Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 11:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Entirely possible. I've always seen Asians wearing masks on crowded streets or in airports. Looks like they had the right idea.

I catch 3 or 4 colds a year despite frequent handwashing and avoiding touching door handles and elevator buttons and the like.
Makes me wonder if there are per-capita statistics on the number of flu/cold patients in East Asia vs Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 11:17 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And the reality is that if you are gasping for air you won't refuse treatment
Your knowledge of my values and objectives, is keener than my own. Fantastic! I should appeal to you for a whole bevy of psychiatric counseling and lifestyle advice. Do you charge by the hour?

Old 06-28-2020, 11:39 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
God, what a stupid thing to fight over! If you're scared, stay home. Nobody but YOU is responsible for YOUR safety! I honestly don't give a crap about the safety of anyone whom I've never met, is not my friend or my family member or someone who demonstrably gives a crap about me.

Yes, I admittedly am selfish. I am one selfish SOB. Sue me for being selfish if that makes you feel better. Lotsa luck.

The collectivist screed about each of us being responsible for the health and well being of all the members of the collective is simply insane!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:01 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
God, what a stupid thing to fight over! If you're scared, stay home. Nobody but YOU is responsible for YOUR safety! I honestly don't give a crap about the safety of anyone whom I've never met, is not my friend or my family member or someone who demonstrably gives a crap about me.

Yes, I admittedly am selfish. I am one selfish SOB. Sue me for being selfish if that makes you feel better. Lotsa luck.

The collectivist screed about each of us being responsible for the health and well being of all the members of the collective is simply insane!
Since when are people proud to be sociopaths? Maybe you should see a psychologist.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM

672 posts, read 256,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since when are people proud to be sociopaths? Maybe you should see a psychologist.

They take their queues from TraitorInChief.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:05 PM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Entirely possible. I've always seen Asians wearing masks on crowded streets or in airports. Looks like they had the right idea.

I catch 3 or 4 colds a year despite frequent handwashing and avoiding touching door handles and elevator buttons and the like.
Masks do help reduce transmission but I see many people in indoor environments like post offices and supermarkets talking away in proximity to someone. People need to get what they need and move on and please shut up when indoors as the masks do not grant immunity. If they need to talk to someone go outside and get away from indoor airspace.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:13 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times
Quote:

I see why you like Trump. He is a good fit for you.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:24 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This is exactly right. Instead, the so-called "experts" and the mass media partered together to incite mass panic to an extreme that none of us has certainly ever seen before, and probably never imagined happening in real life.

All this was based on "models" created by these same so-called "experts" which were wildly exaggerated, and as we know now, just plain wrong.

The initial lock-downs were draconian, excessive, and destructive on a scale we have not seen since WWII. Even now that we have been released from most of these constraints in most parts of the country, this sort of an extreme, authoritarian approach continues to appeal to and be advocated by those in our society who are supportive of authoritarian rule. It is a tendency that is malicious, creepy and actually quite sinister and foreboding.

As a result, the credibility of the so-called "experts," the panic-promoting mass-media and those who are supporting and advocating for a totalitarian lock-down response, is weak and shaky at best. If they had taken a more moderate and less hysterical approach from the beginning, like they should have, then there would be a lot more support for a more moderate proposal like wearing masks in crowded public places now.

But no. The Democrat left mob went into action early, literal hysteria and panic were fomented and encouraged by these wildly irresponsible people, and now there is a segment of the population who very rationally and reasonably regards the people who incited the initial panic, advocated the excessive lock-down measures, and who want to keep us in that state for what appears to be a very long time if they get their way, as the biggest problem that we have right now.

So it should come as no surprise that the people who are reluctant to wear masks are adopting this attitude in significant part because of their concern and skepticism about the motives of these people who they regard as our primary problem right now, certainly exceeding any problems associated with this virus.
Well stated!

Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Wearing a mask violates my constitutional right and as such I refuse to give it up for short term security.
Which constitutional right would that be?

Quote:
That can includes staying at home and even putting blanket over their head.
You must be reading misinformation again. Blankets aren't going to help, unless they're secured tightly around your face.

Quote:
Government can't mandate that yow wear pants
Actually, it can. There are plenty of laws surrounding public decency. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Instead we have the imposition of a new social norm, together with withering condemnation of anyone who refuses to comply... or who even grumbles about it.
Perhaps at one time there was an imposition of the social norm to wear shoes in public. And yet we all seem to have adapted nicely.

Quote:
Yes, I cherish my comfort more than I cherish your safety.
Everyone? Even your own family? That's curious.

Quote:
It have nothing to do with acting like bunch of spoiled brats and everything to do with denying government the power to tell us what to do.
In other words, it have [sic] everything to do with acting like a spoiled brat.

You pay taxes? Stop at stop signs? Refrain from assaulting people or stealing? If you do all that, you're doing what the government tells you to do.

So who's acting like a spoiled brat again?
Quote:
It's called living in a society. If the norms of living in society don't suit you, you're welcome to leave.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:36 PM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well stated!
No, just another anti-science conspiracy post.

It got all the buzz words in there, panic, its the media, models don't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies