Doesn't mean anything to me. All kinds of elites claim one thing and are the exact opposite and have been for forever in this nation.

I view him as a Marxist, from what I have seen.

He also claimed he was a man of God but was an abhorrent womanizer, and laughed as women were raped in front of his face, according to sources.
If King was a Marxist, how exactly does that invalidate “Letters From a Birmingham Jail” or “The Negro Is Your Brother?” Explain?

LMAO...”man of God” who was a womanizer? That’s a good one.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:15 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I don't think this was taught much in history when I was in K-12 school and if it was, it was quickly glazed over. Given the historic significance, it's a shame it was neglected the way it was.

However, I am open to learning about the parts of history that were not taught with the amount of attention that was warranted. Leaning more about this has certainly been eye opening.
There's more important days than the celebration of when Galveston learned about the emancipation of slaves. If you were in Texas, you probably knew about it. Otherwise, chances are that you didn't.

It became a national thing when Trump promised to make it a federal holiday last year.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:40 AM

327 posts, read 211,189 times
I’m just confused why the anti history cancel culture losers are suddenly interested in history to push their agenda……..

Old 06-19-2021, 12:05 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have to admit I never heard of the day until the news started reporting about Trumps rally scheduled on the same day. I don't remember this being taught in schools I went to school in Southern California 1974-1987.

"June 19, 1865, Gen. Gordon Granger arrived with Union soldiers in Galveston, Texas, and announced to enslaved Africans Americans that the Civil War had ended and they were free — more than two years after President Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation."

Quoted from this link https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...9?icid=related
I was teaching that event in my Texas History classes 50 years ago.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:06 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What does this tirade have to do with Juneteenth? (head scratching)
It doesn't. This is just plain old rage. And I knew this kind of rage was going to happen.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If King was a Marxist, how exactly does that invalidate “Letters From a Birmingham Jail” or “The Negro Is Your Brother?” Explain?

LMAO...”man of God” who was a womanizer? That’s a good one.
It was never proven that Dr. King was a Marxist. This is just some lie people say to cover up why they really hate Dr. King. Bringing up Dr. King being a womanizer, this has nothing to do with "Letters From A Birmingham Jail" or "The Negro Is Your Brother". Alot of people who dislike Dr. King dislike him for one reason: Alot of those persons still wish Jim Crow laws were still in force.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
I’m just confused why the anti history cancel culture losers are suddenly interested in history to push their agenda……..
It’s important to have good history taught to people. Teaching people that the Confederacy had a good and noble cause is an example of very bad history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It doesn't. This is just plain old rage. And I knew this kind of rage was going to happen.
I’m enjoying their rage. They aren’t getting angry enough for my taste. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was never proven that Dr. King was a Marxist. This is just some lie people say to cover up why they really hate Dr. King. Bringing up Dr. King being a womanizer, this has nothing to do with "Letters From A Birmingham Jail" or "The Negro Is Your Brother". Alot of people who dislike Dr. King dislike him for one reason: Alot of those persons still wish Jim Crow laws were still in force.
Conservatives who do claim to love King love him for one reason: he’s safely in his grave.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:38 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Well it was a Texas specific holiday since it was when Texas got informed that the slaves were freed...2.5 years after the Act was signed.

And it is taught in Texas schools and it has been celebrated for decades upon decades in Texas.
It was also declared a Texas state holiday in 1980.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:01 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
There's more important days than the celebration of when Galveston learned about the emancipation of slaves. If you were in Texas, you probably knew about it. Otherwise, chances are that you didn't.

It became a national thing when Trump promised to make it a federal holiday last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well it was a Texas specific holiday since it was when Texas got informed that the slaves were freed...2.5 years after the Act was signed.

And it is taught in Texas schools and it has been celebrated for decades upon decades in Texas.
It was also declared a Texas state holiday in 1980.
I'm not from Texas and have never lived in Texas, so it wasn't emphasized in schools when I was growing up decades ago. I am a native of North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies