Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 12:12 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,248,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Thank you. Many people seek out every opportunity to say "see, Blacks are inferior". Doing that "why can't you be more like Asians" thing is only stirring up more anger and resentment.You notice said persons make no differentiation between Blacks who follow the thug/hood rat culture and Blacks who are part of the middle and upper classes?
Of course there is a difference. We are talking about the problems with underclass black communities where there is a lot of unemployment, single parent homes and violence. The culture there is largely "thuggish" and education frowned upon.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:13 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,526,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Common refrain from people that think that is the only way people succeed.

But sure, if the white corporatist can buy up some politicians, why can't a black corporatist? That example only covers about 2 or 3 dozen people in the country, but have your little straw man deflection if it pleases you to engage in fallacy.

The ACTUAL average successful person (income higher than $75k or so) probably got there with a combo of good attitude, work ethic, delayed gratification, saving over spending, education, dedication, goals, and not making mistakes that follow you around. I don't GAFF what color, religion, gender, etc. Success is based on behavior and choices, and so is failure. You can tell that success is colorblind because anyone of any race who does the same stuff that successful people of any color do, they wind up successful.

And those people succeed in the exact same America that people just like them fail in. Pick any demographic you want, and there's plenty of folks in that demographic succeeding just fine using all the time proven behaviors that breed successful outcomes. You may have a higher percentage of one demographic than another that are over some threshold, but the point is that there is no demographic group in this country that does not have successful people in it, and lots of them at that.

So if you find yourself failing, there is someone who looks exactly like you who succeeded in the exact same America that you think holds you back. I use "you" as a generality, not you Burdell specifically. Anyone thinking some systemic problem holds them back is lying to themselves to avoid the cognitive dissonance associated with admitting their own failure, because some exactly like them has succeeded where they have not, in the same system, same culture, same history, all of it.

It's not a secret how to succeed. Whole areas of bookstores and libraries (the ones that still exist) are devoted to "how to succeed at XYZ" manuals. All say pretty much the same stuff. Whether anyone chooses to adopt such common sense measures is on them, not society.
pretty much this.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:16 PM

73,060 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Of course there is a difference. We are talking about the problems with underclass black communities where there is a lot of unemployment, single parent homes and violence. The culture there is largely "thuggish" and education frowned upon.
Well, it wasn't listed in the title. If this was specifically about the Black underclass, the OP should have said so. The OP didn't say "underclass",only Blacks.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,386,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, it wasn't listed in the title. If this was specifically about the Black underclass, the OP should have said so. The OP didn't say "underclass",only Blacks.
It's a common theme in here among the conservatives/Republicans.

For being so-called proponents of "rugged individualism" they sure do like to collectivize groups at the drop of a hat.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,526,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Where in that does it end with a hand out as a solution? I am not asking white folks for jack slit!!!

In 1967, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan said that black illegitimacy presented a threat to black socioeconomics, the black rate was already 27% and at that time the white rate was less than 5%. Today the black rate is 74% and the white rate near 30%. That means that the black rate is about 3 times higher than in 1967 but the white rate, today, is about 6 times higher.

The increase in out of wedlock births and its sibling single parent homes, since the 50's, has been an AMERICAN PHENOMENON....not just black. Racial oppression made the rate higher for blacks to begin with, which is why they are higher now.
the destruction of the family unit, which is the byproduct of us becoming a more secular society, is the reason behind the downfall of america.

Last edited by blahblahyoutoo; 06-22-2020 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,717,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The only phenomenon is government as provider. LBJ's great society, as a follow on to FDR's many well-intentioned, but not well-thought for the long term consequences is the phenomenon. Whether the holler or the hood, fat, dumb and provided for is not healthy for society.
That is BS. The movement of women in the work place and equal pay meant women were not longer dependent upon men to provide for them. The traditional role of the man was provider and protector. Allowing women's rights in employment and pay meant that women could provide and protect themselves without a man.....as well as have kids without a husband. The assumption that the government took over the role of provider totally ignores single parent homes among the middle and upper class, which has been increasing.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 PM

24,659 posts, read 9,482,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So then you are saying there is no way out, no way to change because of what was learned hundreds of years ago and poor blacks are stuck in a bad cycle forever.
That’s what liberals hope. How do you think they keep the black vote? By convincing us blacks that we’re helpless victims dependent on government legislation and free crap for social mobility. It’s always the white man’s fault.

Notice how Asian Americans and African immigrants have zero problem obtaining education to prosper.

Is it no wonder these neighborhoods loot and riot when democrats have convinced them that’s the only way to prosperity and change?

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-22-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,653,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
To me, you sound like an armchair warrior who has selectively compared disparate parts of the world in an attempt to shore up a boorish and prejudiced statement.
I'm not sure how to explain myself better. The topic of this thread is that black people should emulate Asian culture. I compared an example of an Asian area and a predominantly black area, and compared them in terms of the number of murders. By this measure, the Asian area is clearly, vastly superior.

Would it help if I compared my own personal observations? I work in downtown Baltimore, and I see fights, garbage on the ground, graffiti, car engines being revved loudly, jaywalking, loud angry shouting, and numerous other signs of societal rot. Care to guess the race of about 95% of the people doing these things?

I also spent two weeks in South Korea, and I saw clean streets, quiet, orderly people, no broken windows or graffiti, and normal sounding cars. I saw less litter on the ground in Seoul, a city of 10 million people, than I see on the ground in any single block in Baltimore -- and no, that is absolutely not an exaggeration. I found myself on the fringes of two different street demonstrations while in Seoul, and in both of them, the people were being quieter than I can hear at any random moment in Baltimore. I felt safer walking the streets of Seoul at night than I do in Baltimore in the daytime. I assume you can figure out the race of over 99% of the people I saw there in South Korea.

There is a huge, massive difference in the societal culture between what I witnessed in South Korea and what I witness in Baltimore. And by nearly any measure you care to name, Seoul is more successful than Baltimore.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
This would mean black americans would have to find some better country and immigrate there with everything already setup by another group. Black people would have to go to that country and start tapping into the grants and scholarships meant for some oppressed group that was already in that country. Blacks would have to go to that new country and side with the dominate society against that oppressed group. Blacks would have to go to that new country and use that oppressed group as their financial base by opening up little restaurants and beauty supply shops...nothing actually worthwhile or nutritious. Some blacks would have to cheat on exams as well.
They do, they do, many blacks from Africa come to the US just for the reasons you listed.

So, why are not blacks born in the US doing the same?

Oh yea...

Old 06-22-2020, 12:30 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,717,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
the destruction of the family unit, which is the byproduct or us becoming a more secular society, is the reason behind the downfall of america.
I think that is a by product of capitalism. I think capitalism wants more people in the workplace and more individualism. Individuals have to buy individual things....instead of sharing them....like a home and appliances. Individualism fuels the growth of capitalism but individualism destroys the collectivism of FAMILY and sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies